IGNORED

Phil Robertson, Delivers Speech About Atheist Family

Toothfairy

Gosh, why would you listen to Phil Robertson on this when he's just a TV celebrity.. but Matt Walsh is an internet celebrity and all around know it all, and thus far more qualified to tell you why atheists suck than Phil is...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh while slightly OT, as soon as that show is cancelled, Phil's kids will shave off their beards and ditch that camo, pronto. I can see them going straight back to their clean cut, preppy look they sported before, complete with golf clubs.

Thanks for playing along. I've got some more questions/comments:

If it is impossible for an atheist to have morals, why would he assume that an atheist would be horrified by the story?

Would rape, murder and torture be okay if you believed that God approved? Did their Christianity stop Crusuders from murdering, raping and pillaging?

If I believe that right and wrong objectively exist, and that things like rape and murder are wrong, why would I think that there is anything moral about a religious teaching that faith in Jesus is more important than actual moral conduct? Isn't there something totally fucked up about believing that the victims would go to hell and the murderers would go to heaven?

If earthly punishment is the only lasting consequence for a murderer who "finds Jesus", isn't that exactly the same thing that he thinks keeps atheists in line?

Pretending to be Phil:

Well I can't do it. I am truly mystified as to what Phil thought he was doing with that story.

No longer pretending to be Phil:

Most of my life, I felt like my church and Christianity was always trying to prove how awful life was if you weren't a Bible-believing, born-again Christian. Phil just royally messed up with this story, maybe some of those football concussions are coming back to haunt him?

You can't have any conversation about Crusaders or Inquisition or church history or anything like that at all because that's all ebil Catholic doings and everyone knows those statue-worshiping, Mary-loving papists are fake Christians. That's all just further evidence the Catholic Church is not really Christian and all that matters is Martin Luther to the present time. Plus Sodom/Gomorrah/salt pillars.

Yeah, that is a messed up thought that the innocent victims are doomed straight to hell while the criminals get to lollygag around here on Earth with a zillion chances of prisoner conversion and thus straight shot to Heaven.

Maybe Phil is subtly suggesting Christians should be the intended victims of murder bc they are all going to Heaven, provided ofc they are the right kind of Christian and have paid up all their tithes and offerings and hadn't worn jeans since finding Jesus.

Yeah, in regards to your last comment... idk. I can't follow Phil's line of reasoning or rationale for this story. I think I need someone to explain it to me verrrrrry slowly so maybe I'll get it.

And then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot them and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off in front of him. And then they can look at him and say, 'Isn't it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn't it great that there's nothing wrong with this? There's no right or wrong, now is it dude?'

Then you take a sharp knife and take his manhood and hold it in front of him and say, 'Wouldn't it be something if this [sic] was something wrong with this? But you’re the one who says there is no God, there’s no right, there’s no wrong, so we’re just having fun. We're sick in the head, have a nice day.'

While I was busy trying to wrap my head around the idea that as an atheist I must have no way to judge that castrating someone is wrong (really I don't know why I'm not out castrating men willy-nilly everyday!) my husband was focusing on the "decapitate her head off" as though you could decapitate a different body part or you could decapitate someone but the head would not be off.

I also got confused by not only the point of the story but by who was doing what to whom?. At first I thought the castration was revenge for the rape but since the husband is tied up it must be the "sick in the head" intruders. So why does Phil use "Then you take a sharp knife..." Who is "you"? Phil? His audience? Is this his sick fantasy of what he would like to do to all atheists?

Its funny how the religious people are cheering him on. Yet, atheist are the ones without morals??? Keep supporting a man that obviously has a mind full of hate, among other disgusting thoughts. You are the reason people are turning away from religion. No one wants to be associated with hateful people.

Does Phil see how many Christians rape, muder, steal, hate? Or is he so damn stupid and almighty that he thinks he's a special snowflake.

Oh while slightly OT, as soon as that show is cancelled, Phil's kids will shave off their beards and ditch that camo, pronto. I can see them going straight back to their clean cut, preppy look they sported before, complete with golf clubs.

I swear I gave no clue who the hell these people are. I watched a few clips of their show and read some comments on their fb page. I don't know why they're famous. They look like hillbillies. Most of their fans are "christians" who will defend these people until you finally give up. Sadie is pretty though. But I still don't understand the importance of these people

For billions of years, things existed without you, then you came along, and you exist for a span of time that, in the grand scheme, isn't much longer than a fruit fly, and once you die you will decay and be nothing. So why does it matter what you do or who you do it to? We are not significant, aside from whatever arbitrary significance we ascribe to ourselves.

The logical conclusion of materialism and atheism, then, is that all morality is random and rooted in nothing but our emotional convictions. Therefore, all morality is really nothing. And if morality is nothing, then, really, there is nothing actually "wrong" with rape and murder, aside from how it infringes on man made codes of conduct.

We know this is the conclusion of atheism, yet most atheists refuse to come to this conclusion, and that's a good thing. Now we can only hope that they'll stop and ask themselves why they're so afraid to take their views to their logical conclusions. Could it be because the conclusion isn't logical, and neither is atheism?>Quote

Sorry, quote button is not working for some odd reason.

Anyway, wtf did I just read? :wtf: I am going to guess Walsh never bothered to pay attention in any of his science courses. Even I, as a non math and science person because my mind never really worked that way as much as I wish it did, knows this is a pile on nonsensical rubbish.

A person is just a collection of bones and skin? I'm pretty sure atheists believe people have a conscience and a mind. Except sociopaths. Sociopaths don't have a developed conscience. But I take it he never bothered to take any psychology courses or sociology courses in school either or he just never payed a lick of attention in them either.

It does matter if you harm someone else because they are living, sentient beings like us and as such we do not have the right to do harm to another person. Theft, adultery, rape, murder, they all harm other people. That the concept escapes Walsh says a lot more about him than it does about me or my bf who are atheists.

Also Hindus, who believe in many gods and goddesses, often believe killing animals is a sin and that animals and people are just as important as the other. Because they put animals on the same level of importance as humans, does that mean that Hindus are not logical and their morality is not either?

And materialism and atheism are not synonymous. Materialism is a philosophical idea, not necessarily a scientific idea. Walsh knows what materialism is (kinda, though clearly does not seem to understand it), but does not know the difference between philosophy and science.

How is Walsh so popular again? Not only is a douchecanoe, but he's also really quite stupid and doesn't have a damn clue what he is talking about the majority of the time. Seriously Walsh followers, there are more intelligent people who believe in what you do that you could be listening to instead. There's no need to listen to a moron. :pull-hair:

How is Walsh so popular again? Not only is a douchecanoe, but he's also really quite stupid and doesn't have a damn clue what he is talking about the majority of the time. Seriously Walsh followers, there are more intelligent people who believe in what you do that you could be listening to instead. There's no need to listen to a moron. :pull-hair:

I don't get it. Not at all. Walsh is exactly what you said - plus, he's a 20-something misogynistic know it all who just runs off at the (virtual) mouth. In the interest of my blood pressure, I had to block his stuff on FB because I was more than sick of seeing it linked by FB "friends". OT aside: I think there are a whole lot of people on FB who have reading comprehension issues and merely pass on links for anything their "friends" have linked. Sometimes I worry about the collective IQ...

The collective IQ? I gave up on it when I realized that a series like Duck Dynasty would last way beyond the 6 episodes that were truly comical and fresh... while persons with real talent were left to sing / dance / act for their own enjoyment while making a living in call centers or as tour guides or what-have-you.

Since "there's no such thing as bad publicity" in this mucked-up world, Hatephil Robertson will continue to cash in on his family business as well as the tv gravy train, and humble Christians will continue to be unfairly painted as evil by the same broad brush, at least in many persons' minds.

If that made any sense. I think I'm seeing red so much that it's coming out my fingertips & affecting my frickin' keyboard.

I don't get it. Not at all. Walsh is exactly what you said - plus, he's a 20-something misogynistic know it all who just runs off at the (virtual) mouth. In the interest of my blood pressure, I had to block his stuff on FB because I was more than sick of seeing it linked by FB "friends". OT aside: I think there are a whole lot of people on FB who have reading comprehension issues and merely pass on links for anything their "friends" have linked. Sometimes I worry about the collective IQ...

The day I figured out how to block Matt Walsh's posts on facebook was a happy day indeed.

Its funny how the religious people are cheering him on. Yet, atheist are the ones without morals??? Keep supporting a man that obviously has a mind full of hate, among other disgusting thoughts. You are the reason people are turning away from religion. No one wants to be associated with hateful people.

Does Phil see how many Christians rape, muder, steal, hate? Or is he so damn stupid and almighty that he thinks he's a special snowflake.

No, he's just a really bad, evil person who only avoids outright killing because he thinks he's being spied on by his god. He's like a small child who hasn't been taught right from wrong and so will do anything they think they can get away with when the adults aren't watching. He has no morals whatsoever, he just goes by what's in his magic book, so whenit supports racism, rape, violence, genocide, slavery, etc, etc, he's glad of the chance to indulge. Christians scare me. What moral person would choose to worship that god when there are others out there who are orders of magnitude less repulsive?

I have ebb not read or listened to him but what you are describing sounds like Rush Limbaugh for a new generation.

I have ebb not read or listened to him but what you are describing sounds like Rush Limbaugh for a new generation.

Sort of/ kind of. I think Walsh is worse than Rush. But yes, most of those "sharing" his stuff that popped up on my FB are (sadly) the younger generation (thankfully, not my own adult kids - I tried to raise them to think for themselves).

[tab=30]

WTF.

Despite what he thinks, it is possible to have morals without God. Being an atheist doesn't mean you think there is no right or wrong.

I haven't even finished the thread, but this is exactly what I was thinking. Since when does atheism mean not believing in judgment by a court of law?

Mr. Robertson, you are a narrow-minded moron of the lowest order; go out and learn something.

[tab=30]

I haven't even finished the thread, but this is exactly what I was thinking. Since when does atheism mean not believing in judgment by a court of law?

Mr. Robertson, you are a narrow-minded moron of the lowest order; go out and learn something.

Dude, I almost accidentally shoplifted last week and freaked out. I realized there was an item under my purse in the cart as I was exiting the store (and took it right back to a cashier) and realized I could never even physically make it as a thief. I'd pass out from the anxiety 2 steps out the door. But I have no morals or conscience and think rape and decapitating those heads [sic] is totes cool because there's no hell. Uh huh.

Robertson had the truth in his bloody jaws and chose to spit it out so as to make room for his idiotic fantasy:

People may be driven by belief to do vile things, but ultimately it doesn't matter what a person believes: What a person does is what makes him or her objectively good or bad - and those concepts can be measured even by materialists: Bad has a negative and sometimes irreversible effect on other sentient beings who are capable of thinking and feeling. It doesn't matter whether we are dust when we die, or eternal; it matters what we do here to other people who are like ourselves. (This many years, and I still wrote that without considering its implications.)

It doesn't matter if we are dust when we die, or eternal; it matters what we do to other people.

Atheism is merely a lack of belief in deities; it's neutral. Whether you kill a man because you're a nihilist with a sadistic streak or a holy roller who thinks his talking dog told him to kill people the net effect is the exact same.

ETA: I know there's a whole philosophical argument about "good harm" (such as the pain after corrective or life-saving surgery) and "bad harm." I'm speaking specifically and only of the latter. Bad does exist, objectively, and it can be measured if even just by a simple body count.

Okay I did some research on this guy/ family. Just a Bunch of red neck, assholes. How in hell can he say this about atheism and homosexuality when HE was FREE to live HIS life the way HE wanted to. Drugs (alcohol), adultery, etc. He also abused his wife. The hypocrisy coming from his nasty, slick, mouth. Jesus isn't happy with Phil.

Apparently Duck Dynasty doesn't even get the ratings they used to get anymore. Most of their fans are white Republican christians :roll: Who always defend this family's behavior. A & E wanted to cancel the show but they got death threats. I still don't know why this family is important.

Next time Phil Robertson is booked to speak at some "Christian" event, I'd like some rational people, especially parents, in the group to protest & say "this guy is obsessed with violence, including sexual violence against children, and I don't want him to be in the presence of my children."

Dude, I almost accidentally shoplifted last week and freaked out. I realized there was an item under my purse in the cart as I was exiting the store (and took it right back to a cashier) and realized I could never even physically make it as a thief. I'd pass out from the anxiety 2 steps out the door.

Ha ha ha! That happened to me about six months ago. I was in Tesco and had used the self scan machines, but was in a world of my own that day and forgot to put any money in. The guy came after me to tell me I'd walked off without paying. How embarrassing! Luckily the lad knew me to chat to, and realised I wasn't a thief, just a bit absent minded at times.

I don't know who either of these despicable men are, but I can't remember reading such a load of hateful crap. That anyone would listen and agree with either of them is truly frightening.

Why do these people so often bring up Hitler et al? There is reason to believe Hitler was not atheist but, regardless, he did not commit his atrocities in the name of atheism.

These two men just confirm to me that there is no god. What kind of god would create such evil beings.

With apologies to Christian FJites, for me religion is the scourge of our planet. Yes, it provides comfort to believers but has caused so much harm as long as it has existed. The only reason humans have religion is because we know we are going to die.

I often fantasize that it would be impossible for parents to indoctrinate their children. Think of it. All the ignorance and hatred across the globe would eventually die out. And the offspring of these asshats, and so many others, would stand a chance.

Archived