IGNORED

Anna's Baby Shower game

cindyluvs24

I like the clothespin game. Maybe it is because I am fiercly competitive and will wrestle my grandmother if I see her cross her legs! =D

If any of my pregnant friends ask me to sniff chocolate diapers at their upcoming showers, I am taking my present and getting out of there! That is just :barf:

I just refused all showers from start to finish. Someone at my husband's office threw a shower for him before the wedding, though. I was glad that I didn't have to go.

I can't even remember what we did at my wedding shower or baby shower. I think we might have had baby food without labels and you had to guess the flavor? I hate games too,and I hate the "chicken dance" and line dances so I didn;t want them at my wedding.

I hate games in general. I am not a competetive person, and the last time I played a game socially was Pictionary at brunch. The other teams were such sore losers, it degenerated into yelling and someone tearing up the points. Might I add that I was the youngest at the party?

I guess I shouldn't be sexist, but this is the reason I will avoid playing games with (straight) guys whenever possible. My best friend's boyfried is a HORRIBLE sport. Everything from Taboo (the worst!) to Clue to x-box...he will pitch a fit and quit if he's losing, or start making some smart-ass annoying comments to rub it in when he's winning :evil:

I'm ok with party games as long as other people are getting into them too, but I would not want to plan them. I agree that they often end up seeming forced.

I've only been to two baby showers in my life and they were for the same woman. My Aunt had like five different baby showers for her first baby. I was six then but don't really remember any games. All I remember is a bunch of balloons and wondering why only she got to open presents.

After seeing it on the show, I did the game at a co workers party. I thought it was funny.

I like the stooopid games. lol

Add me to the chorus of shower game haters. I will put on a good face and join in if I'm a shower guest (although there were no games at the last shower I went to and there were margaritas, thank you sweet baby Jesus), but for the two baby shower's I've given, I tried to say no. I co-organized the first one, but the co-organizer insisted, and since it was at her house, I acquiesced. However, she had to come up with them. I was in charge of the food, she was in charge of the games. For the second one, the mama-to-be didn't want games either, so I bought a bunch of white onsies in different sizes from 0-24 mos, some good fabric paint, some brushes, and some stamps, and we all made cute onsies that lasted her well into the baby's first year. It fulfilled the "something to do" requirement, was low pressure, especially since there were stamps, and no one was forced to make one. If I host another shower, I'll probably do it again.

For the second one, the mama-to-be didn't want games either, so I bought a bunch of white onsies in different sizes from 0-24 mos, some good fabric paint, some brushes, and some stamps, and we all made cute onsies that lasted her well into the baby's first year. It fulfilled the "something to do" requirement, was low pressure, especially since there were stamps, and no one was forced to make one. If I host another shower, I'll probably do it again.

I've done this for two showers now and it was a really enjoyable activity. We used good quality fabric markers and had a variety of stencils, and the mom to be loved it both times.

I also admit I enjoy baby showers that serve booze in some form. Wine, mimosas, whatever. It makes it easier for any non-pregnant guests to sit through an hour or more of gift opening! :lol:

Count me in among the game-haters. I'm the maid of honor for one of my college roommates, who's getting married next summer and I'm already trying to figure out how I can get out of planning games for the shower in April. I feel kind of bad for wanting to impose my hatred of games on the rest of the guests, but I cringe at the thought of having to direct things like that. Plus, most shower games I've found (except for the toilet paper wedding dress, which is stupid and wasteful) tend to be dirty and her grandmother is going to be there. Pass.

I was in the same boat as a matron of honor planning a shower while I hated playing dumb games. I ended doing a bride aand groom trivia game and another bridesmaid did a pass the present style game. It was great for a mixed group of people ages 6 to mid eighties.

I for one like games.

I have some good ones, the first works for any kind of shower. Draw a Bingo card on a piece of paper, but leave all the squares blank, and have people fill in their own card with things you think the showeree will get as a gift, (you already know what you brought so put those in the corners), then as the gifts are opened, cross off the gifts they open and you give out prizes for each bingo until you run out of prizes.

Ice Breaker - got to a shower and found a large thick envelope on each table as a centerpiece. Once everyone was seated, we were told that the person who drove the farthest to get to the shower was to open the envelope. Inside was a slightly smaller envelope that said give to the youngest person, they opened it and found another with a new direction, person with most siblings, who has known the person the longest. You had to talk to everyone to get the answers, and the person who opened the last envelope found a gift certificate inside. You could tailor the questions to the crowd, and the possibilities are endless.

Fun baby shower. There were several packages of play dough at each table. Tables were told to make items out of play dough a baby would use. Some people got elaborate, others did a flat square and said it was a diaper, a flat rectangle was a blanket, comb, teddy bear, bottle, anything you could think of you had to shape in play dough. It was a hoot, and fun to see what everyone came up with. Table that had the most items won.

I HATE party games and don't understand the sense behind them. Why can't a party just have a little food, conversation and drink-even if its just coffee?

I have friends who sell pampered chef and other items. Granted, I wouldn't like these parties anyway but the type of games they play just annoy me. If someone wants to play games, why not have a card game or horseshoes?

Oh, I so agree. It's bad enough I have to occasionally attend these crappy events, but isn't it enough that after the "demo" or whatever we can sit around with glasses of wine and just talk and have some snacks? :roll:

I like shower games. I win almost every time. At my cousin's baby shower, everyone had to bring in a baby picture (menfolk included) and post it on a corkboard. Each photo was assigned a number and you had to write down whose picture was whose. My cousin's hubby has five brothers and their baby pictures all looked alike. So I hung around on the perimeter and eavesdropped on their wives. "I know #3 is Ken... And #7 is John... Is #8 Matt?" As the wives gave each other the answers, I jotted them all down. They didn't even see me! And I made myself disappear before they could ask about my side of the family.

Another fun time at a baby shower was when we had to play a word scramble game and I gave all the answers to my sister's grandmother-in-law, a teeny-tiny old lady who was having difficulty keeping up. She was so happy when she won the prize.

Hating cutsie games at showers is just proof that you FJers are all just androgenous and want to be men. If you were all proper women, you'd get all sexually turned on by such games and would go home and not need any foreplay attention from your anaconda sporting sweaty man.

(Seriously, though, they sniff diapers? I hope this means that someone put real chocolate in a diaper and that it's not a euphemism for stool. And how would people know what kind of chocolate smelled like -- enough to guess brands.??? I love chocolate, and as a Pennsylvania girl, I'd like to think I could peg a bar of Hershey's mil chocolate over other brands, but I don't think I could ID it by smell in a diaper, nor could I identify any other kind of chocolate from another.)

I think they are actually EATING the chocolate, which makes it even more disgusting.

I guess I'm in the minority as someone who actually likes games (not those of the cheesy and/or disgusting babyshower variety, though). While I can be a decent conversationalist when I get started on something I care about, I'm not "chatty" and would generally rather be doing something than mingling. Even among close friends, my idea of an ideal "night in" is a board game or Wii game get-together. And food, food is good too. But no chocolate faux poop in diapers.

I like the idea of Who's Line is It Anyway style party games, among the right crowd.

Edited due to italics fail.

I went to a wedding shower last month that had a 20-page packet of games. Word searches, "match the famous couples," getting-to-know-the bride, the purse game...on and on. I can deal with one or two games, but that's about it. After that it just gets boring and tedious. My sister-in-law was also there and the two of us pretty much refused to do any of the games, and no one noticed or cared.

Yeah, I don't really mind silly shower games, but this particular one grossed me out. I mean, how fun is it to eat melted chocolate out of a disposable diaper. Obviously they wanted it to look like fake $hit . To each his own but they seemed to be enjoying it a little too much. I think these gals need to get out more.

Yeah, I don't really mind silly shower games, but this particular one grossed me out. I mean, how fun is it to eat melted chocolate out of a disposable diaper. Obviously they wanted it to look like fake $hit . To each his own but they seemed to be enjoying it a little too much. I think these gals need to get out more.

Amen sister. I was just recently at a Epicure party that was also a wedding shower. This would have been great for the Duggar girls - introduce them to the world of spices (beyond salt and pepper) and new recipes that don't involve canned soup as a base. Maybe their heads would explode if they tried jalapeno jelly or pesto or jamabalaya (sp?).

I really do not like the diaper game I find it disgusting but what can they do if everything is so forbidden

Archived