IGNORED

Heartbreaking ex-gay post

snuggles911

I sometimes get Facebook links to articles that my Christian friends have "liked." Today this one came across my feed (not breaking link b/c well-known website):

http://www.christianpost.com/news/for-y ... ed-133098/

Anyway, it's written by an ex-gay blogger Matt Moore who claims God didn't initially cure him of the sin of being gay b/c he wasn't fully committed to his faith. Now, that he's fully been born again, he is starting to be attracted to women and can see himself married one day.

The self-hatred this man expresses is heartbreaking. He'll be fighting himself and his same-sex desires for the rest of his life, even if he does marry a woman someday. His story made me sad as did the fact that three people from my church have liked it, meaning they believe that becoming an ex-gay is simply a matter of renouncing sin.

Poor man.

I hope he doesn't marry though. That's not fair to the woman or any children they might have together.

That's really sad.

I feel like even Evangelicals these days are realizing that you can't turn gay people straight. Now it's okay to be gay but you just can't act on it. Because that is so progressive and loving. :?

Firstly, when I grew up pleading with God to make me straight, I had no real interest in God Himself. I wasn't praying for God to do this because I loved Him or wanted to live my life for Him. I was actually pretty unconcerned about Him, to be honest. I wanted God to take away my same sex desires for my own benefit – so that I could fit in, be normal, be one of the guys, and even so that I could just have sex with girls like all of my friends were. < — So I obviously wasn't worried about being sexually moral. I just wanted to be sexually normal.

My desire to be made straight was all about me. I had no interest in being reconciled to God or having a relationship with Christ.

I just can't get over what a total asshole the God of fundamentalism is. Petty. Small. Mean.

I just can't get over what a total asshole the God of fundamentalism is. Petty. Small. Mean.

I think I'm going to borrow that one day Burris. For a brief time my oldest went to a mega Evangelical church, during a bible study they were discussing dinasaurs and fossils and some people were saying fossils were God's way of testing your faith. I'm glad my daughter figured it out. My thoughts were I feel tested and struggle to be nice to people I just don't like, or have to push myself to be extra kind and compassionate when I feel busy, or want to go do other things. I don't want to have to worry about fucking fossils.

For a brief time my oldest went to a mega Evangelical church, during a bible study they were discussing dinasaurs and fossils and some people were saying fossils were God's way of testing your faith.

I've heard this nonsense, too; that God essentially lies to everyone and punishes all those who believe what the evidence says. People who make this claim openly think the author of "good" is a practiced deceiver. They follow because they're sure that a failure to do so will lead to eternal torture.

That's about exactly as irritating as the smug self-assurance I've encountered in every vocal supporter of this idea I've ever met (either in life or online).

Thanks, fundies for perverting Scripture and causing self-hatred.

Unfortunately it isn't a perversion. It is a literal interpretation. (IMO) The Old Testament God is cranky and intolerant.

This breaks my heart. I know people that suffer with this. They are good people, but hate themselves because of who they are and they are what they think their God hates. If there was a God, why would he/she do that to the people he/she supposedly loves. I don't understand.

I think that the ones that created all the gods and religions are the ones that were stupid, petty, mean, little, controlling, and evil selfish maniacs.

I'd like to think that there is a god out there who has nothing to do with any of these hateful religions.

Guys, guys, I know a real ex-gay married couple!

I went to college with them- they were fundie-lite (normal in dress and education, but anti-everything). The guy said he was ex-gay, and his girl said that God "saved" her from being bi (which makes me stabby, because my wife is bi and had to take a lot of religious crap from family- but my wife doesn't need "saving!")

They got married at 20 and 21, and just had a baby. They are now 22 and 23, and did not intend the baby (I'm guessing they're anti-the Pill). To their credit, they have their own place, and seem to be able to afford to care for the baby.

But, I see the strain. Ex-gay dude now must weigh over 300 pounds. He was only a bit chubby when we first met, but he kept gaining, and eating lots of terrible food. I'm not saying this to fatshame, but just to say that I really think that he's stressed from stifling himself, so he drowns his feelings in pasta.

The wife, being bi, seems to do slightly better, but she's absolutely obsessed with the baby, and every photo with her husband looks so stiff and unhappy.

And to top it off- where is the dude from- a town called Gaylord! Yes, really. :cracking-up:

Unfortunately it isn't a perversion. It is a literal interpretation. (IMO) The Old Testament God is cranky and intolerant.

I was referring to the verses quoted in the article, and Romans is part of the New Testament. The quoted verses do not refer to homosexuality directly. It refers to idolatry and how people turn against their their nature while committing idolatry. That's my interpretation.

Just so sad...

So I prayed. Oh. How. I. Prayed.

"God, make me normal."

"God, make me straight."

"God, make me like everyone else."

But God didn't answer those prayers. Why?

Why?

Because you were just perfect the way you were. If God created you, and if God doesn't make mistakes, it stands to reason he created you perfectly. Love yourself for who you are.

I've heard this nonsense, too; that God essentially lies to everyone and punishes all those who believe what the evidence says. People who make this claim openly think the author of "good" is a practiced deceiver. They follow because they're sure that a failure to do so will lead to eternal torture.

That's about exactly as irritating as the smug self-assurance I've encountered in every vocal supporter of this idea I've ever met (either in life or online).

Exactly. We would never put up with those qualities in another human being...they would be considered toxic and someone to avoid. The fundie God is such a dick he doesn't deserve any love and respect.

Archived