IGNORED

Men are the most targeted & hated minority group - Kelly @GC

Effie

Oh please, Kelly. How was this SUDDENLY happened since Feminism? I give you....the Honeymooners. The Dick Van Dyke Show. It's asinine to suggest that women somehow castrate men because of media influences. Who exactly are the people making these programs and movies? That's right. MEN. White men for the most part.

I really fear for the daughters of these idiots. Not only are they told that the only thing they should dream about EVER is being a wife and mother, and if those marriages don't work out they have absolutely no way to support these families, but also that they need to raise men to positions of high esteem because they are mysteriously 'put down.' Tragically stupid.

I don't mind pointing out that not insulting the handsome pinhead that Kelly is married to must be a difficult task [this is the guy that put two small children in a cart pulled by a horse he didn't know]. She let slip the other day that he's working construction for her FATHER. So let me see...they live on her father's property, her husband is only able to find work with her father....but social services to help other people are baaaaaaad. Yeah. Okay.]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I may've reached a FJ milestone. This is the first time I can recall being truly, completely incoherent and speechless in response to fundie fuckery.

Stereotypes != oppression. They usually contribute to the development of oppression, and they are certainly harmful in their own right, but it's ridiculous to believe that the presence and existence of common, one-dimensional media tropes gives a group that has been a powerful majority throughout history an experience anything like those of African-Americans or the disabled. I have nothing but contempt for this woman.

She has CORRECTED herself. It doesn't say minority any more. Kelly just meant "minority" in the sense of "disrespected," she explains, when it was pointed out to her that men are hardly a minority - she didn't stop to think until then that the "numbers" didn't match up with reality. Since when does "minority" MEAN disrespected? Maybe she meant "marginalized" which often tends to go along with being a minority? Men are hardly marginalized, either, but whatevs.

I like dianapavelovna's distinction between stereotypes and oppression. Maybe you should post it to Kelly, although the vocabulary might be too much for her.

She has CORRECTED herself. It doesn't say minority any more. Kelly just meant "minority" in the sense of "disrespected," she explains, when it was pointed out to her that men are hardly a minority - she didn't stop to think until then that the "numbers" didn't match up with reality. Since when does "minority" MEAN disrespected? Maybe she meant "marginalized" which often tends to go along with being a minority? Men are hardly marginalized, either, but whatevs.

I like dianapavelovna's distinction between stereotypes and oppression. Maybe you should post it to Kelly, although the vocabulary might be too much for her.

I noticed that as well. I have realized that she is not well-informed. Imagine that a person who knows so little will homeschool 9 children. Since she is against college that means her children won't get any other education than the one she will offer them. However I was positively surprised when I read in Bria's blog that she has a history teacher (someone other than Kelly). However it would have been better if she had an English teacher...

May 31, 2011: "And my dear friend and history teacher brought a bookshelf full of classics and all sorts of history. (Thank you Mrs. Diamond!!!)"

"Men are the most targeted and hated minority group that exists. They are open game and no one dares to protest." From Kelly's post Male-Hating Brainwashing Begins Early.

Um...I protest. I protest discriminating against anyone based on race, sex, gender, etc., that they can't control. I don't know what planet she's living on that says that men are a minority group. If she's thinking that fewer than half the people in America are men, well, everyone is a minority with how the sex balance flip-flops. In fact, with no clear majority anymore, I think that the word "minority" needs to be replaced. She's technically using "minority" in a correct context, ie "not the majority," but she's misusing it in context. Also there's no rampant hate of men. It's not cool how men are made out to be stupid pigs in so many TV shows, but that's different than hating men for being men.

Still, that doesn't erase the fact that she's trying to drum up sympathy. I wonder who she sees as less privileged, a black man or a white woman. I'm just waiting for her to start in on how whites are the most hated next.

People who say shit like "wish I was black or an asylum seeker then I'd get all the benefits" annoy the hell out of me. It's like people who say "Oh, if I was in prison I'd get three hot meals a day and a games console and, and...maybe instead of being lawabiding and hardworking I should just commit a crime, huh?" I guarantee any of those saying that, if they were actually arrested and jailed, would soon change their tune.

Archived