IGNORED

Dan Dillard

Raecheal

I don't think he is nesecarily a fundie for being baptized and spending time with a sibling. I think that we should wait for more signs before saying that someone is a fundie.

Agree!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have thing here called "confirmation", after that you are able to get the "Abendmahl" (sacrament) and if you are not had a baptism as a baby (what 90% or so do I guess, a couple of weeks after birth) you are the looser who has to do it then when you are teenager in front of a full church. Embarrassing. (Considering that you do this whole confirmation shit because of the money gifts. I got a hell lot of money for that, and yes I did it only because of that like everyone :twisted: .)

My fundie classmate did not attend the confirmation because of the too liberal pastor and possibly also because she knew that we did not care about god at all. (Hey, the confirmation trip was almost cancelled because some guys brought alcohol and the pastor pretended not to see it. He was in a bit of trouble after that...) They went to a separate branch of the Church.

So maybe Dan did it to fit in? Idk, but I have a hard time believing that Dan and Derick are really super mega Christian.

Is this bathtub kind of baptism a fundie thing? Here only the forehead is used.

I didnt get confirmed, all the stories of being bored out at church school made me glad i didnt belong to that club.not even money made me join this shit(lutherean protestant)

I didnt get confirmed, all the stories of being bored out at church school made me glad i didnt belong to that club.not even money made me join this shit(lutherean protestant)

I'm a really positive person and I try to see everything in a positive light so being mentally unstable during that time and pretty sick had the positive effect that I did not need to attend all the classes. I also was not on the trip they made. Guess I took part in 10% of the classes, and I also did not have the required couple of normal church visits. (No, not really. I could have lived without being depressed and suicidal during my teenage years, but it made some things including this easier. That the daughter of the pastor also struggled with mental health issues was a bonus. Also the attendance by the others was shit as well. The pastor complained about lots of absent children without official call by the parents.)

I'm so glad that I don't had to do it a couple of years later. Now they start with the required classes in the third grade already. My parents where happy about that as well, because now the parents have to do more.

I also wore a suit, not a dress. Only two girls or so wore a dress. My parents said that we better buy something that is also useful for later. I still can wear it today if I need something for a smart casual dress. (The joys of being a small/tiny person.)

Do they want to bring it closer to catholic confirmation? The step son of my father had his cath confirmation at 9 years old ..

Something I would not have liked about the confirmation is that here they displayed the confirmation class group photo in a public space and in the paper.

^^ No idea. I thought it is because they get more people to do it if they start early? You know, if the little kids love it, they are more likely to do the thing later as well.

Picture/Names are only in the church mailing that every household gets every three months and on the homepage. Including births/deaths and marriages. In fact that picture is the top thing that comes up when you google my name. I can live with that. ;)

And honestly, it was quite a experience to be in that church. If gay marriage would be allowed I would consider marrying just because it feels awesome in there, even as an Atheist. It is a really really old church. The original wooden one was build in the year 600 AC, later replaced by stones in the 12th century. (When I saw the church where Jill and Derrick married I was really disappointed. Same for that baptism video with Dan in it. I wouldn't call that a church.)

meh I don't expect churches in Arkansas to be great. after all churches and cathedrals in europe were built with the wealth of the clerical class.

meh I don't expect churches in Arkansas to be great. after all churches and cathedrals in europe were built with the wealth of the clerical class.

It was a huge surprise for me to see those churches for the first time. I expected something different. More like this huge thing in Salt Lake City. My fundie great uncle watches a service online from a more conservative church in Switzerland and they also have only basic rooms, nothing fancy.

Churches come in all sizes etc, wasnt it like as soon as theres a roof theres a church? This city has plenty of big churches, but the surrounding suburbs have churches that look like a gym with a 3m church steeple in front..

Churches come in all sizes etc, wasnt it like as soon as theres a roof theres a church? This city has plenty of big churches, but the surrounding suburbs have churches that look like a gym with a 3m church steeple in front..

I once had a fundie American Facebook friend and I think the church she attended was a gym during day time. She posted pictures and there were those markings for basketball games on the floor. :lol:

Back to the baptism topic. I once was on holiday in Bavaria and we had a apartment in a huge apartment building complex. There was a small swimming pool in the basement and we went there to swim once when lots of people came and they literally had a baptism there in the swimming pool. The "pastor" had all white clothing and it really was a surreal experience.

• 1 month later...

As I was raised Baptist, babies are dedicated in JC name at a Baptist church by it's parents in the hopes of having the child/adult raised and want to be baptized in JC's name when they become old enough to accept him as their savior. This is why in a Baptist church anyone of any age can be immersion Baptized.

As for Dan I think he is drinking a bit of the coolaid but as someone said above, in times of Happines & crisis (mom's cancer and brother's new family) you go to what makes you comfortable. Dan has witnessed what Derick has done, giving years to a mission to help people and then come home to a large welcoming family. Derick definitely has a relationship with God and had it before he began talking to JB. Dan is going to look up to his older brother as he is doing good in the world. Dan has a lot of choices to make along a fundie road/lifestyle. I think Dan sees possibilities in fundie lifestyle but it may not all be his cup of tea in the end but he only knows how far on that road he is willing to go. As for possibility of dating one of the Duggar girls, well Dan has a road to travel in that journey as I just don't think that JB will allow one of his daughters to jump on that bandwagon at this point.

Baptism by immersion is not just a fundie thing. I attend a liberal nondenominational church that practices baptism by immersion. We have our own indoor baptismal pool. We don't baptize infants or young children. It's usually older teenagers and adults.

Exactly this.

I was raised Catholic. But we not (on occasion) attend a very generic christian church. They has a big baptismal pool and we've seen adults and teens baptized in it.

I have a question, in most baptist churches, an ordained pastor does the baptizing. Although not necessary for salvation, it is an important outward symbol of faith. Who and what ordained Derrick? I know in fundie circles, it is very common for the "junk" colleges to bestow a pretty shallow bibilical understanding (nothing like a REAL seminary) and I think Gothard has one of these Bible schools where young men go to be "trained to be a minister." It does not even compare with real universities and seminaries, yet these young men become ordained. In most southern baptist churches, however, ordination for becoming a minister is a HUGE deal and I don't hardly know of anyone who has been ordained without a strong seminary finish.

But in fundie circles, ordinations are handed out in the droves to "Brother So-n-So." What I'm wondering is is Derrick now ordained via JimBob in independent fundie baptist?

I don't understand why, just because Derrick married Jill, that he and his brother are suddenly going to fall in line behind Jim Bob and basically say screw you to their own family, including their mom, and the way they were raised. Derrick adored his father, why would he suddenly use Jim Bob as a role model instead of his own father who seems to have lived and raised his family completely differently? It's like saying the man he loved did it all wrong. Derrick and Dan actually have their own family that I am sure is extremely important to them and influential as well. Why would Dan suddenly want to be like the Duggars? He isn't married into the family and has had real relationships and lived a normal life? Why would he suddenly want to follow his brother into Duggarland.

From the little I have seen of him, he seems to think that the Duggars are a little out there. The Dillard brothers seems to have been raised in a stable, happy Christian home. I always felt that Dan may be a little more worldly than Derrick. I also don't understand why Dan getting baptized is such a shock. The Duggars haven't cornered the market on Christianity. A Christian being baptized is a pretty normal activity. Did anyone think that Cathy's recovery from cancer may have brought Dan closer to God, not the Duggars? For all we know Dan may already be involved in his church. All dots do not always connect to the Duggars.

They are lacking a father figure, and JB is there and willing to fill that role.

I think Dan looks slightly like this guy from Silicon Valley and it throws me off every time.

silicon-valley-hbo-noodles-beard-man-dude.jpg

They are lacking a father figure, and JB is there and willing to fill that role.

Rick Dillard died in 2008. Derick was in his second year of university; Dan would've been around 16. Cathy remarried at some point. Losing their dad was terrible, but it was a long time ago and they aren't lacking a father figure.

Not sure why people think Derick baptised Dan. Derick said he got to witness it, not do it. Big difference in my opinion, though as it has been stated before you don't have to be ordained to do it.

Why would Dan get baptised? Who knows, maybe he didn't do it as a kid or maybe he was like me. I got baptised as a kid in the Methodist church, so I was sprinkled. When I was Dan's age I was going to a different church and felt that I wanted to do it again. So I got dunked in the lake. Neither time had a dang thing to do with what I felt was my relationship with the Lord. As a kid it was because everyone was doing it and as a young adult it was more about me making it "public".

I don't know why or how this connects to JB. The church certainly doesn't look like something JB would approve of, there are drums on the stage. They don't listen to music with a down beat. I know we all think the Duggars are whack-a-doos but I don't think they are pulling everyone they come into contact with into the Gothard cult.

It seems, from reading this thread, that Dan was baptized by immersion in some sort of Protestant church recently, right?

Does this not correspond roughly to the timeline of his mother's critical illness and stated recovery from cancer? Maybe his mother's near death ( as I have read the account of her illness before J and D's wedding) was the catalyst for either a true spiritual experience, a fear for his own mortality and eternal life for the first time, or perhaps fulfilling a rite that is performed in his mother's church to allow her to see him be baptized ( because cancer can't be declared as " cured" for at least 5 cancer- clear years).

I hope I'm making sense. An adult baptism is a bit unusual in most Protestant churches unless the person wasn't devoted at the age of accountability or belonged to a church that doesn't baptize infants. Therefore, I think something caused him to be more involved in a church and its teachings.

It could be Derrick, I seriously doubt it's JB, but do think his mother's illness and positive outcome is a powerful personal reason for a young adult to turn to religion and baptism.

Ultimately, people deal with loss/grief/hardship in different ways. Almost a decade ago now in my late teens/early twenties, in the space of about 14 months, my uncle was killed by a drunk driver, my grandfather died of terminal cancer and my cousin committed suicide as a result of being bullied for being gay.

It made me an atheist. I took the approach of 'no way does god exist with so much bad crap in the world'.

It made my cousin go majorly hardcore protestant christian. She became Jessa on (back then) Myspace and got rebaptised and started spending all her time at youth groups and fellowship etc. She took the approach of finding comfort and stability in religion.

Bot of us were vaguely raised Catholic (ie: baptised, went to church for Christmas/Easter, attended fairly mild Catholic schools and did communion) but we went in complete opposite directions.

It's highly likely that Dan simply finds comfort and stability in faith right now after a few rough/unstable years in his life. I find that easier to believe than JB influencing him.

A guy I went to high school with went way into New Age woo after his dad got cancer. Now he takes classes from a guru who claims you can cure cancer and regrow amputated limbs with the power of thought.

That is hilarious.

That is hilarious.

I completely and totally agree that IS hilarious. My dad would've loved to regrow his leg if it was only as easy as learning how from a new age guru.

Dan seems pretty awesome. He seems really excited about IDD's arrival. Also, when Derick was like you play "Pin the tail on the....." then a long pause and Dan fills in "Baby" with a tone that said what he meant was "Baby, moron" in Jill's birth episode.

Dan seems pretty awesome. He seems really excited about IDD's arrival. Also, when Derick was like you play "Pin the tail on the....." then a long pause and Dan fills in "Baby" with a tone that said what he meant was "Baby, moron" in Jill's birth episode.

While watching that part, I immediately thought 'pin the penis on the baby'.

I just watched 3/4 of the Baby Dilly Birth episode and just couldn't get through it. Had to shut it off. Anyway, I was a bit perplexed when, in voice over, Derrick said that the "Duggars" were coming over to help set up the nursery and celebrate his birthday. He never mentioned his mom at all--even though she took part in the festivities. I'm somewhat shocked because that clearly displays a lack of respect for her--especially given what's happened to her. I just thought that was so awful to not acknowledge her.

On the subject of Dan. I have been trying to figure out if Derrick and Dan are the AK/OK version of "hipsters" or if they are trying to get their Amish on. There is such a part of me that wants Dan to shake some sense into Derrick--then Derrick will wake up and take Jill away from Duggarism. When Derrick mentioned that if "God" wants their children to attend college to receive a higher education, I was thrilled. (even if he did use God as an excuse) Then I read about Dan's baptism. I'm thinking maybe Dan got baptized to appease Jim Bob? Maybe JB was pressing Dan to be baptized into the Duggashian cult. Who knows?

Any iota of normalcy, IMHO, is with Derrick's side of the family. I'm worried now.

I just watched 3/4 of the Baby Dilly Birth episode and just couldn't get through it. Had to shut it off. Anyway, I was a bit perplexed when, in voice over, Derrick said that the "Duggars" were coming over to help set up the nursery and celebrate his birthday. He never mentioned his mom at all--even though she took part in the festivities. I'm somewhat shocked because that clearly displays a lack of respect for her--especially given what's happened to her. I just thought that was so awful to not acknowledge her.

On the subject of Dan. I have been trying to figure out if Derrick and Dan are the AK/OK version of "hipsters" or if they are trying to get their Amish on. There is such a part of me that wants Dan to shake some sense into Derrick--then Derrick will wake up and take Jill away from Duggarism. When Derrick mentioned that if "God" wants their children to attend college to receive a higher education, I was thrilled. (even if he did use God as an excuse) Then I read about Dan's baptism. I'm thinking maybe Dan got baptized to appease Jim Bob? Maybe JB was pressing Dan to be baptized into the Duggashian cult. Who knows?

Any iota of normalcy, IMHO, is with Derrick's side of the family. I'm worried now.

I like to think that Cathy's husband is less than impressed with the Duggars. From what I've seen of him, he strikes me as no leghumper and I loved how he seemed to stand up for Cathy at the wedding.

So Cathy has her hubs on her side, hopefully Cathy can keep herself and Dan from being infected by the kool aid fog that has enveloped Derick.

Cathy is our last great hope.

Archived