IGNORED

Steve Maxwell's mother passed away May 18

SPHASH

I am happy the little girls have chickens. It's a wonderful experience for them. Several years ago, we rented a house in the country for 4 years and our landlords allowed us to have a flock of chickens. We had about 30. They were SO. MUCH. FUN. We handled them a ton from the day we got them as chicks and they loved human company, they really were more like pets. If you sat in a chair out in the yard, there were several that would come over and hop up into your lap for a cuddle. We sold their eggs and they completely paid for themselves (the cost of their food, bedding, and the lumber to build their house) several times over. My husband could not keep up with the demand for the eggs at work. They roamed all over the acre or so around our house eating grass and bugs all day, plus supplementary feed from us, and all our kitchen scraps. Those were some damn good eggs.

Anyway, kudos to Nathan and Melanie for giving their girls a fun, hands-on experience that they will always remember. Stevehovah surely wouldn't ever let his kids do anything so FUN.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am happy the little girls have chickens. It's a wonderful experience for them. Several years ago, we rented a house in the country for 4 years and our landlords allowed us to have a flock of chickens. We had about 30. They were SO. MUCH. FUN. We handled them a ton from the day we got them as chicks and they loved human company, they really were more like pets. If you sat in a chair out in the yard, there were several that would come over and hop up into your lap for a cuddle. We sold their eggs and they completely paid for themselves (the cost of their food, bedding, and the lumber to build their house) several times over. My husband could not keep up with the demand for the eggs at work. They roamed all over the acre or so around our house eating grass and bugs all day, plus supplementary feed from us, and all our kitchen scraps. Those were some damn good eggs.

Anyway, kudos to Nathan and Melanie for giving their girls a fun, hands-on experience that they will always remember. Stevehovah surely wouldn't ever let his kids do anything so FUN.

Added benefit to chickens: any scorpion or stinging centipede around your yard will have about 2 seconds to live after a chicken sees it. Chickens LOVE to eat them!

Archived