IGNORED

SC Republican wants to end public schools

doggie

A: your a stupid idiot

B; Not everyone is Christian (I know a surprise)

c: we all know education kills religion so you are afraid)

d: quit trying to force you religion on the world.

E: you failed any logic test and should not be running for a government office.

F; Fuck off and die asshole christian.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/25/s ... education/

A Republican candidate for South Carolina lieutenant governor wants to replace public schooling with church-run schools, but he admits it would be a difficult process that could take years.

Ray Moore, a retired Army Reserves chaplain and president of Frontline Ministries, sketched out his plan for dismantling public education in the U.S. on Wednesday’s edition of The Janet Mefferd Show.

He has encouraged Christian families to withdraw their children from public schools and educate them at home or enroll them in religious schools, and he believes the tipping point would occur at about 25 percent to 35 percent of the total K-12 population.

“Then the states would then negotiate, perhaps taking out of their constitution platform, or the provision, that says the state had to provide education, and it would gradually be handed over to churches, families, and private associations,†Moore said. “That’s the way it was for the first 200 years of American history.â€

He said non-religious schools, which he has called “the Pharaoh’s schools,†posed an existential threat to Christians.

Moore has previously claimed that 40 percent of public school students turn away from the church by the end of elementary school and 80 percent by the end of high school.

Has this man never heard of a one-room school house? No, people were being educated together in public schools for much of this nation's history.

Wasn't that something Jerry Falwell encouraged as well? ISTR him saying that he envisioned a time when "public schools will close and Christians will be running them."

I think there is a concentrated effort to destroy public education in the United States, especially in the South. All of the public schools in New Orleans, for example, have been privatized. In the past, conservative Protestant Southern whites were for public schools, because they were totally in charge of the narrative of what was taught. Now that their cultural hegemony is challenged, they don't want to play anymore and think that public schools must be destroyed.

I think there is a concentrated effort to destroy public education in the United States, especially in the South. All of the public schools in New Orleans, for example, have been privatized. In the past, conservative Protestant Southern whites were for public schools, because they were totally in charge of the narrative of what was taught. Now that their cultural hegemony is challenged, they don't want to play anymore and think that public schools must be destroyed.

I see this in Kansas, as well

The Kansas Supreme Court on Friday ruled the state's funding of public schools to be unconstitutional, a declaration likely to have effects beyond the state's borders.

The decision ordered the immediate reversal of recent education cuts, but told a lower court to reconsider the potential $1 billion question of whether Kansas provides enough education funding to adequately prepare students for the future.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/0 ... 21870.html we used to have pretty good schools, until the fundies took over politics of the state.

Salex, Ohio school funding had been declared unconstitutional several times in the past, but nothing has been done about it. I can see Kansas using it to do something crazy, though- and I'm surprised Kasich hasn't done anything yet. Maybe if he gets a second term?

The less educated the masses, the more they will be lead around like lemmings. Just look at the tea baggers. Most are lead around by the nose, and a lot of them are un-educated or under educated. Critical thinking skills are sorely lacking. And that is what a lot of these wing nuts want. If you don't have critical thinking skills, you can be lead around by the nose.

Moore is an asshole. I don't think he stands much of a chance winning the primary (thank god) but if he does, I worry about how the office of aging is going to be run. He seems more concerned about shit he doesn't need to worry about.

Is he going to pay or help out families who pull their kids out of school? Or enroll them in Christian schools? Btw not everyone is christian or wants a "Christian" education. Quite honestly there are things wrong with the public school system. But not all public schools are bad or evil. Some do really well. It's not a one size fits all.

If I was a poor parent, I would be content with my kid going to the shittiest public school ever than my kid being completely denied an education. At least there'd be a chance that they'd learn something and pick up basic reading, writing and math. If I'm working two jobs I'm not going to have time for that.

South Caroline actually repealed its compulsory education laws in the late 50s after the Brown v Board of Education decision by the Supreme Court. Better to have little white kids uneducated that to have them going to school with black children. (We shut down the swimming areas in the state parks, too.) Eventually they realized the repeal was stupid. We still manage to underfund the schools in the Corridor of Shame, those majority African-American districts along I-95.

I agree with Celtic Goddess that Ray Moore is an asshole.

elementary school students turn away from the church? like they really have critical thinking skills at that age? what a bunch of made up crock.

I think that's a fantastic idea! I've always wanted to visit the middle ages. Between the anti-vaxxers, the fundies and now this, I can give up on trying to build my own Tardis, and just wait a while. And then visit the US. With the plague and the complete lack of education, plus the religious devotion, it'll be the best re-enactment evah! Thank you for making one woman's humble dream come true! Off to find someone to give me the plague-vaccine!

On a serious note: :roll: :roll: :(

ha,I wonder if the fundies would be willing to give up the internet,I mean hey,if we're going back to the dark ages and all...

Yeah, a country full of dumb shits who couldn't think their way out of a box. Just what we need. The minute public school is dismantled, I'm leaving for a sane country. We already have a higher crime rate than most of the rest of the western world. This place will be unlivable if we have an entire population of idiots running around.

elementary school students turn away from the church? like they really have critical thinking skills at that age? what a bunch of made up crock.

These are the same people who think that a 5 year old can make the conscious decision to accept Christ, so they probably believe the "statistic"

Moore has previously claimed that 40 percent of public school students turn away from the church by the end of elementary school and 80 percent by the end of high school.

If this was true, all it means is faith really is brainwashing.

What the hell parallel universe does he live in where public schools took 200 years to form? I forget exactly when they did, but I know the bicentennial was back i the 1970s, and by then public schools had been around for... A hundred years? 7 decades, at least.

What the hell parallel universe does he live in where public schools took 200 years to form? I forget exactly when they did, but I know the bicentennial was back i the 1970s, and by then public schools had been around for... A hundred years? 7 decades, at least.

If they're counting back to colonial days, it would be around 400 years... and what we consider an adequate education NOW vs back then is not even in the same ballpark.

If this happens, they'll have to stand back and prepare to be invaded by the Canadians. They'll be sitting in their True Christine [tm][/tm] bunkers with their pump action shot guns as educated Canadians, sitting in their hi tech living rooms, rain smart bombs down around them. I, for one, will welcome our educated overlords.

Archived