IGNORED

Judge Sentences Rapist To Work At Rape Crisis Center

doggie

This is horrible and fails on so many levels. Not only is the female judge victim blaming because the girl was not a virgin. To give this Piece of shit community service at a rape crisis center I mean how can a judge be so stupid? it is hard to believe. Then he does not get any jail time and a pathetic sentence that will wipe out his record if he behaves. well it is texas so that says most of it right there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/0 ... 51116.html

A Texas judge used those words to justify the lighter-than-light sentence she gave to a rapist, telling the Dallas Morning News that the 14-year-old victim had three previous sexual partners and had given birth before the sexual assault.

As a result, Judge Jeanine Howard sentenced Sir Young to just 45 days in jail, 5 years of deferred probation and 250 hours of community service. If Young completes his probation, he will have a chance to wipe the conviction off his record.

The paper reports that the judge asked the victim several times during the trial if she cried during the attack. The girl said she did not, but cried later.

The victim also testified that she only wanted to kiss Young, and had told him "no" and "stop" during the attack.

Young, who pleaded guilty to raping the girl at school in October 2011, was 18 at the time of the attack. Howard said his age and the victim's age were another consideration.

“There are rape cases that deserve life. There are rape cases that deserve 20 years,†Howard told the Dallas Morning News. “Every now and then you have one of those that deserve probation. This is one of those and I stand by it."

Howard initially ordered Young to fulfill his community service at a rape crisis center -- something that didn't sit well with the center.

"We all read it and we're like, wait a minute," Bobbie Villareal, executive director of the Dallas Area Rape Crisis Center told the Dallas Observer.

“It flies in the face of logic," Villareal told the local CBS station. "First of all, in that you would ask someone to do their community supervision for the population that has been directly affected by the exact crime. That’s like saying a pedophile should do their community supervision helping at a pre-school.â€

Can't the center refuse to have him 'volunteer' there? He's been convicted of rape, whose victims this center serves (rape, not this specific rapist). I can't believe they have no say in it, and if a director or manager approved it, they should be tossed out on their ass!

Can't the center refuse to have him 'volunteer' there? He's been convicted of rape, whose victims this center serves (rape, not this specific rapist). I can't believe they have no say in it, and if a director or manager approved it, they should be tossed out on their ass!

that part was changed but the stupidity of the judge doing it in the first place is just hard to believe. The manager said no fucking way to the idiot judge.

Rapes already go unreported because women become re-victimized through the process and are treated as sluts. Now one of the few places that is supposed to be safe for these victims is being infiltrated by a rapist on court orders. Are there any places left that are safe spaces for women?

The rape crisis center does background checks on all their volunteers anyway, and doesn't allow felony convictions. So, yeah.

I imagine the judge's thinking was something like "When he sees how devastated the victims are he'll understand what he did was wrong and never do it again." Never mind that she's revictimizing people in the process. :angry-banghead:

The rape crisis center does background checks on all their volunteers anyway, and doesn't allow felony convictions. So, yeah.

I imagine the judge's thinking was something like "When he sees how devastated the victims are he'll understand what he did was wrong and never do it again." Never mind that she's revictimizing people in the process. :angry-banghead:

Poor abused rapist can't have him suffering much surprised she did not offer him free cab rides to his community service.

*sigh* The whole idea of a rape crisis center is to offer women in need a place of safety where they can begin the healing process and make sense of what has happened to them. Who can do that if a rapist is one of the people 'helping' you? I understand the judge thought the rapist needed to see what these women go through afterwards to help make the severity of his crimes 'click,', but that simply cannot be done at the expense of these suffering women. They have been put through enough, and now they need to suffer again so that a rapist can be "rehabilitated"? I don't think so. These women come FIRST.

On the surface, forcing a rapist to volunteer at a crisis center sounds like a good idea. Force the person to see the aftermath of what rape does. But on the other hand, newly-traumatized women shouldn't have to deal with that. I think it would be better to ask women who've been raped if they are willing to talk to rapists. I'm a statistic, and I am at a point where I would gladly talk to a rapist about the effects it's had on my life to try to get that person to understand why it's wrong and how it hurts people. Don't force/trick unwitting victims still in fresh trauma to do it. Put people like me out there, who are CONSENTING. There's something profoundly wrong with once again removing consent.

What the fuck is this judge thinking by blaming the victim? And sadistically wanting to know if the victim cried at a moment many of us would be in shock?

I don't think this case is a 20-years-to-life case, but 45 days plus probation plus an unservable community service is not even a slap on the wrist. There needs to be enough of a sentence to be a deterrent. 45 days is nothing. Rape should be a minimum of 5 years. We have people jailed longer than that for a few joints of pot. We can jail our rapists at least five years and send the stern message that, not only is it wrong because it hurts the victims, but it comes with a sentence that isn't worth it.

Is it just me, or does the problem of rape seem to be increasing the more rapists aren't even getting slaps on the wrist?

No but, see, the judge says he has to spend the night in jail every year on the anniversary of the rape for as long as he's on probation. :pull-hair: In what world does that equate to an actual jail term?

Yah, because men who rape just need to see how much it hurts their victims. :angry-banghead: Uh, that's why they do it, rape being about power and control, and all.

I don't even want to live on this planet anymore.

Is there any way the judge can be fired over this? Can't someone DO something?

This makes me so furious. Slut shaming a 14 year old who was raped is UNACCEPTABLE. What the everloving fuck.

I don't even want to live on this planet anymore.

Is there any way the judge can be fired over this? Can't someone DO something?

Can't remove a judge for stupid. Hard to remove then period.

There are many things I love about being a Texan. Our politics and politicians are not among those reasons.

The thing is, in Texas, the age of consent can be 14, but only within a three year age range. The guy was 18 at the time, so this victim could not give consent to begin with. :angry-banghead:

The thing is, in Texas, the age of consent can be 14, but only within a three year age range. The guy was 18 at the time, so this victim could not give consent to begin with. :angry-banghead:

right so it does not matter of she had consensual sex with him. but texas as usual.

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

“There are rape cases that deserve life. There are rape cases that deserve 20 years,†Howard told the Dallas Morning News. “Every now and then you have one of those that deserve probation. This is one of those and I stand by it."

Oh god that is horrible. "So sorry, your rape only qualified for probation. Next time, try to get injured!"

I.... don't know how I feel about this. I don't think the oher workers and clients there should have to be around him... BUT, uh... ten bucks says someone at least spits in his lunch.

We never used to see things like this get corrected. but now with so much social media things are changing.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268743/conten ... d=S9j0LFTz

DALLAS (AP) - A Dallas judge's handling of a rape case and her suggestion that the 14-year-old victim was lying has outraged the city's top prosecutor, who said the case makes other victims reluctant to help authorities.

State District Judge Jeanine Howard voluntarily recused herself from the case of 20-year-old Sir Young, who pleaded guilty to raping the girl in 2011. Howard sentenced Young to probation and limited some of the conditions a sex offender might normally receive.

It wasn't just the sentence itself that has sparked criticism. Howard also initially ordered Young to do 250 hours of community service at a rape crisis center. But The Dallas Morning News reported that the Dallas Area Rape Crisis Center does not want him to complete his hours there.

Howard didn't return messages left by The Associated Press on Monday, but she told the newspaper last week that she questioned the veracity of the teen's story. She also said she never intended for Young to work with rape victims and thought he could mop floors, mow the lawn or cook.

Dallas County District Attorney Craig Watkins, in an interview Monday with the AP, said his prosecutors would ask the new judge to order a review of Young's probation and possibly tighten the conditions.

Watkins said he was concerned about the potential "that rape victims may not come forward" due to the case.

"The judge basically blamed the victim for what happened to her," he said, adding: "In this case, when a victim comes forward and the person that they put their trust in - the judge - calls into question their credibility ... does a disservice to our ability as prosecutors."

Archived