IGNORED

Looks like Kristen Barbour is also going to avoid jail time

Stynjen

Remind me - how does this compare with the African-American mom working at McDonald's who allowed her 9 year old to go to the park alone? Or with typical drugs sentences for offenders who are poor and/or African-American?

This was severe abuse, not just a variant on normal parenting practices. It wasn't a one-time occurrence, but a pattern of repeated abuse over time. It was deliberate behavior, not just someone losing control. This was a couple, not just an overwhelmed single parent. These were people with resources who deliberately adopted children, not just someone who found themselves in a situation without knowing what to do or access to help. These were really young children, not difficult teens. In short, there isn't a single mitigating factor that I can see in this story which would make their actions more understandable or less evil. If this had gone on much longer, it could have been a homicide case.

If there is an explanation for the light sentence that doesn't involve this couple being married, Christian, white and well-connected politically, please tell me, because I can't see any.

They get the other kids back? Fuck. The doctors said the adopted kids were knocking on death's door. They caused head injuries. The girl will be blind in 1 eye. They lied to police. But no jail and their bio kids back??

I know a guy, no criminal record, got caught with one joint on his 30th birthday. He got a year of probation. The system is a cluster fuck.

This truly chafes my chaps and I'm having a big ol' WTF moment. If anyone ever deserved doing hard time in the pen, it is these two arrogant pricks who horribly abused their adopted children. AND I can't believe they just handed back the two bio children. Yup, white and privileged -- no jail time for them.

The bright spot is the adoptive parents see these kids as bright and beautiful and desire to offer a warm and loving home, and not to torture them as human punching bags.

One happy note: the state disciplinary board is likely to yank Douglas Barbour's law license. He'd better learn the phrase, "Would you like fries with that?".

Remind me - how does this compare with the African-American mom working at McDonald's who allowed her 9 year old to go to the park alone? Or with typical drugs sentences for offenders who are poor and/or African-American?

This was severe abuse, not just a variant on normal parenting practices. It wasn't a one-time occurrence, but a pattern of repeated abuse over time. It was deliberate behavior, not just someone losing control. This was a couple, not just an overwhelmed single parent. These were people with resources who deliberately adopted children, not just someone who found themselves in a situation without knowing what to do or access to help. These were really young children, not difficult teens. In short, there isn't a single mitigating factor that I can see in this story which would make their actions more understandable or less evil. If this had gone on much longer, it could have been a homicide case.

If there is an explanation for the light sentence that doesn't involve this couple being married, Christian, white and well-connected politically, please tell me, because I can't see any.

They aren't black and poor. Welcome to the USofA.

OMG. :cry: Those poor, poor kids. The parents won't be the only ones to have to answer to a higher power when they die for what they've done. Judge Manning will have a lot of explaining to do, too.

I completely agree this was beyond horrifying and nothing remotely akin to justice was done. :angry-banghead:

I am wondering if the judge made the decision she did because this awful couple had already been given their bio-kids back? I have heard of sentencing done to leave parents of young children a way to continue to care for their kids. Although the case I am thinking about was staggered. The Mom served her time a few months and was released just as the Dad went to jail to serve his sentence.

These people shouldn't be given a gold fish to care for let alone children.

That is outrageous. They abused some of their children. Period. In the eyes of the law, there should be no difference once the adoption is finalized. None of the children should be returned to an abusive home.

Ugh ugh ugh.

so, one of my friends shared a link about this, and apparently he was a former classmate of kristen's O.O small world

Sheesh. If they'd succeeded in killing the kids, I bet they would have gotten six years' probation.

Edited to add: I see the Barbours think Kristen shouldn't be sent to a halfway house because that will leave no one to care for their children. And she has such talent for it. Argh.

If this couple were black a very different sentence would've been handed down.

I have heard of sentencing done to leave parents of young children a way to continue to care for their kids. Although the case I am thinking about was staggered. The Mom served her time a few months and was released just as the Dad went to jail to serve his sentence.

I think this was the arrangement for a couple (Lea and Andrew Fastow?) convicted in the Enron scandal. The husband and wife served staggered sentences so someone was there for the kids.

She served one year, he served six.

so, one of my friends shared a link about this, and apparently he was a former classmate of kristen's O.O small world

Wait, the JUDGE was a former classmate of kristen? Would you provide the link?

They aren't black and poor. Welcome to the USofA.

Hey now, they could of been poor and Latino, or maybe just poor. Period.....the US of A is an equal opportunity respecter of $$ and status that way.

Wait, the JUDGE was a former classmate of kristen? Would you provide the link?

no, my friend (not a judge) is a former classmate of kristen's. he'd shared a link about the story because he was in shock that someone he knew could do something so heinous. sorry i wasn't clear on that. :)

Archived