IGNORED

Pence signs 'religious freedom' bill Wal Mart reacts - MERGE

salex

I continue to be apalled at the irony, -that all peoples are allowed to demand their rights, but Christians are bashed for holding to their own religious convictions. Live and let live. Extend the very same tolerance that you expect. But consider where your own tolerance ends, and where, in its place, you demand validation. I'm not supporting the Duggars, here, but rather the religious freedoms of ALL. Christians, Muslims, atheists, Buddhists, etc,. -we are entitled (yes, that very same entitled) to expect tolerance as well. Wow,...sad.

I support a person's right to worship as they choose, but I draw the line when they attempt to deny equal rights to other people. Nowhere in the Bible is Jesus quoted saying anything regarding homosexuality. In fact, as far as I can recall, the only person who really mentions it is Paul - a man who never knew Jesus and was often at odds with Peter and James (one an Apostle and the other the brother of Jesus) regarding what Jesus' message and identity actually was. Peter and James believed he was a Jewish Messiah who was supposed to inspire the Jews to free themselves from Roman occupation; Paul turned him into the son of God. The only reason why Paul's view won was because of the sack of Jerusalem by the Romans; James and Peter had used the city as their base, while Paul roamed throughout Greece spreading his version of events. After the Diaspora, Jews who followed Paul distanced themselves from Judaism so as not to share in the Jewish people's suffering at Roman hands - a big part of that was claiming they believed Jesus was the son of God because the followers of Peter and James vehemently opposed the idea.

From a historical context, Christians began to view homosexuality as a sin not because of God but because it was practiced in ancient Rome and other pagan societies. They took something that came naturally to some and twisted it to be something dark and sinful. It was a way for them to stand out from the crowd and draw attention to themselves.

I honestly don't see why Christians continue to claim that homosexuality is a sin nor do I see any reason why they should be so opposed to the idea. But that isn't what is in question here - everyone has a right to their opinion, but they do no have the right to force that opinion onto other people and then claim it's they have the religious freedom to do so.

No one is denying someone's right to worship or practice their religion. We are denying their right to discriminate against others. If that appalls you or disgusts you then I humbly suggest you read up on the Civil Rights Movement - opponents to equal rights for all races also used religious justification for doing so and we all know how wrong they were.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't Gothard against working for other people for a living?

Yes, I could see Derick ditching WM for Duggarville employment- what a mistake that would be, IMO!

If JB tries to force that, the Dillards better run for the hills.

Why would anyone want J & D to divorce? That would be really sad. D won't leave Wal-Mart. That's like saying he'd leave the country if there were a few policies he didn't agree with.

Honestly, I doubt the Duggars care. They will hold companies up as poster children for "great ethics," but they won't stop going to a company for something like this.

Hell, they are on TLC. If they really had a problem with companies not holding "Christian values," they would have left TLC years ago. Hell, they probably never would have signed on with them.

All the Duggars care about is lining their pockets with cash. They'll look the other way in order to keep more of the loot. If WM is the cheapest place in town, that's where the Duggars will shop.

As long as TLC is willing to pay them, they'll stick around.

They LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE WalMart. They gush on and on about Sam Walton in their first book, in fact JB uses Sam's guidelines for employees on his own kids.

Interesting that JB think of his children as employees. Very telling.

Derick is not under Jim Bob's headship, despite what Boob wants to believe, and as far as I can tell he's not a Gothardite. He may be as fundie as they come, I don't know, but he's clearly not following Gothard's employment rules.

I'm sure many of us have worked for employers who didn't necessarily share our personal values.

Derick is not under Jim Bob's headship, despite what Boob wants to believe, and as far as I can tell he's not a Gothardite. He may be as fundie as they come, I don't know, but he's clearly not following Gothard's employment rules.

I'm sure many of us have worked for employers who didn't necessarily share our personal values.

Not I.

Now that Arkansas' governor said he would not sign the bill in its present form, I wonder if the Duggars are perplexed. The governor stated in his press conference that the issue was divided along generational lines and that even his own son urged him to veto the bill. What must the Duggar's think? When you live in such a tight bubble you must be gobsmacked at the idea that so many people do not agree with you.

If you need an example of how delusional some of these right-wing religious fanatics are, they are introducing similar legislation in Nevada. Nevada????

Now that Arkansas' governor said he would not sign the bill in its present form, I wonder if the Duggars are perplexed. The governor stated in his press conference that the issue was divided along generational lines and that even his own son urged him to veto the bill. What must the Duggar's think? When you live in such a tight bubble you must be gobsmacked at the idea that so many people do not agree with you.

If you need an example of how delusional some of these right-wing religious fanatics are, they are introducing similar legislation in Nevada. Nevada????

I can't understand how the uber right has become so popular in recent decades. It seems like they are trying to move our country back, not to the 50s, but to the Victorian era.

He's witne$$ed the backla$h in IN-

It's alway$ about the money...even the Gothardite JB know$ that fact.

If JB and M's Gothardite conviction$ were $o $trong, Gothard would be prominently di$played in their $how- they know what they can (not) $ay and hide in order to keep the gravy train running. The Gov of AR know$ that too, only on a bigger $cale.

I can't understand how the uber right has become so popular in recent decades. It seems like they are trying to move our country back, not to the 50s, but to the Victorian era.

This in despite of the urging from many more moderate GOP members to move away from that arena. The focus on social, wedge issues needs to decrease- This is not the area most Americans want GOVERNMENT worried about and focused on.

Derick leaving Walmart would rank right up there with Gil Bates leaving Nabisco. Derick needs to take Jill and their son and get out from under JB's thumb. Better now than later. The dog and pony show won't last forever. Derick has a good job, and Jill can finish her midwifery training.

Oh, my, Christmas came early!

I don't know how to link a photo here, so maybe another FJ'er could clue me in... It seems Joshie-Poo has spoken out about his support for Governor Pence and his "religious freedom" legislation on Instagram!

Woooooo-hooooooo!

I can hardly wait to print this sucker off and send it to the CEO of Discovery Networks. Hope you like moving back into the TTH with your wife and four kids, Josh!

Oh, but people could have such fun with a bill such as this one. Think of the possibilities:

"My religion calls for funerary cannibalism [it is April 1st. after all], because eating the dead gives me their powah. I'm emigrating to the US - Indiana in particular - to open a funeral home that caters to my, er, taste...and sorry, but Christians and Jews are totally banned. Satanists, however, are quite welcome because I assume at least some of them would have no problem with allowing me to exercise my religious prerogative.

"There are some people in Canada who'd love to strip me of my citizenship, and I'm sure a few would chip in for not only the airfare to fly me to Indiana but also start up funds for my, ahem, business venture. And since a lot of other companies there will be closing down, it seems, people will be just dying to get into mine.

OH YEAH, INDIANA! HERE I FUCKIN' COME!"

They LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE WalMart. They gush on and on about Sam Walton in their first book, in fact JB uses Sam's guidelines for employees on his own kids.

Interesting that JB think of his children as employees. Very telling.

Just like Ken Alexander thinks wives are to be treated like employees by their husbands... it is a constant example he uses.

Sigh. I think the CEO of Discovery Network, like the Duggar's, only care about $$$. I think I will start boycotting advertised products, and writing companies to explain why. However, I never watch the show. Does anyone know what the big sponsors are? Thanks.

I continue to be apalled at the irony, -that all peoples are allowed to demand their rights, but Christians are bashed for holding to their own religious convictions. Live and let live. Extend the very same tolerance that you expect. But consider where your own tolerance ends, and where, in its place, you demand validation. I'm not supporting the Duggars, here, but rather the religious freedoms of ALL. Christians, Muslims, atheists, Buddhists, etc,. -we are entitled (yes, that very same entitled) to expect tolerance as well. Wow,...sad.

Christians are more than welcome to hold their religious beliefs, but they aren't welcome to use their religion to discriminate and deny rights to others which is what many fundamental Christians want.

and so it begins the first idiots to declare they won't cater to a gay wedding. The only problem is they don't do catering so really they just want to feel persecuted. Yelp is having a blast with them.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties ... riminating

http://www.yelp.com/biz/memories-pizza-walkerton

Was a little disappointed by the girth of their pepperoni, and frankly I've had better sausage. I like em thick, myself.

The sauce was a little salty, but who can blame them.

Overall, the dough did little to stuff my hole thoroughly, It was okay for like the first five minutes, but I left feeling a little unfulfilled overall. though it would rise a little bit once I gave it more heat. Normally, I don't do italians, and this didnt have me convinced, but I might be back for another tease.

Would love to see some flexibility in their menu though, perhaps they can bend it in half, love me a good calzone

and so it begins the first idiots to declare they won't cater to a gay wedding. The only problem is they don't do catering so really they just want to feel persecuted. Yelp is having a blast with them.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties ... riminating

http://www.yelp.com/biz/memories-pizza-walkerton

See what I mean? Don't pass this chance to wreak (legal) havoc with supporters of that idiot bill.

Okay, it really needs to be said. There's something most bad people know that most good people do not: Bad people are vastly outnumbered; that's why, when ever they get their hands on a shred of power, be in the form of a document or a lead pipe, they use it with zeal.

They know there are more of you. They know you're better than them - most do, anyway. And they know that if this "secret" ever gets out, the good will eventually turn on the bad and dismantle every rotten thing they try to do in their efforts to stratify society.

Every time they try shit like this, it works - for awhile. And then, almost inexorably, the rational minds start looking at it and thinking "Five of them, 50 of us." So black people stopped taking the buses, and the companies with the white-first policies had to cave because a massive chunk of their daily bread had been cooked by black people.

And it doesn't matter how much pizza homosexuals will buy - not on their own; it matters how much people who believe in equal rights will buy. And when companies with anti-discrimination policies move, and companies that discriminate fold, that bill will be turned into what it should have been all along: Pulp.

People with rational minds don't need to walk with their heads down in Indiana; they have to Go. Fucking. Nuts. There are more of you!

There are more of you everywhere, and more of you every day.

Honestly, I doubt the Duggars care. They will hold companies up as poster children for "great ethics," but they won't stop going to a company for something like this.

Hell, they are on TLC. If they really had a problem with companies not holding "Christian values," they would have left TLC years ago. Hell, they probably never would have signed on with them.

The love their iphones. Apple is pro-equality and the CEO is gay. They will still be in love with walmart.

Not I.

My husband won't work for a place that doesn't share our values. And he doesn't. None of his employers have ever come out against equal rights. All of them have supported equal rights. This isn't coincidence.

Archived