IGNORED

Weird apology on SFL

jerkit

stufffundieslike.com/2015/02/an-open-letter-to-crown-college-and-temple-baptist-church/

I find the letter itself super bizarre and the fact that Darrell posted it even more bizarre. Most of the commenters seem to think the author was bullied into writing the letter. Anyone have insider information?

stufffundieslike.com/2015/02/an-open-letter-to-crown-college-and-temple-baptist-church/

I find the letter itself super bizarre and the fact that Darrell posted it even more bizarre. Most of the commenters seem to think the author was bullied into writing the letter. Anyone have insider information?

He appears to go to a fundy college. My guess is that he was outted and either threatened with expulsion or his parents were told. I'd further guess the letter was written under duress ("bitter" isn't a work anyone really uses to describe their behavior, certainly not their own behavior, outside fundy circles, ime). And finally, I'd guess Darrel published it to support the poster and help him manage whatever threats have been made.

The IFB is a nasty, spiteful cult. I hope this young man is able to extricate himself soon.

I saw this as well. My first thought was "what the fuck?". I was honestly waiting for a punchline when I first read it. I agree with polecat. His parents probably threatened to cut him off financially, and who knows how the big the guilt trip is that he's been saddled with.

Shit like this just proves that these places are CULTS.

I hope this young man can escape. It seems like he was trying to. Run, Josh, keep running!

I saw this as well. My first thought was "what the fuck?". I was honestly waiting for a punchline when I first read it. I agree with polecat. His parents probably threatened to cut him off financially, and who knows how the big the guilt trip is that he's been saddled with.

Shit like this just proves that these places are CULTS.

I hope this young man can escape. It seems like he was trying to. Run, Josh, keep running!

Yes. I kept waiting for "JK eff you all!" and it never happened :(

I think what everyone is missing is that he wrote this letter because,

"Rather than dealing with it in appropriate biblical way, I chose to allow the root of bitterness to grow inside me; and chose this online format to vent my frustrations and in some cases be unjustly critical."

He's speaking to the fact that the "biblical way" to handle something like this would be to confide the suspicion something wrong in another Christian, have them agree/confirm, and then present your concerns to the individual/community. He is not apologizing for saying they were doing something wrong, just the way he handled it.

Edited for a riffle.

I think what everyone is missing is that he wrote this letter because,

"Rather than dealing with it in appropriate biblical way, I chose to allow the root of bitterness to grow inside me; and chose this online format to vent my frustrations and in some cases be unjustly critical."

He's speaking to the fact that the "biblical way" to handle something like this would be to confide the suspicion something wrong in another Christian, have them agree/confirm, and then present your concerns to the individual/community. He is not apologizing for saying they were doing something wrong, just the way he handled it.

Edited for a riffle.

I saw that part, but I still think he is being forced to write it. I think he doesn't really agree with IFB/Crown College/Temple Baptist, but it was discovered that he was the one being critical and his friends and family basically told him to STFU. He says he will no longer criticize Temple Baptist or the founder. I don't follow SFL so I don't know what he was saying, but I bet it was all true and, of course, the church was furious he made it public. I have noticed many churches and fundies always claim people who dare to reveal bad things about them to the public are not handling it in the "biblical way". The "biblical way" is to always keep it quiet and never let the public know.

I have no insider information, but if the apology was coerced (as I would agree seems likely, being somewhat familiar with the posts of the person in question on SFL), it was coerced by someone who had no clue that it might seem fishy to make someone write the party line in very stilted language on a forum where he was much more casual, as well as critical and dissident.

Had NEOIFB simply had a change of heart and stopped participating at SFL, probably a handful of people would have said, "Hm, I wonder what is up with NEOIFB. Haven't heard from him in a while," then gone about conversation. Making this public confession, OTOH, suggests that he found something really rotten, publicly complained about it, and is being punished for it.

I also have no inside information. So sorry for NEOIFB. (sometime, casual reader of SFL here, and somewhat familiar with this poster)

I'll let it go at that.

ETA for those who don't know - I believe this SFL poster let the "survey" that has discussion of being spammed on another FJ thread become public knowledge by an SLF posting. Can't say 100%, but I am guessing the person who started that FJ thread found out about the "survey" from the SFL post. So (still guessing) now that the "survey" has been fully outed and made non-functional, Sexton probably contacted NEOIFB's current employer (another church) and it was publicly apologize or lose his job.

Bullied into writing this? He must have been threatened or something. It was a walk to Canossa except the guy went to the moon and back on his knees, pouring ashes over his forehead, kissing asses, licking feet, etc. .

He was probably try and uncover some nasty crap but they threatened the holy spirit out of him somehow.

And yes, this is when most people realize that it's a cult, not just organized religion.

Archived