IGNORED

Lori Alexander says all women should cook

I hate cooking. Too time consuming. I guess I'm a bad person :shifty-kitty:
me too! my hubby's been out of town for a few weeks on business so it's been vacay from the kitchen days. (my kids love pancakes and scrambled eggs lol) :banana-linedance:

Lori has obviously never had one of my home-cooked dinners.

And I'm another woman with a husband who is an amazing cook.

I hate cooking. Too time consuming. I guess I'm a bad person :shifty-kitty:

I love to cook - when I want to cook. I just dislike the day-to-day "what am I going to make for dinner and do those damn kids really need to be fed EVERY day" part of it. :pull-hair:

Especially when I do make something new and fun and all I get is suspicious sniffs. That part is getting better as they get older, at least.

Lori is right on one tiny point. Women should know how to cook, but so should men. No one needs to be able to pull together a fancy or complicated meal but they should be able to take care of themselves. Cooking is just a basic life skill that will allow you to be independent, save money and likely eat healthier. There is nothing to say that a person should cook but they should be able to cook if they have to or if they want to.

What stuns me about fundies is that they think things like cooking and cleaning are innate, gender specific things but being LGBT is a choice. :angry-banghead:

Commented:

Who cares! Men can cook, if they have both arms, both legs, a pair of eyes and a decent level of reading comprehension. I do not understand why you're always talking about women must do this and women must do that. I like to cook, I hate to clean up. I sometimes prefer takeout. So...If I'm working late or on travel, the hubs can cook his own meals.

The whole "home cooked meal" thing is something that's been fed to the American public by the media. The food commercials, TV shows, even as far back as Leave It To Beaver. My one grandmother hated to cook, she told my grampa if he wanted to eat he could cook. My other grandmother didn't have a clue how to cook, she had a cook to do it for her. My mother was a lousy cook who would rather be doing anything BUT cooking, so my dad cooked. He wasn't great either but I survived. I'm a good cook but I'm over doing it. After 30 years of "what's for dinner", I'm all in favor of BK, In & Out, Firehouse, or anywhere BUT my kitchen. So...some folks don't know how to cook, don't like to cook, don't have time to cook. SO what...does that make them somehow less in your eyes? I can't seem to find anything in my bible that states that a woman MUST do this and do that or she will go to hell. Honey, if it's not a salvation issue than who cares...

I never understand the big (fundie) fuss about cooking. What do they want, a Michelin star or a best housewife of the year award??

Personally I love cooking (from scratch) even when I had a full time job as a widow with two teenage boys.

My late husband aka Germont was helping me in the kitchen by chopping an onion, peeling a shrimp, cleaning the stuff I used and pouring me a nice glass of wine while Mozart was on, that sort of thing. Occasionally (weekends) Germont cooked some tradional family recipes we all enjoyed. The boys always joined us in the kitchen and after Germont died, they sort of took over his role. They are/were both very good cooks.

I enjoy cooking, but not all the time. Every now and then, I get adventurous and try a new recipe. I'm often picky about what I eat, in terms of nutrition and taste, so when I do try something new, I'm often in the kitchen all day getting things just right. Whatever the dish of that day is, it usually turns out pretty well.

But more often than not, I want to eat in a hurry, so if I want something tasty and healthy, I'll block off a day for cooking and freezing meals like soups, stews and casseroles. I'll make several types of meals, freeze it all up, and have enough food for a month. Smartest thing I ever did was get a large freezer for the garage, I never run out of food now. Whatever I don't eat right away, I freeze.

Honey, if it's not a salvation issue than who cares...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :winner3::handgestures-thumbupright:

did she let your comment stay up? i hope so. :D

My husband can cook a few things decently, but his work schedules have never allowed for him to prepare many meals so I'm the primary cook. I'm fine with it and it would never occur to him to complain when I'm not in the mood. Good grief.

What baffles me is all the women I know who do most of the cooking but act like grilling is some foreign concept that only men understand. We had a cookout last year at our Girl Scout leader's house and she announced that someone would have to do the grilling and everyone looked at her like she had sprouted a second head. I was literally the only one there who was confident she could handle hot dogs. Just hot dogs. The easiest thing in the world to throw on a grill, and I don't even eat them. Most of my girfriends act the same way. I totally don't get it. Give me charcoal, an open fire, a gas grill, whatever. It's not that freaking difficult.

My husband can cook a few things decently, but his work schedules have never allowed for him to prepare many meals so I'm the primary cook. I'm fine with it and it would never occur to him to complain when I'm not in the mood. Good grief.

What baffles me is all the women I know who do most of the cooking but act like grilling is some foreign concept that only men understand. We had a cookout last year at our Girl Scout leader's house and she announced that someone would have to do the grilling and everyone looked at her like she had sprouted a second head. I was literally the only one there who was confident she could handle hot dogs. Just hot dogs. The easiest thing in the world to throw on a grill, and I don't even eat them. Most of my girfriends act the same way. I totally don't get it. Give me charcoal, an open fire, a gas grill, whatever. It's not that freaking difficult.

I bought my husband a BBQ/Grill for his 21st and he wouldn't use it for about 5 years! Said he didn't know how. Now he almost all of the grilling...I don't feel the need to get the meat, prepare it, prepare all the side and have to cook the meat too...so I'm more than happy to say I don't know how to get out of it.

I bought my husband a BBQ/Grill for his 21st and he wouldn't use it for about 5 years! Said he didn't know how. Now he almost all of the grilling...I don't feel the need to get the meat, prepare it, prepare all the side and have to cook the meat too...so I'm more than happy to say I don't know how to get out of it.

Acting like you can't and believing you really can't are two different things though. I'm just surprised at women who act like one literally needs testicles to be able to grill. And in turn, I'm baffled by men who refuse to cook unless it's grilling (I know plenty of those too). I've never understood what makes it so "manly" compared to a skillet.

My husband cooked dinner tonight...bacon and egg sandwiches :nenner:

I never grill because I don't wanna get stuck cleaning the barbecue pit, that is one nasty job. :lol:

But as it is, hubs makes a killer steak, better than most restaurants I've been to. If he never grilled, I'd be tempted to try, but I'm happier fielding the side dishes and desserts when we have steak.

post-10046-14451999171073_thumb.jpg

This is a book i actually have :lol:

and yes, it does have a recipe called "Ramen that eats like a meal"

amazon.com/Gentlemen-Start-Your-Ovens-Recipes/dp/0811852067

I agree that all women should cook. But I also believe all men should cook too. It's part of learning to be self-sufficient. I think Lori means that all women should be SLAVES.

Has Lori never watched PBS, Food Network, or even eaten in a fancy restaurant? The restaurant industry is dominated by male chefs. WTF?!?!

I think Lori's take on male chefs, might be that it is ok, because they are working men. I can see Lori saying something like "At home, women should the ones to cook."

I think Lori just can't accept the fact that not all men are the same. She has bashed stay at home dads before and she doesn't like that some men aren't like Ken or her sons. I also remember Lori once shared Ken's cookie receipe on her blog. I'm too lazy right now to find it. Some women just don't like cooking or they aren't good at it. I know a few couples, in which the wives openly admit they feel their husbands are the better cooks.

Dear Lori,

I can cook. I cook occasionally.

I am also the "keeper of the home". To clarify that for you, I work all day so that we can afford food and clothing, and a car. If I didn't work, and relied only on my husband's income, we'd be homeless, because his job, which he works really hard at, doesn't cover the other things than the mortgage and we enjoy eating and, well, we don't want to defraud the neighbors by being naked (although he might make more money at his job if he did it naked). So my income helps us keep our home.

Hows about we talk about working. I assume you plan on collecting Social Security when you get to be 65? Or getting Medicare? Do you pay into the system, or is it just easier to suck off the American people while sitting back and snarking about working moms, and working women, cause, you know, we all just work because we're selfish twits. I issue a challenge for you. when you get to be that age, don't sign up for either, since you didn't earn that benefit. But you're right, you're better because you can cook. . . .

At least I have money for takeout . . . and a schweet ride to pick it up in.

Dear Lori,

I can cook. I cook occasionally.

I am also the "keeper of the home". To clarify that for you, I work all day so that we can afford food and clothing, and a car. If I didn't work, and relied only on my husband's income, we'd be homeless, because his job, which he works really hard at, doesn't cover the other things than the mortgage and we enjoy eating and, well, we don't want to defraud the neighbors by being naked (although he might make more money at his job if he did it naked). So my income helps us keep our home.

Hows about we talk about working. I assume you plan on collecting Social Security when you get to be 65? Or getting Medicare? Do you pay into the system, or is it just easier to suck off the American people while sitting back and snarking about working moms, and working women, cause, you know, we all just work because we're selfish twits. I issue a challenge for you. when you get to be that age, don't sign up for either, since you didn't earn that benefit. But you're right, you're better because you can cook. . . .

At least I have money for takeout . . . and a schweet ride to pick it up in.

The Proverbs 31 wife ran a couple of businesses and had household help.

We can have a new Lori thread.

google tactics applied to subject line :google-tactics:

Carry on! :wink-kitty:

Archived