IGNORED

Nebraska 38th State To Strike Down Same Sex Marriage Ban

Peas n carrots

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/nebraska/judge-strikes-down-state-s-ban-on-same-sex-marriage/article_dc5c8dfd-e8c6-5771-8e35-004708505a7a.html

Help me in congratulating Nebraska! And thank you Judge Batallion for doing the right thing!

It looks like my friends marriages will not be legally recognized for another week, but I'm so pleased for them. I have friends who really want to be foster parents and this will open the door for them to follow their calling.

Of course the governor is speaking out against it...which is ironic, as Pete Rickett's sister is Laura Ricketts, who is gay and on the board of Lambda Legal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Ricketts

Congratulations to your friends, Peas n carrots, and to everyone who'll be able to marry a loved one because of this decision.

And kudos to all those Nebraskans who worked toward making this possible. It is never just about the judge.

Not just more than half—this actually takes us up to 76% percent of states. As a Californian, I knew Prop 8 would be a temporary setback, but even in my most optimistic imaginings, I never dreamed the tide would turn so quickly on a national level!

Smuggar will be on social media whining about this soon enough. :lol:

Congratulations. 13(?) more to go, time to do some catching up, times are changing, the world is changing. You can't withhold development for too long.

The ruling has been stayed pending an appeal by the state.

I am encouraged by the number of people commenting on local news stories about how things have changed since the amendment in question was voted on in 2000, that the voter base has changed and the results would not be the same today, and that it is time to give legal rights to everyone. I was expecting more angry people but have seen more support instead.

On the angry people side, one of my aunts posted a long rambling and barely coherent rant about it that included the "fact" that "there have always been the discriminated groups which is part of America and the Constitution allows that so those groups need to accept that and shouldn't be allowed to file lawsuits".

A cousin and I are wondering how it is that her father and my mother (aunt's siblings) are intelligent and tolerant people and she is a complete moron. Our grandparents were intelligent and tolerant people as well. Just proves you can never really tell how people will turn out merely based on how they are raised.

The ruling has been stayed pending an appeal by the state.

I am encouraged by the number of people commenting on local news stories about how things have changed since the amendment in question was voted on in 2000, that the voter base has changed and the results would not be the same today, and that it is time to give legal rights to everyone. I was expecting more angry people but have seen more support instead.

On the angry people side, one of my aunts posted a long rambling and barely coherent rant about it that included the "fact" that "there have always been the discriminated groups which is part of America and the Constitution allows that so those groups need to accept that and shouldn't be allowed to file lawsuits".

A cousin and I are wondering how it is that her father and my mother (aunt's siblings) are intelligent and tolerant people and she is a complete moron. Our grandparents were intelligent and tolerant people as well. Just proves you can never really tell how people will turn out merely based on how they are raised.

Your aunt sounds like my oldest brother and his wife.

Archived