IGNORED

This Christians is real persecution!

tankgirl

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/sudan-wo ... 2014-05-14

Amnesty wont mind the traffic.

An 8 month pregnant Sudanese woman is looking at possible death sentence for adultery and apostasy, because she will not recant her Christian faith and her marriage is not recognized because she married a Christian man. No word on if the husband is being charged for anything.

ETA; Daily fail had a piece on it as well, but thought the Amnesty would probably be better, but thought I would add both http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-she.html

I heard this on the news this morning and had the exact same thought. It was followed immediately on NPR by a discussion of the 10th anniversary of gay marriage in Massachusetts and they had a guy from American Family Institute (or something) going on about how he was so persecuted because if spoke out against teh gahze he was labelled as intolerant and racist. I shouted at the radio...

The Sudanese government's human rights record is beyond atrocious, especially in south Sudan and Darfur - slavery, genocide, etc.

Here's another example of what real religious persecution looks like - Iran is digging up the graves of Baha'is, such as then-17 yr old Mona Mahmudnizhad who was executed for the crime of teaching her religion to some children.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commenta ... s_ago.html

The Sudanese government's human rights record is beyond atrocious, especially in south Sudan and Darfur - slavery, genocide, etc.

Here's another example of what real religious persecution looks like - Iran is digging up the graves of Baha'is, such as then-17 yr old Mona Mahmudnizhad who was executed for the crime of teaching her religion to some children.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commenta ... s_ago.html

My friend is a Persian (he hates the term Iranian), living in the US and is heartbroken to see what has become of his country. This sort of thing is just shocking, I hope we can start seeing change, this sort of hate is just terrible.

I also agree this is not the first or worst that the Sudanese government have done. Again it is awful, but hopefully getting attention to these matters might eventually bring change.

What gets me, is she is considered Muslim solely because her father, who abandoned she and her Christian mother when she was 6, was Muslim. The girl was actually raised as a Christian, and married a Christian. (it seems it is perfectly alright for a Muslim man to marry a Christian woman, but not for a Muslim woman to marry a Christian man).

So, is is an apostate, for following the religion of her mother, not the religion of the father that abandoned her. She is considered an adulteress because her husband is Christian, and not Muslim.

NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY FUCKING SENSE!!!! And I swear, the next time I hear some Christian in the US go on about how they are persecuted because the gays, or some other damn dumb thing, I'm going to get slappy.

From the article I read on MSN, she's also facing 100 lashes for the adultery charge. I'm just sick and speechless over how women are treated in some countries.

I'm just sad that it's 2014, and us humans still do this shite. WTF, world?

[snip]a guy from American Family Institute (or something) going on about how he was so persecuted because if spoke out against teh gahze he was labelled as intolerant and racist. I shouted at the radio...

The hypocrisy is strong with that one. It burns.

Christians pretty much rule the US, yet still think they're persecuted. I swear, they need to go take a trip to the middle east. They'll either love the sharia law bullshit (which is as close to living biblically as you can get), or they'll rush home and thank their lucky stars to be in a country where they are on top.

(it seems it is perfectly alright for a Muslim man to marry a Christian woman, but not for a Muslim woman to marry a Christian man).

It is not ideal but it is permissible. Men can marry 'women of the book' because they will be the head of the household and will not have to bow to any rules made by their wives. Women, however, cannot marry outside of Islam because they will be under the headship of their husbands who, if they are not muslim, could command actions that are contrary to Koranic teachings.

But women are totes equal or whatever.

So let me get this straight.... They put her and her 20 month old son in prison where. They are now both suffering due to the conditions. They'll hold them until she gives birth and weans the baby, beat her essentially to death, then hang her. This was reported by her own family... All because she married in a manner they do not recognize?

Amnesty international needs some extraction team or something of the sort to save people from dark age sentences that equate to "you didn't do what I said so shut up and die as an example to others."

I'm generally not in favor of interfering in the laws of sovereign nations but when basic human rights are at risk for bullshit I think it's time for sanctions and possible stronger actions. At some point the world needs to stand up and draw a line in the sand and say "we will not tolerate this bullshit."

Groups like the FRC wouldn't know real persecution if it bit them on the ass.

Part of me is honestly surprised that American Christians don't seem to get as upset over real persecution of Christians by groups like Boko Haram (the ones who kidnapped the Nigerian school girls and who have also attacked a bunch of churches) as they do about things like a gay NFL player.

Can we make that American Fundamentalists instead of American Christians? The 10% or so of fundies don't speak for the majority of Christians in the country. They do seem to have the loudest voices or maybe the ones we concentrate on here.

That's horrible :(

All people who whine about being persecuted because they cant force their religion on other people, or because people who don't follow their religion are allowed to exist should read about things like this, it really puts it in perspective.

I really feel for this woman's suffering and it makes me so mad that people are using religion (namely, Islam) as an excuse to intimidate and torture. If I weren't an atheist, I would pray for her. :fsm:

The worst thing about this whole ordeal is that some Christians are using the Sudanese woman's plight to promote their religion as the "one good, just" religion and to call out Muslims as being "Satan worshippers and agents of the devil". Others are congratulating her for choosing her faith over her well-being and martyring herself for Christ.

Really? So it is true that one person's suffering is another's religious field day.

• 2 months later...

they just showed her on the news here. she and her husband and their children are now in Italy. the prime minister went to meet their plane, and they also showed them meeting with the pope. i'm so glad they are safe, and i hope they get the support they will most definitely need to settle into a new life in a new country.

Archived