IGNORED

Phil Robertson, Delivers Speech About Atheist Family

Toothfairy

I don't blame my son for turning away from religion. People like Phil are assholes. And I still don't know who the fuck he is.

Phil Robertson of "Duck Dynasty" fame hasn't gone anywhere, and now he's delivered a tirade against atheists.

Robertson was the keynote speaker at the Vero Beach Prayer Breakfast in Florida, where hundreds of attendees paid up to $100 a plate to hear him speak.

The "Duck Dynasty" dad posited a gruesome hypothetical situation in which an atheist family's home is broken into.

The story is meant to illustrate the importance of following God's laws, and here is Robertson's take on it:

"I'll make a bet with you. Two guys break into an atheist's home. He has a little atheist wife and two little atheist daughters. Two guys break into his home and tie him up in a chair and gag him. And then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot them and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off in front of him. And then they can look at him and say, 'Isn't it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn't it great that there's nothing wrong with this? There's no right or wrong, now is it dude?'

Then you take a sharp knife and take his manhood and hold it in front of him and say, 'Wouldn't it be something if this [sic] was something wrong with this? But you’re the one who says there is no God, there’s no right, there’s no wrong, so we’re just having fun. We're sick in the head, have a nice day.'

If it happened to them, they probably would say, 'Something about this just ain't right.'"

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/6934164

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, Phil clearly did not think that through. Even if the victims were Christian, the criminals are not.

Phil needs to sit down. And never speak publicly again.

All that criminal as to do if he is Christian is ask for forgiveness and he is free and clear with God. So where is the judgment now?

This is so fucked up. Who thinks of this stuff? Yeah a Christian would not come through this situation emotionally traumatized because Jesus.

I always got a cruel vibe from him. He seems to lack compassion and empathy.

That is seriously fucked up. I don't think fundies get that people don't just act like decent people because they know if they do they will go to heaven. Do they not realise that the majority of people have empathy, and it is a natural stage of development, not something you get from religion.

I think I am more afraid of the religious people who think that the Bible (or other holy book or religious belief) is the only thing stopping people from going out raping, murdering, stealing anything that isn't nailed to the floor, doing loads of drugs and having a massive orgy in the street, than people who don't have any religious beliefs. If they think that atheists have no morals because they don't fear going to Hell, then it implies that these people would also be out killing people if they were not so afraid of Hell and God's judgement.

WTF.

Despite what he thinks, it is possible to have morals without God. Being an atheist doesn't mean you think there is no right or wrong.

What.

There are no words.

The "atheists don't have morals" line is a load of bull and would have been regardless of the "illustration" he chose. But to choose that one. Wow. I should listen to the audio so I can be more familiar with how it went down, but I don't think I can handle it.

Isn't this the same guy who beat up a husband and wife several years ago, and then never apologized to them for doing it? I wonder how often the two of them woke up screaming in the middle of the night due to a horrible case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

Doesn't really surprise me that Phil would use such a horrible analogy. He probably used the same line of reasoning to justify their beatings. Oh well, I'm right with God, so it doesn't matter that I did this. I was sick in the head, but the Lord took it all away and I'm saved now.

And apparently, he and Kay also bribed the couple into not pressing charges something, I didn't know before.

people.com/people/article/0,,20767508,00.html

Yes, God forgave Phil for beating a guy up so he didn't have to go apologize. :roll:

Ewwww.

First of all, if I paid $100 a plate to listen to that awful story I'd want my money back. Even if he had a valid point (he doesn't) what a horrible, violent way to put it.

Second of all, whether you believe in God or not, there are human-made laws against what he is describing.

So just because an atheist doesn't believe in a final judgement, there are judgements here on earth that we all receive if we break laws.

And, as Doggie said, fundies believe all the criminals in this case would have to do is accept Jesus on their death beds and no final judgement for them!!! It wouldn't matter what hypothetical atheist does or doesn't believe.

I don't blame my son for turning away from religion. People like Phil are assholes. And I still don't know who the fuck he is.

Phil Robertson of "Duck Dynasty" fame hasn't gone anywhere, and now he's delivered a tirade against atheists.

Robertson was the keynote speaker at the Vero Beach Prayer Breakfast in Florida, where hundreds of attendees paid up to $100 a plate to hear him speak.

The "Duck Dynasty" dad posited a gruesome hypothetical situation in which an atheist family's home is broken into.

The story is meant to illustrate the importance of following God's laws, and here is Robertson's take on it:

"I'll make a bet with you. Two guys break into an atheist's home. He has a little atheist wife and two little atheist daughters. Two guys break into his home and tie him up in a chair and gag him. And then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot them and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off in front of him. And then they can look at him and say, 'Isn't it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn't it great that there's nothing wrong with this? There's no right or wrong, now is it dude?'

Then you take a sharp knife and take his manhood and hold it in front of him and say, 'Wouldn't it be something if this [sic] was something wrong with this? But you’re the one who says there is no God, there’s no right, there’s no wrong, so we’re just having fun. We're sick in the head, have a nice day.'

If it happened to them, they probably would say, 'Something about this just ain't right.'"

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/6934164

Oh for fuck's sake! Not this asshole again!

Seriously, if you need the threat of eternal damnation to make you act like a decent human being then you're doing it wrong.

And I don't think he really thought his analogy through - what I got out of it is that the two criminals are given a free pass because they believe in God and God forgives all sins if you believe. If that's the case then I don't want any part of that religion or belief system.

:fsm:

Why does it sound like he WANTS awful things to happen to atheists? What does that say about him and his god?

He's mentally ill. Seriously .Obsessing about sexual violence against children? Get help, stat.

This man is just a nasty stew of major disconnect and cognitive dissonance:

But Robertson also touches on a life-changing incident from his past. During the 1970s, Robertson fled Arkansas after he badly beat up a bar owner and his wife. Robertson's wife, Kay, persuaded the couple not to press charges in exchange for most of the Robertsons' life savings. "I just put it behind me," Robertson says of the ordeal.

With his past behind him, Robertson considers himself born again.

Right, because with Jesus, you never have to say you're sorry. AND just who suffered the ordeal here?

In a statement to PEOPLE, Robertson says: ...... My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

Really, Phil, REALLY? If only you would just DO THAT you would be a pretty good guy. But everything that comes out of your mouth is the opposite of something that would be said by a loving, tolerant person.

(epic face palm for this Phil Robertson WTF-ery)

His true mission is to deny atheists voting rights. He, and others, can see the demographic writing on the wall and know that, while Christians are the overwhelming majority in the US, there is a movement away from religion. It is not a large movement and never will be but elections aren't decided by huge numbers but, rather by small percentages that can determine the outcome. Otherwise, what was the point of this sick rant? He cannot declare that atheists cannot practice their beliefs. No, they are hoping to declare the US a Christian nation. (some Southern states are already moving in that direction, trying to codify their state as Christian and the bible is the official book) If you are not Christian, too bad...no vote for you.

What I hope to see, and rarely do, is prominent Christian spokespeople denouncing this man. And I suppose it is a pipe dream that A&E would finally drop Duck Dynasty once and for all. They must regret the day they allow this travesty of a show on the air. In the words of my sweet and wise Jewish grandmother, they don't need this tsuris.

If you're only acting like a semi-decent person (and he's not) because you're afraid of hell, you're not a good person.

Brilliant, and so true.

I don't follow Duck Dynasty but I never cared that much for Phil. Even in the first episode I watched because I was at my sisters, I got a real asshole vibe from him in spite of the Christian talk, all the "he done wrong in his past and now has seen the light". I didn't know about his beating the bar owner and his wife. Interesting that Kay shushed the couple with money. Right, so Christian. Honestly I don't know why in hell Kay ever stayed with him.

I have no use for so-called Christians who write off their past wrongs with a mere "Jesus forgives me" and walk away, expecting no consequences, and often they don't get them because everyone else around them buys into the same nonsense.

It was a wasted $100 for anyone who attended that breakfast IMHO.

This agnostic just gave herself a little test. Would I murder/hurt somebody if I was guaranteed no punishment, either from God or the courts? No, because I could never do that to another human being. Christian or not, many of us don't do bad things to people because we have morals and a conscience. Something Phil seems to severely lack. The guy's full of shit.

of course he had to do his gay thing again too.

Phil Robertson’s Rant To Gay Men: ‘Just Marry A Woman!’ (AUDIO)

Most right-thinking people these days realize that no one chooses who to be attracted to. After all, think about all the constant discrimination, hate, and abuse LGBT people are on the receiving end of. Out and proud and comfortable and happy with who we are though many of us may be, who in their right mind would choose to be hated on like that for a lifetime? Well, Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson certainly does not qualify as a right-thinking person.

As part of his bizarre speech at a prayer breakfast in Vero Beach, Florida, in which he described, in graphic, horrifying detail an atheist rape, castration, and murder fantasy, Phil Robertson also decided to give some advice to men in same-sex relationships. You see, Robertson is one of those nutjobs who thinks people choose to be anything other than heterosexual. Robertson said, directing his comments to gay men:

“Call the dude, find you a woman and marry her. You’re not in a trap you can’t get out of. Come on!â€

Well, Mr. Robertson, most of us do not consider loving, committed partnerships between consenting adults to be “traps,†your easily offended sensibilities be damned. Why don’t you worry about what is going on in your own home, bedroom, and church, and leave the rest of us alone?

10981739_811465768924304_7159589685846625966_n_zps3u1nab5u.jpg

Ok, Phil. I'll play along for a couple of minutes with your sick example. I just have a few questions for you.

1. So, what happens to the atheist family members who are killed - the ones who may have lived their lives as good people and were cruelly murdered. Do you believe that they automatically go to hell?

2. Imagine these criminal assholes going to jail, finding religion and "getting saved". The atheist family members are still dead or completely devastated, but now the criminals are saying that everyone is totally depraved and we are all sinners, that salvation not through works and only through faith, and that they are not under the Law anymore because Jesus. Since Jesus died for their sins - including murder, rape and torture - do they get a ticket to heaven as soon as they become believers?

3. What does being an atheist have to do with believing that right and wrong exist?

Archived