IGNORED

Dan Dillard

Raecheal

We have thing here called "confirmation", after that you are able to get the "Abendmahl" (sacrament) and if you are not had a baptism as a baby (what 90% or so do I guess, a couple of weeks after birth) you are the looser who has to do it then when you are teenager in front of a full church. Embarrassing. (Considering that you do this whole confirmation shit because of the money gifts. I got a hell lot of money for that, and yes I did it only because of that like everyone :twisted: .)

My fundie classmate did not attend the confirmation because of the too liberal pastor and possibly also because she knew that we did not care about god at all. (Hey, the confirmation trip was almost cancelled because some guys brought alcohol and the pastor pretended not to see it. He was in a bit of trouble after that...) They went to a separate branch of the Church.

So maybe Dan did it to fit in? Idk, but I have a hard time believing that Dan and Derick are really super mega Christian.

Is this bathtub kind of baptism a fundie thing? Here only the forehead is used.

Baptists, which the Duggars are, practice full-immersion baptism which necessitates some kind of pool or even a river. Catholics, Episcopalians/CoE and maybe others practice infusion or pouring of the baptismal waters and other churches (Methodist and Presbyterian?) practice aspersion or sprinkling. In the Catholic Church all forms are considered valid, but usually infusion is practiced because infants are baptized.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have thing here called "confirmation", after that you are able to get the "Abendmahl" (sacrament) and if you are not had a baptism as a baby (what 90% or so do I guess, a couple of weeks after birth) you are the looser who has to do it then when you are teenager in front of a full church. Embarrassing. (Considering that you do this whole confirmation shit because of the money gifts. I got a hell lot of money for that, and yes I did it only because of that like everyone :twisted: .)

My fundie classmate did not attend the confirmation because of the too liberal pastor and possibly also because she knew that we did not care about god at all. (Hey, the confirmation trip was almost cancelled because some guys brought alcohol and the pastor pretended not to see it. He was in a bit of trouble after that...) They went to a separate branch of the Church.

So maybe Dan did it to fit in? Idk, but I have a hard time believing that Dan and Derick are really super mega Christian.

Is this bathtub kind of baptism a fundie thing? Here only the forehead is used.

Where i live (a mostly catholic country) the confirmation will follow baptism as a baby, first comunion as a kid (8-10), and then confirmatiln, wich will be performed by the bishop. And as far as i know, full inmersion baptism is performed by evangelical christians

Dan is at an impressionable age. He lost his father just a few years ago, his mom had cancer, his brother got married, and he is about to be an uncle for the first time - that is a lot of change in just a few years. I don't think its too surprising that he would turn to religion to find a bit of stability. A lot of people do and if you are raised with religion (as it seems the Dillard boys were) then you may turn to it because it's something familiar.

A guy I went to high school with went way into New Age woo after his dad got cancer. Now he takes classes from a guru who claims you can cure cancer and regrow amputated limbs with the power of thought.

Baptists, which the Duggars are, practice full-immersion baptism which necessitates some kind of pool or even a river. Catholics, Episcopalians/CoE and maybe others practice infusion or pouring of the baptismal waters and other churches (Methodist and Presbyterian?) practice aspersion or sprinkling. In the Catholic Church all forms are considered valid, but usually infusion is practiced because infants are baptized.

In Methodist Aspsersion is the most common but all 3 are practiced depending on the persons preference if they are older or if it's an infant they just do Aspersion.

What I know about Dan is that he is a boyscout higher up. He did go to college, I just don't remember where. I know he was/is in a fraternity. He had/has? a girlfriend who was in a sorority and dressed "normal".

So maybe they broke up and he is wanting to refresh his life?

Baptism by immersion is not just a fundie thing. I attend a liberal nondenominational church that practices baptism by immersion. We have our own indoor baptismal pool. We don't baptize infants or young children. It's usually older teenagers and adults.

.... Derrick adored his father, why would he suddenly use Jim Bob as a role model instead of his own father who seems to have lived and raised his family completely differently? ....

Do we know this for sure? Not too much at all has been said about it and I always seemed like something was missing when they talked about his late father. It's possible that Derrick didn't have the best relationship with him and regrets it now? I'll have to rewatch those segments to see exactly why I feel this way. I just never got he impression that he "adored" his father.

I agree. I mean, Amy was baptized by JB and she's still Amy.

Have the duggar children (all of them) been baptized? They talk about it so much, but I feel like not in their own individual way. Would they allow TLC to film it even if they did?

#savejinger #savejana

What I know about Dan is that he is a boyscout higher up. He did go to college, I just don't remember where. I know he was/is in a fraternity. He had/has? a girlfriend who was in a sorority and dressed "normal".

So maybe they broke up and he is wanting to refresh his life?

Looks like he went to Arkansas Tech. He's got an old cover pic up on Facebook from there that certainly shows all kinds of defrauding frat boys and (in particular) sorority girls. Can't tell what he studied there though.

Where i live (a mostly catholic country) the confirmation will follow baptism as a baby, first comunion as a kid (8-10), and then confirmatiln, wich will be performed by the bishop. And as far as i know, full inmersion baptism is performed by evangelical christians

Baptism in the Catholic Church occurs as a baby/toddler IF you're raised catholic. You can't recieve the Eucharist or be confirmed unless you're baptised. That said, I had friends who were raised catholic who werent baptised until I was going through confirmation (8th grade). And, every Lenten season brings the introduction of adults who are being baptised. If you're baptised as an adult or older child, you don't receive confirmation (confirmation is a secondary baptism that says "my parents made the choice for me the first time and I'm making it for myself this time") and, in most cases, you receive the Eucharist after your baptism.

As for full immersion baptism, it depends on your church. I've been to catholic churches who do "a little water over your head" and I've been to catholic churches who do the full immersion baptism. It is more common with evangelical churches though.

Also, it's possible that, while raises Christian, Dan was never baptised. Or he wanted to do something in the church but was baptised in the wrong church. I know many people who faced that problem and solved it by being rebaptised.

VelociRapture,

Baptists don't really have official Godparents. Some may have Godparents unofficially though.

Gotcha! I really have no clue how different denominations of Christianity work. I was raised Catholic and all I know is in that denomination you can only choose a Godparent with your same faith. Thanks!

The reason Dan's baptism is so surprising is that SBC push hard for kids to get baptized starting around 2nd grade. Most active families have their kids baptized before high school. Dan is surely not being baptized for the first time, unless I have misunderstood how Rick and Cathy raised their sons, which I thought was fairly devout. And maybe a lot of reason I thought this is that SBC missionaries tend to be home-grown, it's unusual for young people to pursue missionary work if they didn't come from a background of being raised that way.

But I don't actually know how faithfully Rick and Cathy participated in SBC life while raising their boys.

I do think her remarriage might very well push the boys away, I can see where Derick would gravitate to the Duggars in the now-absence of his nuclear family and Dan might follow along. Many people in SBC circles are leghumperish of the Duggars - the thought being that at least it is TV they can watch without sinning. At least until the mini-golf double date.

I think Derick was somewhat at loose ends when he started courting Jill. He did graduate college but he chose to go on the mission field rather than pursue the graduate work necessary to become a CPA. The longer he waits to get certified, the more difficult that would be, and I would say he is not going to be pursuing that at all.

And I can see where Dan is also at loose ends if he and his girl split up.

Not everyone who earns an Accounting degree goes on to earn the CPA - especially those people who work in Corporate Accounting as Derick does. It really wouldn't make much sense for him to pursue that particular career path if he honestly wants to stay with Walmart. Most CPAs work for public Accounting firms, not giant corporations. It can definitely be an asset in Corporate Accounting and gives more options in career possibilities, but it isn't something that is really necessary to advance.

Now, if he went and got an MBA or something that could lead to more job opportunities on his current career path.

I agree. I mean, Amy was baptized by JB and she's still Amy.

Is JB allowed to do that, baptize? Do these Fundies have any preachers that went to 4 years of college and then divinity school? Husband's second cousin jst ordained as a priest. He has a Bachelors in psychology, a Masters in theology and then spent two years (maybe more) before was ordained. I know most mainstream pastors get a Bachelors then go to seminary. I would think education and much soul searching would be necessary to become a good priest or pastor. Do these fundies just say yup, I'm good to baptize?

Is JB allowed to do that, baptize? Do these Fundies have any preachers that went to 4 years of college and then divinity school? Husband's second cousin jst ordained as a priest. He has a Bachelors in psychology, a Masters in theology and then spent two years (maybe more) before was ordained. I know most mainstream pastors get a Bachelors then go to seminary. I would think education and much soul searching would be necessary to become a good priest or pastor. Do these fundies just say yup, I'm good to baptize?

In the catholic church everyone can baptize if there's an emergency. But i bet that hasn't been done since middle ages, so it doesn't really mind

In mainstream evangelicalism, baptizing others is not a preacher-only job. It's common to be baptized by the pastor of your church just because he is kind of the spiritual go-to. However, I've also seen a lot of people who choose to be baptized by their parent/spiritual mentor/whatever. Anyone who is a Christian can baptize you.

Gotcha! I really have no clue how different denominations of Christianity work. I was raised Catholic and all I know is in that denomination you can only choose a Godparent with your same faith. Thanks!

My Mum (Evangelical) is the official Godmum of Catholic child. Only thing required was that at least one of the two has to be Catholic.

But the pastor in that Church also openly criticised the (old) Pope and stuff like that. So not sure if that was something special or if it is common.

My Mum (Evangelical) is the official Godmum of Catholic child. Only thing required was that at least one of the two has to be Catholic.

But the pastor in that Church also openly criticised the (old) Pope and stuff like that. So not sure if that was something special or if it is common.

Hmm. I'm not sure how common that would be. I know that in my family, the Godparents were as follows:

Eldest - maternal aunt and uncle

Me - maternal uncle and paternal cousin

Youngest - family friends (married couple from town)

All those chosen were baptized, raised, and confirmed in the Catholic Church. My father's only brother and his wife were not selected because they are Methodist. To my understanding, the official Church position is that the Godparents should be Catholics because their role is in helping the child grow up in the Catholic faith - they are supposed to be more of spiritual mentors than anything. I could be wrong though or things could haven changed in the last 30 or so years, so if someone else is able to weigh in that would be great!

My grandfather baptised my sister and a few of my other cousins. It's hardly a "crazy fundie thing." Plus, you can become ordained online for like $10.

Do we know what church the Dillard family attended when the boys were young? If they were baptized as infants and did not receive an immersion baptism that could be why Dan chose an immersion baptism. Perhaps Derick began to be more conservative while at college. His father died and he may have needed the comfort of the church-and found a very conservative one. If so, that could have kept him pure enough to be acceptable as a potential husband for Jill. Had he lived a more mainstream college life JB would never have introduced them. Which makes me wonder...could a person who lived a "normal" life, then became a quiverfull type convert, ever be considered by the Duggars as a spouse?

Do we know what church the Dillard family attended when the boys were young? If they were baptized as infants and did not receive an immersion baptism that could be why Dan chose an immersion baptism. Perhaps Derick began to be more conservative while at college. His father died and he may have needed the comfort of the church-and found a very conservative one. If so, that could have kept him pure enough to be acceptable as a potential husband for Jill. Had he lived a more mainstream college life JB would never have introduced them. Which makes me wonder...could a person who lived a "normal" life, then became a quiverfull type convert, ever be considered by the Duggars as a spouse?

Also, some people just don't get around to being baptized, especially in more mainstream evangelicalism. My dad was an evangelical Christian his whole life-- always active in church, went to a Christian college, the works. He didn't get around to being baptized until he was in his thirties or forties simply because he doesn't like water and doesn't like attention. This is what the Southern Baptist Church says about baptism:

Christian baptism is the immersion of a believer in water. …It is an act of obedience symbolizing the believer's faith in a crucified, buried, and risen Saviour, the believer's death to sin, the burial of the old life, and the resurrection to walk in newness of life in Christ Jesus.

sbc.net/aboutus/basicbeliefs.asp

Looks like they don't believe that baptism is necessary for salvation-- just that it's a symbol of your faith. So I don't think Dan's not being baptized necessarily says anything about his faith one way or the other.

I thought both the Dillard's were baptized and Derrick just went down the more fundie road? Is re-baptism a real thing? I've never heard of it but I was also raised ebil catholic

Some people--especially those Baptized as children--do choose to rededicate their lives to Christ and Baptism can be the outward sign of this. Likely though he did not choose to be baptized as a child or teen--it happens in "Normal" conservative Christian families. Not everyone coerces baptism!

More important--will Derrick be filmed baptizing him......

Hmm. I'm not sure how common that would be. I know that in my family, the Godparents were as follows:

Eldest - maternal aunt and uncle

Me - maternal uncle and paternal cousin

Youngest - family friends (married couple from town)

All those chosen were baptized, raised, and confirmed in the Catholic Church. My father's only brother and his wife were not selected because they are Methodist. To my understanding, the official Church position is that the Godparents should be Catholics because their role is in helping the child grow up in the Catholic faith - they are supposed to be more of spiritual mentors than anything. I could be wrong though or things could haven changed in the last 30 or so years, so if someone else is able to weigh in that would be great!

When I had my youngest son baptized in the Catholic church, my priest told me that only one of the Godparents had to be Catholic and after that I was free to choose another Godparent from any other Christian denomination. At least one had to be Catholic and the other one could be Methodist, Presbyterian, whatever.

Oh, I also requested that he be fully immersed (relax, relax, he was an older infant at the time and got dunked quickly)

If you're baptised as an adult or older child, you don't receive confirmation (confirmation is a secondary baptism that says "my parents made the choice for me the first time and I'm making it for myself this time") and, in most cases, you receive the Eucharist after your baptism.

That isn't the way it works in the diocese where I live. Confirmation is not a secondary baptism but a sacrament in it's own right of bestowing the power of the Holy Spirit. Adults and children over 7 who are baptized into the church, are confirmed a few minutes after, and then receive first communion when the rest of the parish receives communion. It's done at the Easter Vigil which I've attended many times.

When I had my youngest son baptized in the Catholic church, my priest told me that only one of the Godparents had to be Catholic and after that I was free to choose another Godparent from any other Christian denomination. At least one had to be Catholic and the other one could be Methodist, Presbyterian, whatever.

Oh, I also requested that he be fully immersed (relax, relax, he was an older infant at the time and got dunked quickly)

3 kids- 3 baptisms in 11 years - all have 1 Catholic Godparent and 1 witness. But it goes both ways- Catholics can only be a witness for a non-Catholic since we don't know their denomination. From catholiceducation.org: "A Christian who is not Catholic, although perhaps a very holy, Christian, cannot fully attest to the beliefs of the Catholic Church. Likewise, a Catholic can only be a Christian witness for someone who is baptized into another Christian denomination. " Because my husband is Catholic and his siblings were raised Catholic but no longer are; we paired one of my siblings off with one of his siblings. We can't have any more kids unless we want to repeat the god parents ;)

That isn't the way it works in the diocese where I live. Confirmation is not a secondary baptism but a sacrament in it's own right of bestowing the power of the Holy Spirit. Adults and children over 7 who are baptized into the church, are confirmed a few minutes after, and then receive first communion when the rest of the parish receives communion. It's done at the Easter Vigil which I've attended many times.

I agree Cocunut Flan - Confirmation happens on Easter Vigil for those joining the church. (Sponsored a few young ladies into the church) A candidate is someone that has been baptized in another Christian faith but then needs to receive Eucharist and confirmation. Catechumens are people never baptized and want to join, they get baptized, confirmed and Eucharist all at one mass (Easter Vigil). And others get confirmed later in life- like my husband- he did everything but Confirmation and then his family fell away from the Catholic Church and then we met he decided to get confirmed and that ceremony was with others that weren't yet confirmed (some young teenagers, some adults).

I was baptized as an infant, got communion classes at around seven or 8 and then took confirmation at 15 or 16. This was conservative Anglican church.

Archived