IGNORED

Tennessee Declares Bible Official State Book (Illegally)

Cactus

thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/tennessee_house_passes_bill_declaring_christian_bible_the_official_state_book

The House lawmakers were counseled by none other than Tennessee Attorney General Herb Slatery, who advised them that "designating The Holy Bible as the official state book of Tennessee would violate the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the federal Constitution and Article I, § 3, of the Tennessee Constitution, which provides 'that no preference shall ever be given, by law, to any religious establishment or mode of worship.'"

And yet they did it anyway. If not even the knowledge that their law is unconstitutional will dissuade these people, what will???

:head-desk: nothing like going against the constitution because you think your religion is more important then following the law you swore to follow. Now every red state is going to be killing themselves to rush to do the same. THIS IS NOT A CHRISTIAN COUNTRY. repeat this is not a christian country.

:head-desk: nothing like going against the constitution because you think your religion is more important then following the law you swore to follow. Now every red state is going to be killing themselves to rush to do the same. THIS IS NOT A CHRISTIAN COUNTRY. repeat this is not a christian country.

Could not agree with you more. I really think our forefathers are rolling in their graves with the fundies and their political motives

Any liberal FJers in TN? Care to write to the Supreme Court and call out this constitutional violation? :lol:

But... but... our forefathers were Christian, and divinely inspired, so OF COURSE this is a CHRISTIAN NATION founded on CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLES.

Now everyone gather near and join in for a collective eyeroll. :roll:

Which version of the Bible did they chose to be the official one? The Catholic Bible has more books in it, but the charming Pastor Anderson prefers the King James Bible. My church uses the New Revised Standard Version, so I think they should use that one. Maybe they could spend more taxpayer money and have a giant debate over whose Bible is best. That would be an excellent use of funds by politicians who claim to be fiscal conservatives. :roll:

At least the bill accomplished the task of dividing Tennessee’s conservatives. Conservative opponents felt that the Bible is too sacred to be demeaned in such a way. They objected to their holy book joining such mundane symbols as the tomato, the state fruit, and the cave salamander, the state amphibian.

Well, whatever works. As my mother used to tell me, “You have a point, but part your hair right and it won’t show.â€

Which version of the Bible did they chose to be the official one? The Catholic Bible has more books in it, but the charming Pastor Anderson prefers the King James Bible. My church uses the New Revised Standard Version, so I think they should use that one. Maybe they could spend more taxpayer money and have a giant debate over whose Bible is best. That would be an excellent use of funds by politicians who claim to be fiscal conservatives. :roll:

Now, that is an excellent question. As ridiculous this whole thing is, it would have some entertainment value seeing these fundies quarrel about which edition of the bible they should take. Such fanatics tend to be very particular about their bible after all, and wont back down until they have the only "correct" one installed.

And yes, it's an outrage that taxpayers' money is wasted for such shit. I would make these idiots pay personally for the incurred costs. Squandering tax money should be treated as a crime, just like tax fraud already is.

I learned a long time ago to ignore the religious zealots in the state. My eyes would be permanently rolled back inside my head if I didn't. I'm glad the bill wasn't backed by the governor, state attorney general, or the senate!

I thought this was a positive story to counteract the idiocy.

http://www.wbir.com/story/insession/201 ... /25874597/

Nice article. I'm glad to have a heads-up on this since I'm sure my elderly Tea Party loving aunt will contact me later today about it. She loves to upset herself about stuff like this.

Over at the Sharper Iron forums, the opinions on this range from "unconstitutional" to "pathetic" to "utter silliness." Even many Christian conservatives see this for the cynical politcal game it is.

sharperiron.org/filings/041115/30799

So the Bible only belongs to Tennessee? It was made special for them? Cool.

I've always theorized that you could set Inherit The Wind (based on the Scopes Monkey Trial and set in, yes, Tennessee) in the modern day and not change a word. Looks like that's not far off.

Sometimes I hate living here.

I really dont hate living in TN, but stories like these are an embarrassment to me though not surprising. There are financially struggling people in this state who still vote GOP so go figure.

Agreed. The US founding fathers were deist masons. Christianity was in their culture, but it wasn't apart of their political ideologies.

Thank goodness they weren't truly Christian--the US Constitution is that much better for it.

Archived