IGNORED

Alabama Ministry Quotes Hitler, Apologizes (MERGED)

ViolaSebastian

The ministry claims it had 'honorable intentions.' Because heaven knows that when I see an Adolf Hitler quote, I think 'honorable intentions.'

He needs to slap himself and then go to some kind of sensitivity class or something. :angry-banghead:

I can see where their insular way of thinking and lack of critical thinking skills at all, could lead to them seeing nothing wrong with that quote at all (in big ass letters right out in public no less). And even after their lack of judgement was pointed out to them, I can see them sitting around, stumped, trying to get it through their Jesus zombie eaten brains, how it was so bad and how the general public couldn't just see the "good intentions" behind it.

I think I get what they were trying to do (teach your kids themselves or else you'll lose them to "the world"), but if so that was a terrible way to get that message across.

Well, and what sort of ministry that thinks the Bible is the word of God thinks 'Hmm...we should definitely put that Bible quote in second billing and a smaller font...'

Well, Hitler was a Christian, so there's that... :?

I think I get what they were trying to do (teach your kids themselves or else you'll lose them to "the world"), but if so that was a terrible way to get that message across.

I can kind of see where they were trying to go, too..... " not only will you lose them to the "world" but look at what the evil world will do to them!!"

Buuuuttttt... No. Just no.

Just when I think people in my state couldn't get more ignorant, this shit pops up. *shakes head in shame*

Jesus fucking christ.

They know enough to call abortion a holocaust but don't understand WHO STARTED THAT WHOLE THING?

I rather like those moments when asshole fundies display their assholery . . .

for all the world to see . . .

on an enormous billboard. :D

I only wish it had been one of the electronic ones.

We are pulling the billboard and certainly never intended to cause confusion

so the people who see a problem with it are just confused? of course... :think:

and am i the only one who can't see an apology anywhere in that article? :angry-banghead:

It's embarrassing how many of my FB "friends" (from my fundie-yesteryears) have been defending this moron. Oddly enough, they're the same group of people who physically protested the billboard that the Alabama Atheist put up last year.

This is weird. I always thought that fundie prefer Franco, Mussolini, or Petain. Especially Franco, actually. But they were Catholics, this is why they have preferred Hitler, maybe.

Seriously? Is there anyone in the world (except for Nazis of course) who doesn't realise that Hitler was a bad man. You would have to be living under a rock to not know that quoting Hitler in a positive way is a really bad idea.

Seriously? Is there anyone in the world (except for Nazis of course) who doesn't realise that Hitler was a bad man. You would have to be living under a rock to not know that quoting Hitler in a positive way is a really bad idea.

I have not read the article, but I am betting they meant to illustrate that people like Hitler understood the importance of forming your children, so Christians darn well need better get their act together.

I have not read the article, but I am betting they meant to illustrate that people like Hitler understood the importance of forming your children, so Christians darn well need better get their act together.

That's giving them a lot of credit!

Honestly, I got the impression from the article that they literally did not realise Hitler=bad.

Honestly, I got the impression from the article that they literally did not realise Hitler=bad.

It really is giving them a lot of credit, though I guess I can see doing that if I squint, though a billboard you can see for maybe 5 seconds if you're lucky as you're driving isn't the best place for that "subtlety". I personally thought the "best case scenario" was that they liked the quote, didn't care that it was Hitler and forgot to remove the citation.

It's not like people haven't appropriated "problematic" (to put it mildly) historical figures before but they generally don't announce or even realise where it comes from. These guys can't even claim that.

I really think even they know that Hitler was bad, it was just a really terrible way of expressing their message and they weren't prescient enough to realize that other people aren't going to interpret things the same way they do.

This feels like people want to believe fundies are a lot dumber than they are. I just don't believe they are quite that ignorant.

I read it and I still didn't get that impression.

I wonder if they realize that their quotable source (Hitler) would have voted them off the island (and into the camps/ovens) because they weren't his cup of tea?

Archived