IGNORED

Have You Accepted Jesus Christ as Your Lord and Savior?

Moonbeam

a true Christian is like a true pizza or a true hamburger or a true hotdog. no such thing. To watch christians arguing over who is truly saved and who is not and who has the true faith is sad but entertaining. Christianity the one true faith in 10,000 flavors and all of them are different.

this is from a article about marriage equality but it really describes religion and what people choose well.

I know what you're probably thinking right now: Kyle, you're cherry-picking little bits and pieces of the Bible to make a ridiculous argument.

The thing here is that everyone is cherry-picking.

Religions are grocery stores with many shelves, and you get to pick what you put in your cart. If you want to shop for junk that's going to make you sick, that's your prerogative. If you want to stick to the outer aisles where most of the unprocessed, healthy things are, you can do that, too.

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)

So I'm going to put that in my basket, and when I get to the checkout line, if I see a few same-sex couples here and there who want to get married, I'm going to be happy for them and wish them the best.

Because the definition of marriage is between two people. They define what it means to them the same way couples may write their own wedding vows -- without any editing from the government.

I really like your way of looking at things. Well stated! 8-)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose I did in about 1999, when asked (over the phone) by our family friend, a baptist or something similar from Indiana. She asked me if I would accept the LoRRRd into mah Hearrrrt, so I did, to please her, but quite confused that she didn't seem to believe that Catholics are actually Christians. Oh how little I knew!

In real life I have very little exposure to fundies or evangelists, my friends locally are mostly Catholic, Anglican or nothing.

I think it comes from a booklet that was paased out by the Campus Crusade for Christ (now "Cru"). The founder, a guy named Bill Bright wrote this tract in 1952. It has a bit in it about accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior. It was part of the background of my teens (1970s).

Archived