IGNORED

OMG, Botkins are giving it away for free!

Marian the Librarian

I can't sit through that whole thing, but honestly, if you have 2nd generations leaving the movement in droves, isn't it just possible that the movement was never all that worthy to begin with? If these kids had a wonderful experience when homeschooled and found wonderful careers, then I doubt they would be leaving. Instead they would be the biggest champions of Homeschooling

Yep, exactly. Their logic is totally flawed. Plus, as a historian, their grand, sweeping statements really irritated me. "Throughout history...." is like nails on a chalkboard. It's a rookie mistake and screams out "AMATEUR!!" to me. Nothing has remained completely constant. Even the most conservative historians will tell you that almost nothing "throughout history" has remained the same. But nuance doesn't mesh with the grand narratives the Botkins so enjoy constructing.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the whole movement sort of reminds me of a snake swallowing it's own tail. But first, let me say, I am not absolutely against homeschooling. I know there are some decent programs out there and there are instances where homeschooling may be preferable.

But with these people and their ilk, they are the snake that swallows its tail. They get homeschooled and indoctrinated, and then they go on to the only career they are suited to, which is to claim to have a ministry, and then just talk about the virtues of the ministry and homeschooling. And so on. But eventually just how many people does the world really need who make talking about homeschooling, the virtue of being a SAHD and carrying on the family business of a ministry, etc? Eventually they have swallowed themselves up, and no one even gives as flying F***. The whole concept is unsustainable past 2 generations IMO

Oh FFS. These people. :snooty:

LOVE the idea of homeschooling creating the world's leading scientists or engineers. Just you and mom, sitting at the kitchen table, discovering a new class of antibiotics. Or building a commercial aircraft. Typical homeschool curriculum. Happens all the time.

What? You thought you needed field training, and a team of professional collaborators, and access to an immense body of knowledge that's taken human beings hundreds of years to compile? Just to do a spinal fusion? Just to build a simple skyscraper?!

Joke's on us! Should have just been homeschooled! :roll:

I did think the same. Would love them to show us their huge potential doing something diferent than trying to indoctrinate people.

Anyway, do you know if there is any chance to access "The return of the daughters" now that they seem to give things away for free?

Been dying to watch it since they produced it, but never wanted to pay a penny.

Their bios are at once grandiose and pathetic. It says that (Before the kids) he worked "on seismic oil exploration exploding dynamite"

OK< that would be likely either a Seismic Helper / Jughound or a Shooter / Blaster

this position is typically filled by seismic helpers oilfieldworkers.com/seismicjobs.php

And those terms are likely familiar to him if he really worked doing that. But it doesn't sound "good" enough.

And all the kidults are some kind of consultant and or admin assistants to dad. To whom do they consult?

Their org's statement is

We exist to help Christians learn to biblically analyze cultures, especially their own, and to help lead their respective cultures in the right direction.

Our mission is to provide the resources and tools to help families and individuals gain the skills they need to become the leaders they wished existed in the arts and the sciences, politics, law, economics, local and international missions, and most of all, their own families, communities and churches.

So, do we have any testimonials from successful cultures they have changed? They are like the Maxwells if the girls were allowed to go out a bit more. They all work at the family business, the girls are not married, some of the boys are, there are a sprinkling of grandkids, they seem a bit more grandiose (I would say I think they have a "legacy" business while the Maxwell's seem to have a "lifestyle" business.)

When i worked for a consulting firm, I had dozens of case studies of where our consultants had made a difference. Here they are just selling a few videos and given a few away and blogging and we don't see much in the way of successful case studies.

A few iffy testimonials is all you can get if you are mostly selling air and fluff.

Archived