IGNORED

Another Maxwell Boy

anjulibai

I just noticed the quote they used for this post, their italics included:

I usually find their choice in the words italicize rather odd, but it seems they were really making a statement here.

I think they copy their verses, including the italics,straight from the KJV. They have to do with the translation rather than emphasis.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they copy their verses, including the italics,straight from the KJV. They have to do with the translation rather than emphasis.

Interesting. I wonder what the italics mean.

I'm gonna be "that guy" and point out that this couple did NOT find out the gender of their fetus, they found out the SEX of their fetus. They very well could end up with another daughter a few years down the line, even if this fetus has a penis. Though from what I've read about this family (and heck, all fundie families in general) that would never, ever be acknowledged.

Short version: GENDER =/= SEX

I wonder why they wanted to know this time and what the reaction would have been if it was a girl.

Back to names...

Does anyone know Melanie's father's first name? I'd hope they'd consider using it as part of their son's name. Afterall, it really shouldn't be all about Stevie (although I know it usually is).

Roger

I wonder why they wanted to know this time and what the reaction would have been if it was a girl.

Same here!

Same here!

My guess: one picture and not as long of a post.

My guess: one picture and not as long of a post.

Not even a picture. Just a pink square like they did with Ruthanne's coming out into the world.

The reveal party that Nathan and Melanie and the girls had was pretty cute. They look like a nice, normal, happy family.

The reveal party that Nathan and Melanie and the girls had was pretty cute. They look like a nice, normal, happy family.

Yes they do!!

I kinda wished they keep having girls just to get Steve pissed. You can't control what gender the baby will be.

I kinda wished they keep having girls just get Steve pissed. You can't control what gender the baby will be.

Haha!!

I come from a family where girls are plentiful, but boys are rare. I can tell you from personal experience IT FUCKIN SUCKS.

I know it's cruel, but I hope the US is wrong and it comes out a girl. For the sake of those girls :(

I'm gonna be "that guy" and point out that this couple did NOT find out the gender of their fetus, they found out the SEX of their fetus. They very well could end up with another daughter a few years down the line, even if this fetus has a penis. Though from what I've read about this family (and heck, all fundie families in general) that would never, ever be acknowledged.

Short version: GENDER =/= SEX

I'm currently pregnant and this has led to so much tongue biting recently. I have no way of knowing my child's gender, even though I happen to know her sex. I won't likely know my child's gender for a long time. And I am absolutely not having a "gender reveal" party. Ugh!

Interesting. I wonder what the italics mean.

From way back when, I remember hearing that the italics refer to words that aren't literally in the text word for word but were added to make the English translation make sense. Or something like that.

I'm currently pregnant and this has led to so much tongue biting recently. I have no way of knowing my child's gender, even though I happen to know her sex. I won't likely know my child's gender for a long time. And I am absolutely not having a "gender reveal" party. Ugh!

True, gender and sex don't always match up, but this is very rare. In all honesty, if I were pregnant, I wouldn't even think about it, much less worry about it. I mean, your chances of having a gender dysphoric child are pretty low compared to having a child with, say, autism or severe food allergies or (if you're over 40 like me) Down syndrome, or even a child who is gay or lesbian. In the case of Nathan and Melanie, if I were them my main worry would probably be that Susannah Joy's condition was hereditary and that the new baby might have the same problems. (I hope not!)

I have a two year old boy. He loves cars and trucks and Jake and the Neverland Pirates. He also likes Sophia the First and Doc McStuffins and apparently mommy's flowy wrap skirt (which he kept have me wrap around him this afternoon).

Not having a gender that is along the lines of one's sex isn't the same thing as gender identity disorder.

True, gender and sex don't always match up, but this is very rare. In all honesty, if I were pregnant, I wouldn't even think about it, much less worry about it. I mean, your chances of having a gender dysphoric child are pretty low compared to having a child with, say, autism or severe food allergies or (if you're over 40 like me) Down syndrome, or even a child who is gay or lesbian. In the case of Nathan and Melanie, if I were them my main worry would probably be that Susannah Joy's condition was hereditary and that the new baby might have the same problems. (I hope not!)

They knew Susannah had an issue with her heart (or maybe it was her esophagus) before she was born. How much more they knew about her condition (confirmed) they never shared. i'm pretty sure she was a Trisomy 13 or Trisomy 18 and I'm sure the doctors told them what they thought, but whether they did the testing after she was born (or even before), they never said. Those conditions aren't hereditary, but I'm sure after that immense heartbreak, they want to be prepared should it by chance happen again. And ultrasound can detect Trisomy to a certain extent, although amnio detects for sure (and I've been told there is now a less invasive blood test out that has replaced the amnio -- don't know what it's called).

I have to admit, I can never remember which is the correct term to use when referring to the sex of my unborn. I just remind myself that it's the word that fundies can't say!

Yep, that's what I heard too. Which makes for some interesting thoughts about the KJV being inspired by God. How can you cherry pick proof texts the way the Maxwells do when even the printed text shows how many words are 'best fit rather than directly translated?

They knew Susannah had an issue with her heart (or maybe it was her esophagus) before she was born. How much more they knew about her condition (confirmed) they never shared. i'm pretty sure she was a Trisomy 13 or Trisomy 18 and I'm sure the doctors told them what they thought, but whether they did the testing after she was born (or even before), they never said. Those conditions aren't hereditary, but I'm sure after that immense heartbreak, they want to be prepared should it by chance happen again. And ultrasound can detect Trisomy to a certain extent, although amnio detects for sure (and I've been told there is now a less invasive blood test out that has replaced the amnio -- don't know what it's called).

I reread the blogs from just prior to her birth, right around when Christina was born, just to re-catch up on them. I agree with the suspicion of a trisomy, and from what they posted they seemed to have known that she had a condition such as that after she was born. I will give them the only credit I ever give them - they handled that very difficult situation quite gracefully.

When I read the post title I momentarily thought this was a courtship announcement. I was like, "Oh, Steve found a boy crazy enough to move onto the compound, marry one of his daughters, and become a Maxwell!"

After giving it some thought, I think having a son could help steer Nathan in a more positive direction. No matter what Steve says, I get the feeling that Nathan (more so than Christopher) misses sports. He's into fitness; he seemed to really enjoy it when his girls got their first bicycles. This is a man who will want to play ball with his little boy. He also strikes me as the least crazy Maxwell of the bunch. His girls do occasionally participate in non-Steve approved activities with Melanie's family. I can't help but wonder if Nathan will be tempted to take this to the next level with a boy? Sometimes parents have issues involving same-gender children that just don't crop up with opposite-gender children. For example, a woman who was the proverbial wallflower in high school might push her daughter into cheerleading or beauty pageants, whereas this same mom wouldn't even think of doing this type of thing with her son. I can see something similar happening with Nathan and this new little Maxwell. Everything Steve took away from him could come back to haunt him.

I reread the blogs from just prior to her birth, right around when Christina was born, just to re-catch up on them. I agree with the suspicion of a trisomy, and from what they posted they seemed to have known that she had a condition such as that after she was born. I will give them the only credit I ever give them - they handled that very difficult situation quite gracefully.

Yes they did. It was heartbreaking to watch. Of all the ridiculous things their family does and preaches, I wouldn't wish that situation on them (or anyone) ever. It was something they didn't have to share with the world, but they did. Hour by hour, day by day. And if their God gave them comfort through that time, good for them.

When I read the post title I momentarily thought this was a courtship announcement. I was like, "Oh, Steve found a boy crazy enough to move onto the compound, marry one of his daughters, and become a Maxwell!"

Oh, no. It would be really obvious if he had. This site would be busted for a week from all the traffic. :lol:

Archived