IGNORED

Boy kicked out of after school club for wearing dresses

moodygirl86

This story is currently trending on Yahoo news, see linkage.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/playing-dress ... ml#BbHntVp

This happened in my hometown! I'm disappointed as I thought the UK church was a bit more open minded than this. As for "confusing" the other kids, I think it's pretty obvious he's a boy looking at the photos. I agree with his mum about how being the only boy in his family has probably led to his love for dresses. It's no different from a girl like me - with just brothers - being a tomboy. This shouldn't be considered any different. Good on this mum for letting little Romeo be himself.

I'm more astounded at any child having 100 princess dresses and 8 pairs of heels at that age. Overly indulged no matter whether male or female in my view.

His wardrobe is bigger than mine! Good for his family for letting him wear what he wants, and shame on that church. But that many dresses for a growing child? My girls have about 10 dresses each, and I get told that's a lot because they grow, even though there are a lot of hand-me-downs and will get passed on again. And heels? That's the only problem I have with what he's wearing.

True, it does seem a bit excessive! But I notice he's the youngest with quite a big age gap between him and the sisters? Maybe the parents had more spare cash when it came to him, and have built up a dress collection over the years. Or some of them could have been gifts, perhaps even handmade (though she's very talented if that's the case). And yeah, the heels bit made me go "meh". But that's just the walker in me who will stubbornly wear the plainest flats known to man rather than waste my precious cash on the bus.

My youngest has at least 20 princess dresses and more "heels" than I can count, but she has an older sister and 4 older cousins all of whom have handed them down to her. I suspect this is the case with Romeo.

The church is Pentecostal- not C of E so fairly fundie for Britain. In my experience with little children gender differences aren't a big deal with the kids themselves. It's the grown ups who kick up the fuss. There's a little boy in my daughter's class who loves to wear sparkly leggings. The kids couldn't care less, and, luckily because it's that type of school, none of the parents do either.

The little boys in my daughter's daycare put on dresses and act out Frozen all the time. They're kids. They're dressing up. Imagine the backlash if a little girl got kicked out for wearing "boy" clothes?

The church is saying that asking him to wear "boy's clothes" is no different than the school requiring him to wear a uniform. If they want to use this argument it should have been stated in the registration contract. They can't just assign arbitrary rules to one boy because they don't like what he wears.

After reading the article I sound like this boy merely likes playing with his sisters. They play with hair and makeup so he want to too. It sounds the exact same as when a girl grows up with a lot of brothers and likes getting dirty with them. Let the poor kid do what he wants.

The church is saying that asking him to wear "boy's clothes" is no different than the school requiring him to wear a uniform. If they want to use this argument it should have been stated in the registration contract. They can't just assign arbitrary rules to one boy because they don't like what he wears.

After reading the article I sound like this boy merely likes playing with his sisters. They play with hair and makeup so he want to too. It sounds the exact same as when a girl grows up with a lot of brothers and likes getting dirty with them. Let the poor kid do what he wants.

My younger brother used to say "when I grow up I'm going to be a girl!" when he was a preschooler. No gender identity issues, just a boy with only older sisters who got to do stuff he wasn't old enough to do yet. It's too bad the school had to make it such a thing (although they would have been well within their rights IMO to say no heels at school for safety reasons).

My youngest has at least 20 princess dresses and more "heels" than I can count, but she has an older sister and 4 older cousins all of whom have handed them down to her. I suspect this is the case with Romeo.

The church is Pentecostal- not C of E so fairly fundie for Britain. In my experience with little children gender differences aren't a big deal with the kids themselves. It's the grown ups who kick up the fuss. There's a little boy in my daughter's class who loves to wear sparkly leggings. The kids couldn't care less, and, luckily because it's that type of school, none of the parents do either.

re: the bolded, yes - and in the process they teach their little kids the same nasty attitudes...

It's very different. There's no written dress code. This boy was singled out. Are girls kicked out for wearing jeans, which were originally made for men?

Archived