IGNORED

Men are the most targeted & hated minority group - Kelly @GC

Effie

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah help me. I feel like hitting my head in the wall right now.

The Momma @ The Straightened Path says:

August 31, 2011 at 5:16 am

Great stuff to embrace today! I shared this on my blog too. http://www.thestraightenedpathDOTcom/20 ... hters.html

The Momma @ The Straightened Path says:

August 31, 2011 at 10:29 am

Aw, this post scored me my first somewhat derogatory comment on my blog ever! I feel so excited that the Lord is using my blog to spark conviction and causing people, regardless of their beliefs, to know why they believe what they believe!

SO the derogatory comment is apparently this one:

"We are raising our daughters to grow up to be valued as equal human beings. We are teaching our daughters that women should have the same rights and possibilities as men. Nothing less, nothing more.

Sorry but no, you have not enlightened me. "

Edit to change parts to italic text.

How does she explain then that 90% of power positions are occupied by this hated and reviled "minority"? I'm amazed by some fundies' capacity to ignore reality.

Ugh. Just Ugh.

Kelly is such a mooch and dumb as a post, so I wouldn't be surprised if her brother did her homework.

This is one of the topics that infuriates me about fundies no end. They *hate* feminism because it's evvvil and of the debbil, but then they turn around and venerate the men simply because they are men. I mean, isn't there something written down about having no idols before God and isn't what they call feminism)? I fail to see how this is, logically, different.

I wish they could see that their religion is not about Jesus. It's about making man a god simply because he's a man.

Yet another reason I cannot read Kelly without wanting to vomit.

Only going off of what I've read here (haven't read Kelly's blog) I don't agree with the idea that men are the most targeted group out there. However, I'm not a fan of the way men seem to be portrayed as of late as these bumbling idiots that need their wives and/or children to function. If you watch commercials it seems like all the men are completely incompetent at anything and everything they do, while their wives are blessed saints (including eye rolls and sarcasm) for putting up with their being idiots. When you look at some TV shows you see the same bumbling guy who can't seem to put two and two together to get four without his wife helping him out. At least this is the impression I get when I watch these things.

So while I don't think men are targeted I do think they can be portrayed better on TV.

Guest Anonymous
Only going off of what I've read here (haven't read Kelly's blog) I don't agree with the idea that men are the most targeted group out there. However, I'm not a fan of the way men seem to be portrayed as of late as these bumbling idiots that need their wives and/or children to function. If you watch commercials it seems like all the men are completely incompetent at anything and everything they do, while their wives are blessed saints (including eye rolls and sarcasm) for putting up with their being idiots. When you look at some TV shows you see the same bumbling guy who can't seem to put two and two together to get four without his wife helping him out. At least this is the impression I get when I watch these things.

So while I don't think men are targeted I do think they can be portrayed better on TV.

Feminists hate that shit too. At least, this feminist does. Because on the other side of the bumbling manchild coin is a woman who is a humorless scold. It's all crap.

Feminists hate that shit too. At least, this feminist does. Because on the other side of the bumbling manchild coin is a woman who is a humorless scold. It's all crap.

:clap:

If men are helpless, women still have to serve them. Women are created to serve: either superior men (most Christian viewpoints) or bumbling men (stereotypical media). It's not exactly a plus for women, either. Both roles function to keep women in their place quite nicely.

"Men are the most targeted and hated minority group that exists. They are open game and no one dares to protest." From Kelly's post Male-Hating Brainwashing Begins Early.

Minority group - where? On which planet is she living?

The most targeted group? Uh no. Men are the most privileged people out there.

Well white, middle-class or upper class men are the most privileged group that exists.

Lower class men are less privileged but still less targeted and exposed than lower class women.

Perhaps a white woman from the upper class might be more privileged than a lower class, black man...

However I think there are few cases where women would be more privileged than men, at least to that extension that we would say that men are the most targeted and hated people.

I don't get Kelly. Do you?

Nope, don't get her and don't know what planet she's living on.

While men certainly have all the rights that women do, in general those rights aren't threatened in our society. It's called patriarchy for a reason. I do think that rigid gender roles/stereotypes are as harmful to men as to women (it can't be easy being forced to be the tough manly uber-partiarch provider type all the time), but it is these roles and stereotypes that Kelly is trying to maintain and perpetuate.

DH has a David and Goliath shirt that says "It's all fun and games until someone loses a wiener." (stick figures roasting hot dogs)

I have one that says "I'd exercise but I might spill my drink."

Kelly just made me want to buy more of their overpriced humorous products...

:clap:

If men are helpless, women still have to serve them. Women are created to serve: either superior men (most Christian viewpoints) or bumbling men (stereotypical media). It's not exactly a plus for women, either. Both roles function to keep women in their place quite nicely.

It almost never fails.... my MIL just linked this "article" on FB. She also links frequently to the Wise Woman June Fuentes (WHY WHY WHY? of all the vapid contentless blogs!) AND recently started quoting the Time-Warp Wife (of whom I had just heard thanks to FJ).

Would it be way too passive-aggressive of me to post the "I'm too pretty" shirt, either in response or independently?

Really? REALLY?!

Fuck you.

What crack are you smoking?

I'm sorry, you've all said nicer and more intelligent things that I agree with as well, but ridiculous statements like that make NUTS. It completely invalidates the struggles of those who have complete with the white, male, privileged middle class. (Not that it's their fault, mind, but that's just the reality of the situation.) My boyfriend falls smack dab into that category of white, male, middle class recent grad who practically fell into a decent job - but he wholeheartedly understands that he got where he is due to these magical characteristics and how unfair it can be to the rest of society

:angry-banghead:

I remember why I avoid links to her as much as possible.

We teach the three white, middle class young men that I gave birth to that they need to understand and unpack that backpack of privilege that was bestowed on them just for being born. They don't need to feel guilty about it, but they do need to be aware of where society places them in juxtaposition to everyone else by no merit - or fault - of their own. I think this needs to be explicitly taught to young men in these group, in particular, because they don't necessarily just "get it" on their own. We've been banging this drum for years and the eldest finally has a grasp and the younger two are starting to understand.

I attempted a conversation like this just the other day with my 7-year-old girl who had just picked up a fallen feather, stuck it in her hair, and announced that she was just like an Indian. Warner Brothers Classics Looney Tunes Collection. No, I don't think we'll stick the disc in and let it run anymore. Yes, I screwed up. So I relayed as best I could that there are TV Indians and real Native Americans (including her auntie and her best friend's mom, holy crap how did I miss that damn cartoon?!) and that in general actual Native Americans get annoyed about the fake Indians in TV Land. I don't know if she can actually understand the concept of white privilege at her age, but I hope I conveyed that television Indians are not real.

When did you start the conversation about the invisible knapsack? I need some pointers.

I attempted a conversation like this just the other day with my 7-year-old girl who had just picked up a fallen feather, stuck it in her hair, and announced that she was just like an Indian. Warner Brothers Classics Looney Tunes Collection. No, I don't think we'll stick the disc in and let it run anymore. Yes, I screwed up. So I relayed as best I could that there are TV Indians and real Native Americans (including her auntie and her best friend's mom, holy crap how did I miss that damn cartoon?!) and that in general actual Native Americans get annoyed about the fake Indians in TV Land. I don't know if she can actually understand the concept of white privilege at her age, but I hope I conveyed that television Indians are not real.

When did you start the conversation about the invisible knapsack? I need some pointers.

Young children naturally believe that everyone else lives just like they do, so when opportunities presented themselves, we would point out the differences. Again, not to make them feel guilty, but just to make them think. We wanted them to understand that the family you're born into is just fate/chance/luck and there's no merit involved, but yet a lot of people (like most of the world) start out on the ladder of life several rungs lower by default and have to work very hard to get to the starting point that they can take for granted.

One thing that really crystallized this (and I wouldn't recommend it - lol) is that in early 2008, I was sexually harassed at work and ended up having to leave my job and hire an attorney and the whole ball of wax over it. The boys lived that with me and were outraged by the injustice of it, of course. This brought the specter of an injustice of this nature happening to someone who worked very hard professionally and "did everything right" to a very up-close and personal position in their lives. My boys know me, as much as anyone, and they were very confident that I could not have done anything to invite that. I will always be grateful for their support.

And I also made it clear to them that I was actually a lucky woman (although believe me, it didn't feel that way at the time) because I could afford the courage of my convictions. Reporting it and living with those consequences was not going to deprive my children of food on the table, as it would so many other women who must remain mute in the face of it because their kids need to eat.

I would say that these concepts are not fully grasped in one or two conversations. My husband and I both feel strongly about the issues of fairness and equality and so much of this has probably been "caught" rather than taught". It's a long, ongoing conversation. One that I hope will never end until there's no such thing as white male privilege any more.

I agree with you on how men are sometimes portrayed in the media through TV, and movies.

Check out the comments now! Kelly thinks white men have it worse than blacks or the disabled.

I don't think most white men would trade places with a black person or a disabled person. And though the folder in question is beyond ridiculous, and I would never purchase it for my hypothetical daughter, I'm a bit more disturbed with a bunch of neo-Nazis marching not far from me today.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/129103613.html

Hmm, I wonder if the NON-Thinking Housewife has heard of this rally? I bet it would be like a sunbeam to her clit.

On-topic: Interesting Kelly has her panties in a wad about a folder (a folder she got for free), but can't offer up a prayer for those affected by Hurricane Irene. Then again, Hurricane Irene affected people in places like NYC with its Jews, and gays, and women's libbers. And it also affected a Godless blue state Vermon, so who cares?

I agree with you on how men are sometimes portrayed in the media through TV, and movies.

Sometimes yes... but I don't think women have been or are fairly portrayed in TV and movies either. When it comes to movies, just go to something as "innocent" as the Disney movies. http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/fi ... 1_5001.jpg

Sometimes yes... but I don't think women have been or are fairly portrayed in TV and movies either. When it comes to movies, just go to something as "innocent" as the Disney movies. http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/fi ... 1_5001.jpg

Yes, I think we can all benefit by showing both men and women as the fully-actualized human beings they are in film and TV. Men are not all stupid buffoons, and women are not all nasty shrews (I'm looking in your direction, Judd Apatow).

Sadly, I think a lot of writers use these tired old memes because they are easy. You don't have to put much thought into your writing. And with the advent of reality TV, things have gotten worse. Writing has become so cheapened.

Archived