IGNORED

Least favorite fundie saying

dilannsmom

Not limited specifically to fundies, but I hate "Jesus is the reason for the season" at Christmastime. Jesus may be the reason for a major holiday celebrated during that season (although even that's debatable), but not for the entire season. I'm pretty sure they had winter for quite awhile before Jesus came along. And cutesy rhyming slogans just generally annoy me.

"The Bible clearly states X, Y, Z."

No, it doesn't. There are thousands of Christian denominations that claim that their interpretation of the Bible is correct, and that alone should prove that the Bible isn't "clear" on much. As an example, fundies usually say things like, "The Bible clearly states that the earth is 6,000 years old," but many Christians vehemently disagree with that. I could go on and on. It's a pet peeve of mine. I'm an agnostic at this point in my life, but it doesn't bother me that Christians believe in the Bible; it just bothers me when people (and it's usually fundies who are guilty of this) insist that the Bible is simple and easy to understand when it's actually incredibly complex.

Anything about spiritual warfare. . . they tend to talk about "the enemy" as if the devil is hiding behind every bush waiting to entrap them.

In mainstream fundie-ism: "I'm giving the glory to God for [my mediocre singing, awful poetry, my son's T-ball win, general idiocy] because He has blessed me with my talent."

In dominionism: "I'm taking every [terrible thing I write, dull music bit I score] captive for the Glory of God."

Don't slap God with that kind of insult.

Archived