IGNORED

Pro-Life Doctors' Practice Restricted in UK

mockingbird

What's really ridiculous is when they make you get the Pap/smear before they give you the pill even if you're using it for bleeding/hormone control instead of actually using it for birth control. Never really understood that one.

Actually, in that case, it's actually a good idea to see a doc. There could be a medical issue (like fibroids, for example, or a variety of other issues including endocrine) that could need to be diagnosed.

(and Pap smear is not equal to pelvic exam).

Actually, in that case, it's actually a good idea to see a doc. There could be a medical issue (like fibroids, for example, or a variety of other issues including endocrine) that could need to be diagnosed.

(and Pap smear is not equal to pelvic exam).

I agree with apple1 here - anything symptomatic should be looked into further than just giving you a prescription, at least at the first appointment to rule anything more serious out. If you just want it for birth control and don't have any symptoms, then I think there's little reason to require a pelvic exam.

I agree with apple1 here - anything symptomatic should be looked into further than just giving you a prescription, at least at the first appointment to rule anything more serious out. If you just want it for birth control and don't have any symptoms, then I think there's little reason to require a pelvic exam.

And I did see a doctor the first time with a full pelvic, pap/smear, ultrasound, blood tests and MRI (to make sure if wasn't cancer). After that didn't find anything wrong I was told to stay on the pill, otherwise I get anemic. But in order to get it from the clinic at school I had to get a pap every year (even if I'd had one from my regular dr within the last year).

And I did see a doctor the first time with a full pelvic, pap/smear, ultrasound, blood tests and MRI (to make sure if wasn't cancer). After that didn't find anything wrong I was told to stay on the pill, otherwise I get anemic. But in order to get it from the clinic at school I had to get a pap every year (even if I'd had one from my regular dr within the last year).

Ahh ok. I understand a lot better now. That's ridiculous especially if you got one through your doctor!

People have bad reactions to all kinds of things that are OTC. What you do is see your doctor for guidance, or avoid products you aren't sure about. I have several medication allergies and more reactions, and it's a hassle to go to a doctor for little things, but I still favor people being able to get this stuff OTC.

My insurance covers anything that's OTC at the prescription rate of $5, or $10 for name-brand, if a doctor writes a prescription for it. This is an incentive to see a doctor before taking something.

Right. All of the contraindications for hormonal birth control are things that can be screened for by the pharmacist, and/ or put on the package insert. You can have bad side effects with one kind or another, but it's not like you're going to know what those will be ahead of time. It's trial and error with your doctor just as much as it is by yourself or with the pharmacist.

Yep, midwest US, had to get it every year before they would renew my prescription, mostly getting it through the university health clinic and PP. At school it was quite obvious they thought I was lying about being sexually active. Although that has changed now that the recommendation is once every three years and I'm going to a really doctor instead of a clinic.

When I went on BC (first in middle school for long periods that made me anemic and then again recently to prevent pregnancy) I didn't need a pelvic exam or Pap smear. Both times, I made an appointment with my GP, discussed my wants/needs, and was prescribed an appropriate BC pill.

When I went on BC (first in middle school for long periods that made me anemic and then again recently to prevent pregnancy) I didn't need a pelvic exam or Pap smear. Both times, I made an appointment with my GP, discussed my wants/needs, and was prescribed an appropriate BC pill.

I had to get pelvic exams before each time I tried BC to regulate my periods back in high school. It was awful. For one of them I was crying but it was either that or keep having crazy periods. The chances of them finding any physiological reasons for my irregular period in a simple pelvic exam were slim to none. Having those as my first experiences with OB-GYNs was terrible, and I was just lucky to have good ones after so I'm okay with exams now.

Looking back it's appalling that I had to go through that, especially as I see that other places recognize that it's not medically necessary.

Archived