IGNORED

Developing Your Gifts Within the Family Economy - Botkinette

Columbia

Wait, they live in Franklin, TN? I was there a few months ago for a family reunion, and thought I saw someone who looked liked AS pass me on the sidewalk in downtown Franklin (not at the reunion-not related to them). YIKES! Must have really been her.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait, they live in Franklin, TN? I was there a few months ago for a family reunion, and thought I saw someone who looked liked AS pass me on the sidewalk in downtown Franklin (not at the reunion-not related to them). YIKES! Must have really been her.

I have family that lives fairly close to the Wallers in the Chicago area and I am always on the lookout for them when we go to visit.

Will admit that going through Tennessee on our way to Florida, I do keep an eye out for some of our usual suspects, Botkins, Bates, etc.

And passing through Georgia, I always question which pecan grove that the Pecan Thief "gleaned" his pecans.

I could be mistaken, but I think they live in Centerville.

No. Women could own property in 1926

It sort of depends

I get this from The Guardian

"US, 1848: Married Woman’s Property Act is passed in New York. It is later used as a model for other states, all of which pass their own versions by 1900. For the first time, a woman wasn’t automatically liable for her husband’s debts; she could enter contracts on her own; she could collect rents or receive an inheritance in her own right; she could file a lawsuit on her own behalf. She became for economic purposes, an individual, as if she were still single."

But also in the same article

"France, 1881: France grants women the right to own bank accounts; five years later, the right is extended to married women, who are allowed to open accounts without their husbands’ permission. The US does not follow suit until the 196os, and the UK lags until 1975."

Not to mention the law and real life often varied.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/us-mon ... ne-history

Sorry for the weird quotes, the tools weren't working for me.

so, basically in this world, Women can aspire to be subservient, married, baby making machines, or they can be SAHD, being a servant to the family until they die.?

I guess this sort of explains poor Jana's situation. If she has been raised to think this is normal, then she probably doesn't aspire to much more than being a good, humbly SAHD doing all of the work around the house.

But also in the same article

"France, 1881: France grants women the right to own bank accounts; five years later, the right is extended to married women, who are allowed to open accounts without their husbands’ permission. The US does not follow suit until the 196os, and the UK lags until 1975."

Not to mention the law and real life often varied.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/us-mon ... ne-history

Had not remembered this for a long time, but when my mom was in the process of divorcing my dad in 1967 in Texas, opening a bank account in her name only was a huge struggle. And she had been working at a clerical job to help keep us afloat for 4 years and my dad was no longer living with us.

Fast forward some years, my (now) ex and I opened a "joint" account at a local credit union to get a loan to buy a car. Unbeknownst to me, his name was automatically primary on the account, a fact I didn't discover until a few years after we broke up; the account had been inactive for years and they were blocking me from closing it on my own!

In addition, because I was not primary on the account, paying off the car loan in a timely way did NOT count towards my credit score. Having never had debt in my life (other than one car loan) did not count towards my credit score.

In fact, when I went to get a loan to buy a house, I had NO credit score.

Y'all may think this is ancient history, but it isn't. Let me just caution you to make sure all joint accounts you open with a spouse or SO are truly JOINT accounts.

Had not remembered this for a long time, but when my mom was in the process of divorcing my dad in 1967 in Texas, opening a bank account in her name only was a huge struggle. And she had been working at a clerical job to help keep us afloat for 4 years and my dad was no longer living with us.

Fast forward some years, my (now) ex and I opened a "joint" account at a local credit union to get a loan to buy a car. Unbeknownst to me, his name was automatically primary on the account, a fact I didn't discover until a few years after we broke up; the account had been inactive for years and they were blocking me from closing it on my own!

In addition, because I was not primary on the account, paying off the car loan in a timely way did NOT count towards my credit score. Having never had debt in my life (other than one car loan) did not count towards my credit score.

Y'all may think this is ancient history, but it isn't. Let me just caution you to make sure all joint accounts you open with a spouse or SO are truly JOINT accounts.

1975: I wanted a credit card; hubby did not. I went to banker I knew, who told me hubby needed to sign with me. He was in school; I was the breadwinner. I took the form, left his office for a moment, forged hubby's signature, went back inside, and said "Here it is." I got the card.

To quote from the above: Y'all may think this is ancient history, but it isn't.

A friend of mine, just older than me, said when her husband left, she needed to buy a washing machine and even though she had a higher income than her father, she still needed her dad to cosign to get a Sears credit card. This would have been the 70s.

The fact it is NOT ancient history is why when Men like Doug Phillips and the other patriarchs quote old testament verses about women not signing contracts, or promote obeying husbands (Lori and Ken I'm glaring at you) or women not voting, it should not be ignored, but decried, both logically and mockingly and quite loudly. Everything we think is a standard can go sideways very quickly.

Archived