IGNORED

Dougie's *NEW* expedition -- mammoth hunting

Pclee

On a related note, why does Doug constantly do these big glorified vacations? Is there a religious purpose to them or is this just his hobby and he feels like sharing?

I'm wondering this, as well. It sounds like something a 12-year-old boy would come up with.

And if my husband kept going off on "manly adventures," I'd be hella concerned. Just sayin'.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, hopefully Doug knows there isn't any mammoth hunting in the winter. The spring and summer in Siberia are nice if you can stand the bugs.

Dude, if I were married to one of the Fake-triarches, I'd encourage him to get out of my hair and play dress-up in other countries as much as possible. It might be the only way I'd have any control over the run of my house & the raising of my children.

I'm wondering this, as well. It sounds like something a 12-year-old boy would come up with.

And if my husband kept going off on "manly adventures," I'd be hella concerned. Just sayin'.

I would be too. DH and his friends go do things, but nothing like this and, if he did, I'd be going with. The whole costume thing, the fact that they're publically documented so thoroughly and the fact that he's always going on these little adventures is just strange.

And who pays for all of this? A plane ticket to Moscow is $900, not to mention transport up to Siberia, which is extremely expensive. The last time my uncle went to St. Petersberg with his family, he spent $5000 on three plane tickets.

You can't drill or dig in the winter in Russia. They can't even mine diopside there in the ripping cold, and they get cold, hard cash for the stuff.

But how can you believe a single thing that Phillips says? His story about the Allosaur is complete fiction, and even Canned Ham used to admit it if you asked him. He hijacked that whole thing and finagled his way into the dig through Pete DeRosa anyway. Hijacking and lies all the way. Why would anyone believe that he was invited to anything?

You can't drill or dig in the winter in Russia. They can't even mine diopside there in the ripping cold, and they get cold, hard cash for the stuff.

But how can you believe a single thing that Phillips says? His story about the Allosaur is complete fiction, and even Canned Ham used to admit it if you asked him. He hijacked that whole thing and finagled his way into the dig through Pete DeRosa anyway. Hijacking and lies all the way. Why would anyone believe that he was invited to anything?

The Mir diamond mine shuts down during the winter as well and they bring in some serious bank for their rough. If they won't mine diamonds or drill for oil, it's bad.

DH's best friend is on his way back up to Siberia right now and, before he left, I got to see his outdoor gear. It's insane. He has this enormous parka that covers from hood to ankle and it's made of several layers of reindeer pelt, topped with fur. He also had a reindeer mask and goggles, reindeer and fur snowpants and huge moon boot looking fur boots and this is just so he can go outside. One duffel bag was devoted to wool socks, mittens and longjohns.

Siberian winters are very serious business and it's not a bright idea to go up there to play dress up. I sincerely hope that the trip never happens and, if it does, that nobody dies. But, I have a sneaking suspicion that, if they do go, they'll either go douring the summer or stage the whole thing WAY south of Siberia. The Arctic Circle is no place for them.

I fully expect to see Dougie in Cossack military uniform. Not only would he get to play dress-up, but he would fit right in with the culture (well, except for the Eastern Orthodox bit): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cossacks

Cossack family values are simple, rigid, and to a Western eye, seem to come from another era. The men build the home and provide an income; the women cook, clean and give birth to children. Traditional Russian values, culture, and Orthodoxy form the bedrock of their beliefs.[63]

Cossacks, particularly those in rural areas, tend to have more children than other Slavic or Christian peoples in Russia.

Rural Cossacks often live in large clans led by a elder patriarch, usually a grandfather, who often has the title of Ataman.

I think he's hoping to use the bitter cold to get naked and huddle with Peter Bradrick so they can "save themselves"

LMAO!! :lol:

:laughing-rolling:

It almost makes me wonder if some disgruntled intern thinks these up intentionally. If so, he's doing a killer job. Rock on, random VF intern.

I fully expect to see Dougie in Cossack military uniform.

That's what popped into my mind as well -- something like Rod Steiger or Alec Guinness in Dr. Zhivago (can't remember which one wore the Cossack hat).

I fully expect to see Dougie in Cossack military uniform. Not only would he get to play dress-up, but he would fit right in with the culture (well, except for the Eastern Orthodox bit): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cossacks

Cossack family values are simple, rigid, and to a Western eye, seem to come from another era. The men build the home and provide an income; the women cook, clean and give birth to children. Traditional Russian values, culture, and Orthodoxy form the bedrock of their beliefs.[63]

Cossacks, particularly those in rural areas, tend to have more children than other Slavic or Christian peoples in Russia.

Rural Cossacks often live in large clans led by a elder patriarch, usually a grandfather, who often has the title of Ataman.

If he dishonors the Cossak like that, I don't even know what to say. It's so deeply disrespectful. I also doubt that he'd fit into the lifestyle. Cossaks are extremely hard working people who are willing to endure a great deal of hardship to provide for their families. They're also extremely humble people and they hold women in very high regard. Cossak women are cherished and men will go hungry, to make sure that their wives and daughters are fed.

The fact that Dougie would even be there, while leaving his wife at home, would subject him to a great deal of scorn. He should be at home taking care of her, rather than pissing on Cossak history.

If he dishonors the Cossak like that, I don't even know what to say. It's so deeply disrespectful. I also doubt that he'd fit into the lifestyle. Cossaks are extremely hard working people who are willing to endure a great deal of hardship to provide for their families. They're also extremely humble people and they hold women in very high regard. Cossak women are cherished and men will go hungry, to make sure that their wives and daughters are fed.

The fact that Dougie would even be there, while leaving his wife at home, would subject him to a great deal of scorn. He should be at home taking care of her, rather than pissing on Cossak history.

Considering the disrespect he leveled at the American WWII vets that he supposedly admires so highly, pissing on Cossack culture probably wouldn't even register...

Considering the disrespect he leveled at the American WWII vets that he supposedly admires so highly, pissing on Cossack culture probably wouldn't even register...

Yeah, cause we're Godless Commies and all. With all of the diisrespect that the US already leveled at them, what's a couple more American twerps, in the grand scheme of things?

Dude, if I were married to one of the Fake-triarches, I'd encourage him to get out of my hair and play dress-up in other countries as much as possible. It might be the only way I'd have any control over the run of my house & the raising of my children.

Jencendiary, "Fake-Triarch" is a beautiful, beautiful term. Thank you.

Oh dear, Doug's latest video in Peru has a spiel about the architectural importance of the snake motif. He's doing it for us, right? RIGHT?!

Archived