IGNORED

We're adopting a cat!

lawlifelgbt

My wife and I have been thinking about getting a cat for a long time, and found a great feline rescue org! We have all the cat stuff it needs and will go and get it tomorrow.

We actually have two possibilities, since our top choice, a white-and-gray kitten named Cher, had a "hold" on her for another family and we're not sure if it's off or not. The other choice is a solid-black kitten with a few silvery sprinkles on its chest, Zimba. They are both about a year old, so either way, still quite young.

I can't wait for the cuteness tomorrow!

That's why we're getting one! It's really for me, and we selected specifically for affection. I have a propensity to be really anxious; however, affection calms me down. But, I'm only comfortable with it from my spouse and two close friends, one of whom now lives in Texas.

My wife, though, has a strong sense of personal space and hates people always touching her. Thus, a cat will help me be calmer, while respecting her space. (I am seriously like one of those people who would ALWAYS snuggle if possible). When we went to the shelter, I picked up and held all of the top candidates, and those that purred and reacted the most (snuggling or headbutting me) moved up the candidate list.

I would post photos if I knew how to do that on FJ in a way that doesn't identify us.

Understand that the cat will be the headship and have authority over you and your wife. It will expect you both to be submissive helpmeets. Anything kitty sees, kitty owns, so good luck with the personal space thing. Headbutting is not affection. It's marking you as it's property. Despite all of that, you will love it to death. I know I love my headship, Eli. He's my baby!

• 3 weeks later...

Yey for getting a Cat!

My last two cats are rescue Cats - poor Norm passed away and Tom is my shadow, he follows me everywhere. I couldn't love him more!

There is a saying -you didn't rescue a cat, a cat rescued you. So true in my case!! :wink-kitty:

• 8 months later...

sorry this is late but I hope you and your wife and new kitty are doing well. I'm reminded of the quote by Robert A. Heinlein "women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs have to get used to this fact."

Edited for grammar.

Archived