IGNORED

Dropping Like Flies - PA gay marriage ban overturned (Merge)

thekate

It has been a couple of good weeks for marriage equality. Today a Pennsylvania judge has struck down an existing same-sex marriage ban.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... g/9323521/

A quote from the judge who issued the ruling:

"We are a better people than what these laws represent," Jones wrote. "It is time to discard them into the ash heap of history."

Well said, sir.

:dance:

Take that, homophobic bigoted Pennsylvania relatives! My abusive, child-collecting, lying hypocrite of an aunt left California in part because she thought it had become "immoral." Now what will she do? :whistle:

Yaaaaaayyyy the tide is turning, folks. This has been such an encouraging week, and in the least likely of places. Even if they do throw in a stay, it's moving in the right direction. Sooner or later it's going to be a federal thing, and then America will have finally caught up! Rock on, "activist judges", rock on.

Also, now Brian and Justin can finally get married...

BrianJustin58_2.jpg

Okay, more awesomeness about the judge in this case. He's also the one that struck down the idea of teaching "intelligent design" in science classes in Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Jones_III

Ironically, he was endorsed by Rick Santorum when he was being confirmed by the US Senate. Santorum's probably not too happy about that now.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/ ... vania.html

A map on NBC news on this article was interesting, all states except three, have already legalized gay marriage or have bans that have been overturned but are in appeals or have bans that are being challenged right now!! pretty effing cool I say, won't be long now ;)

I am so happy about this and I must say it's about time! I can't believe Arkansas legalized gay marriage before us (Arkansas!).

Last year when the clerk in Montgomery county was issuing marriage licenses to gay couples, my best friend and her fiancee (now wife) were the last ones to get a license before the clerk was shut down. They were license #174! They had calls on their answering machine to be interviewed by the local papers, but my best friend was nervous about it and declined to be interviewed. They were getting married the next weekend in New Jersey and were going to be away for two weeks and was afraid of outing herself to her neighbors and then not being home, in case one or more took offense and wanted to do something to her house. As a straight woman I was just so excited for her I wanted her to shout it from the rooftops and it never occurred to me that she would have to worry about something like that. :(

The Governor decided to NOT appeal, so same sex marriage will progress unhindered in PA!

This is just about the only thing Corbett's ever done that I can get behind. He's a total douchelord.

This is just about the only thing Corbett's ever done that I can get behind. He's a total douchelord.

He obviously wants to be reelected this fall and has seen his dismal approval ratings, so I guess he is trying to pander to the voters. He IS a total douche, and I hope that he loses this fall. If we get stuck with another term of him, I might tear my hair out!

The only thing that surprises me is that only 52% of people disapprove of him. How? I don't know anyone who likes him!

He obviously wants to be reelected this fall and has seen his dismal approval ratings, so I guess he is trying to pander to the voters. He IS a total douche, and I hope that he loses this fall. If we get stuck with another term of him, I might tear my hair out!

The only thing that surprises me is that only 52% of people disapprove of him. How? I don't know anyone who likes him!

:handgestures-fingerscrossed:

I just did this weird happy-dance thing with my hands. You know, when you have no pearls to clutch, and do a little hand-dance, because you're happy. Now that I have use of my hands again: Go PA! :cracking-up:

:handgestures-fingerscrossed:

NJ had voted in gay marriage 3 years ago, then governor Tony Soprano became delusional and thought he had a viable candidacy for VP on the R ticket. He refused to sign it into law, and then came the court case. He was overturned and declined to appeal because he was in the middle of a gubernatorial reelection and the state had been polling 65-70% pro gay marriage consistently. So now the entire Northeastern US has marriage equality with PA on board.

I invite our neighboring state to come join us here at the dark side for the festivities. It's fun.

Born and raised in Altoona right here. This makes me far less ashamed to be from the same state as shit-stain Santorum.

I hope Rick "man on dog" Santorum is fuming. (Former Philly girl here)

I hope Rick "man on dog" Santorum is fuming. (Former Philly girl here)

Santorum hasn't offered any comment since the ruling. I've seen someone suggest that even he realizes that the tide is turning against homophobia.

Archived