IGNORED

Mary Maxwell turns 18!

16strong

Happy Birthday, Mary! You are such a blessing to our family. Your joyful, radiant spirit exudes from your life. You love being Jesus’ and serving Him.

She loves being Jesus!?!? :?

P.s.. Where is the quote button?

Edited for riffles. Twice... :roll:

It is possessive: Jesus'

This means she belongs to Jesus

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Thank you. Much of my time will be spent drawing"

Seriously? That is it. Drawing? Surely there is something better she could be doing with her life.

:wtf:

It is possessive: Jesus'

This means she belongs to Jesus

Ah! Goes to show I shouldn't read without my glasses or immediately after getting home from work. Derp!

Still, the phrasing sounds awkward to me. Like she forgot a word? I dunno. Maybe I'm just too tired to think.

Seriously? That is it. Drawing? Surely there is something better she could be doing with her life.

Completely agree!!

Isn't drawing supposed to be fun? I wasn't aware these people were allowed to do that anymore. :wtf:

What is she going to draw, a fuck tonne of pictures of Jesus or something? Cause it's not like she'll be using any talent towards anything important... :roll:

They showed one of Mary's drawings once, I think. It was.....the drawing a person with o artistic sensibility whatsoever. It looked like something an average kid would do.

Well, drawing and working on her essay to be posted on their blog about why she's "chosen" not to go to ebil college so she won't be tempted by the Sodom and Gomorrah activities we all fell prey to...like studying late in the library, working a job or two to pay for it all, and (worst of all) those pointless Saturday afternoon football games.

They showed one of Mary's drawings once, I think. It was.....the drawing a person with o artistic sensibility whatsoever. It looked like something an average kid would do.

I remember that drawing and it was definitely average. Whether or not Mary has any real artistic talent remains to be seen (and I'm sure we will in an upcoming Moody book). But given the Maxwellian philosophy that says anything you're good must be squashed, I would think that art is something she's been assigned, much like Sarah was assigned the role of writer and Jesse was assigned an instrument that wasn't the one he excelled at. It's just what she does, not what she WANTS to do (and certainly her completely unenthusiastic, dead answer to the question in the comments bears this out).

I think I'd actually feel better if it turned out Mary DIDN'T have artistic ability because if she did it would probably die from failure to thrive in the Maxwell vacuum. I can't help but compare her to my friends' astonishingly talented daughter who just graduated from RISD. Her incredible talent was apparent from the time she wasn't even two and instead of treating it like a curse or something to be trampled down, her parents did everything they could to nurture it. They enrolled her in classes where she was almost always the youngest student and often the most praised, she studied at museums, she traveled abroad, she was given every opportunity and she made the most of all of it. She lives and breathes art and I have no doubt that she'll make her mark. Mary Maxwell, on the other hand, will never study other artists, never have an understanding of figure drawing since she'll never, EVER be allowed to study the nude human form, she'll never learn art history, and her "art" will empty, soulless and devoid of feeling. Any little talent she might have will be just that. Little. And little it shall remain.

I can't imagine a god who would be so cruel as to bestow talent and creativity on his children and then demand that they turn their backs on it. Yet this is the god the Maxwells devote their every waking moment to worshipping. And that's just one of many reasons why I completely and totally reject their way of thinking.

Wasn't there a post once describing their interaction with/preaching at a sales person? I think they said that Mary wants to work from home as an illustrator. I imagine her main (only) gig will involve the Moody books.

We are forgetting that Jesus Girl has had professional art lessons from the couple that visit once a year. Remember when all the children were taught how to draw one daffodil?

Ah! Goes to show I shouldn't read without my glasses or immediately after getting home from work. Derp!

Still, the phrasing sounds awkward to me. Like she forgot a word? I dunno. Maybe I'm just too tired to think.

This is because the maxwell children don't read, they write. So they have failed to learn how things look and sound awkward sometimes even if the grammar is acceptable.

The great conversationalists with their standard reply - "Thank you." lol. They don't even read the comments. One person asked where they manage to find their long denim skirt. The answer - Thank you. :lol:

Here you go, Mary. Some art lessons for ya. And you don't even have to leave home.

indemand.jpg

I remember that drawing and it was definitely average. Whether or not Mary has any real artistic talent remains to be seen (and I'm sure we will in an upcoming Moody book). But given the Maxwellian philosophy that says anything you're good must be squashed, I would think that art is something she's been assigned, much like Sarah was assigned the role of writer and Jesse was assigned an instrument that wasn't the one he excelled at. It's just what she does, not what she WANTS to do (and certainly her completely unenthusiastic, dead answer to the question in the comments bears this out).

I think I'd actually feel better if it turned out Mary DIDN'T have artistic ability because if she did it would probably die from failure to thrive in the Maxwell vacuum. I can't help but compare her to my friends' astonishingly talented daughter who just graduated from RISD. Her incredible talent was apparent from the time she wasn't even two and instead of treating it like a curse or something to be trampled down, her parents did everything they could to nurture it. They enrolled her in classes where she was almost always the youngest student and often the most praised, she studied at museums, she traveled abroad, she was given every opportunity and she made the most of all of it. She lives and breathes art and I have no doubt that she'll make her mark. Mary Maxwell, on the other hand, will never study other artists, never have an understanding of figure drawing since she'll never, EVER be allowed to study the nude human form, she'll never learn art history, and her "art" will empty, soulless and devoid of feeling. Any little talent she might have will be just that. Little. And little it shall remain.

I can't imagine a god who would be so cruel as to bestow talent and creativity on his children and then demand that they turn their backs on it. Yet this is the god the Maxwells devote their every waking moment to worshipping. And that's just one of many reasons why I completely and totally reject their way of thinking.

The sad thing is, she has shown some talent for sewing. I remember a post by Teri about how Mary picked it up easily and with gusto, compared to Sarah and Anna.

Mary could spend her days doing something she's good at AND could make money from. She could easily learn to make most of the Maxwells' clothes (particularly the youngest ones), and she could sell her clothes on the internet.

Why can't she do that?

Oh, wait, it's because she enjoys it, and we can't have that. :naughty:

Here you go, Mary. Some art lessons for ya. And you don't even have to leave home.

indemand.jpg

I'm old fart enough to remember these ads on my parent's matchbooks. Thanks for bringing up the memory, sparkles.

Happy 18th, Mary. This is the first day of the rest of your life. You can now legally escape your parents' bullshit and no one in the world can stop you. Fingers crossed you see the light about what your poor excuse for a dad is up to.

Poor Mary! Here's the contrast. My 18 year old is a Senior in high school, will graduate (once she passes the exam) as a licensed cosmetologist to help pay for college. Will start college within the next 12-18 months after graduation, will have her own car soon, has her own checking account and is allowed to go out with a great guy.

Here's what Mary can expect: Dad will change the rules and decide she must memorize the entire Bible to graduate. She will have to prove she can make burrito filling blindfolded, in the bus while they are on a highway and she must recite all of Proverbs in the random order that Steve calls out while she does so. If she's "good" and does well she can then have a fun day cleaning up the mess and blogging about how fun it was.

Mary---hop off the bus, Gus!! Poor girl. No future. None. Almost as sad, but not quite as her big sister

Looking at the pics of them at the restaurant they are split into two tables. I still think Nate and Chris don't get along as they are separated. Cool that Nate and his family didn't go on the hiking trip with the rest of them. I guess they need time away from the rest of the Maxhells.

What is with the answer to this comment?

Happy birthday, Mary!

Has Mary graduated from High School now and will she be joining the family business? :)

We follow your blog and were delighted to see Mary had completed her bible outline, and now she is 18! Well done Mary!

>>>>>>>>

Thank you. Much of my time will be spent drawing.

I think Steve edited that answer. Mary really wrote "Thank you. Much of my time will be spent drawing maps as I plan my escape."

I am an evil, black soul. I just can't see anything cute in Joshua. Maybe it is the contrast with Nathan's girls and the awful haircut NR Anna has given him. And the ever present multiple bibs... Just not a cute kid

He seems to have a funny shaped head. More hair might help and he's getting a little old for the stiff bib.

I am an evil, black soul. I just can't see anything cute in Joshua. Maybe it is the contrast with Nathan's girls and the awful haircut NR Anna has given him. And the ever present multiple bibs... Just not a cute kid

I also find that people with very fair complexions combined with naturally fair hair do not photograph well. It's like the eye doesn't know what to focus on. I've noticed this with NR-Anna. I think she has attractive features, but the lighting if always terrible for her in pictures and she is just washed out. If there were a skilled photographer taking her picture things might be different, but, well...

I think Steve edited that answer. Mary really wrote "Thank you. Much of my time will be spent drawing maps as I plan my escape."

I think it's more like "Thank you. Much of my time will be spent drawing, because that's what daddy says I should do."

Didn't Sarah start writing books because Steve told her to? Mary might make a great seamstress, but Steve may have thought she would enjoy it too much.

Joshua's head is shaped just like Christopher's -- he looks a bit like Bart Simpson. Hopefully he will grow into his box-head.

Archived