IGNORED

Jen Fulwiler Book Discussion

GeoBQn

Has anybody else been reading Something Other Than G-d by Jen Fulwiler (of Conversion Diary)? I just finished a copy from my local library.

I found it interesting to read her thought process of why she started to investigate Christianity, and eventually Catholicism. She and her husband tried to go at it but a point of logic, but who is setting the parameters of what is logical? It was troubling to see her and her husband completely reverse their views on birth control and abortion, simply because their exciting new religion told them to. Are potential converts required to realign ALL of their views to sync up with a new religion, when people born into a faith are free to disagree?

The book ends during her third pregnancy, so it does not cover the major complications she had in her most recent pregnancy.

I think that converts tend to fully explore a faith before making a switch so they are more on board with all the requirements whereas those born into a religion don't have that faith journey so they're more likely to pick and choose. That is until they do their own "is this faith really what I want to follow and can I truly follow it if I'm picking and choosing?" journey. So I don't see following all the rules a requirement for converting, but something that naturally happens for those that convert.

Archived