IGNORED

All that needs to be said about gay marriage.

doggie

According to fundies Gay people are going to hell. It's a sin, God created Adam and Eve blah blah blah. I guess they all sat down with coffee with God and God personally told them he hates Gay people :naughty: It's funny how some Christians are so quick to judge others when their own backyard isn't clean. The bible says love your neighbors which includes Gay people and not to judge. Homosexuality needs to be legal in all 50 states.

According to my fundie friend, it is against the bible to stand by and condone sin. That itself is a sin. To even not take a stand at all is wrong. So you must always fight for Gods laws to be implemented. Plus fundies believe the gays will somehow destroy families and that will destroy America.

I greatly discouraged by the fact that the gay rights movement is 40 or 50 years old, and they STILL don't have legal rights.

I greatly discouraged by the fact that the gay rights movement is 40 or 50 years old, and they STILL don't have legal rights.

Except when you think about it, it's amazing how far things have come in those 40 or 50 years. In the US, being gay is no longer criminalized, many states have made marriage legal and same-sex marriages are happening in military chapels all over the country. Even many of the most conservative groups acknowledge that gay marriage being legal in all the states is pretty much inevitable.

When you compare that to the civil rights movement or the sufferage movement and how slowly things happened, it's really quite amazing.

Slightly OT, my husband and I were talking about how fast this has happened and I had the thought that maybe it's because people knew, liked and respected tons of gay people before they knew they were gay - something that you couldn't say about not knowing someone was black or a woman. When you've already decided that your family member, neighbor or co-worker is a great person and then later find out they are gay, you have to either reject your own prior judgement of them or decide that their being gay doesn't define them.

If you're prejudiced against minorities or women, you meet people with those judgements firmly in place and it colors all of your interactions from the beginning. Anyway, just a thought....

How fast did it take mainstream to accept homosexuals? I'm trying to gauge how many years its going to take for mainstream thought to accept asexuals, and then aromantics. Te majority still don't even know we exist. I just... REALLY want it to happen on my lifetime.

Hmm, let's think. Here's my agenda for one day this week:

1. Wake up, get ready, breakfast

2. Class

3. Study

4. Job interview

5. Lunch

6. Class

7. Destroy a straight marriage

8. Go to IKEA and the mall

9. Homework

10. Cuddle wife

11. Sleep.

According to my fundie friend, it is against the bible to stand by and condone sin. That itself is a sin. To even not take a stand at all is wrong. So you must always fight for Gods laws to be implemented. Plus fundies believe the gays will somehow destroy families and that will destroy America.

of course they seem to focus on the sex based sins and are not stoning and selling daughters into slavery and such. so what should be done to them when they are not enforcing all of gods laws are they not promoting sin then? logic can't work with a fundy.

just like we are against abortion and birth control but more then willing to let children starve to because their parents are not allowed to use birth control got is going to be pushed with fundies

2. Class

3. Study

4. Job interview

5. Lunch

6. Class

9. Homework

10. Cuddle wife

11. Sleep.

What, you didn't schedule time to convert some poor unsuspectig fundie to the homosexual "lifestyle"? Give back your toaster an re-read the manual!

JK, of course. I have heard, so many times, about how our goal is to take over the work by converting. I am still trying to figure that one out, and the whole "lifestyle" thing too!

Dear fundie, this year...

5 millions of homeless die in the street...

120 americans die of starvation...

... and 250 000 people die of starvation in the world each day

4 children die every day as a results of child abuse...

32 millions of adults don't know how to read (1 adults on 7)...

And your highest priority is gay marriage ?

2. Class

3. Study

4. Job interview

5. Lunch

6. Class

9. Homework

10. Cuddle wife

11. Sleep.

Wow, you have a really busy life. All I planned on doing today was working and sleeping. Oh and the movie theater. But normally it's just work and sleep.

I'm only asexual though, but according to some Christians I still get to destroy straight marriages.

I am a committed Christian from a fundie-lite background, and I can tell you that the fundies I know get so worked up about gay marriage that it drives me insane. The flack I have gotten on FB for even being sympathetic towards gay rights is un.believable. What makes me a Christian is my love for Jesus and others. NOT my stance on gay marriage. I hate when Christians (fundies or not) make it seem that if you don't oppose gay marriage, you are either a new Christian or are rebellious against God. Some people's priorities are so skewed.

I am a committed Christian from a fundie-lite background, and I can tell you that the fundies I know get so worked up about gay marriage that it drives me insane. The flack I have gotten on FB for even being sympathetic towards gay rights is un.believable. What makes me a Christian is my love for Jesus and others. NOT my stance on gay marriage. I hate when Christians (fundies or not) make it seem that if you don't oppose gay marriage, you are either a new Christian or are rebellious against God. Some people's priorities are so skewed.

How did it happen that the most important rules in a religious organization are the things one must oppose? Why is it all about weapons and destruction? If there is deity, why would s/he encourage us to destroy one another? Or do a lot of humans just use diety as an excuse?

Conservatives think that gay marriage threatens straight marriage, because they think that LGBT people have a different view of marriage. They think that all LGBT people are "monogamish" like Dan Savage, and that monogamishness (?) will be the default definition of marriage if gay marriage becomes the law of the land. If everyone is monogamish, then families will be even more broken than they already are. However, this view assumes that LGBT people are in fact monogamish, and that doesn't seem to be true. Within every population, some individuals will be more sexually adventurous than others, while others will be more domestic and family-oritented. Dan Savage represents Dan Savage and no one else. Besides, none of us have to think too hard to come up with examples of monogamish straight people.

ETA This is one of Rod Dreher's arguments against gay marriage. I suspect that most fundies just go for the "Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" line of reasoning, along with the "ick" factor.

How did it happen that the most important rules in a religious organization are the things one must oppose? Why is it all about weapons and destruction? If there is deity, why would s/he encourage us to destroy one another? Or do a lot of humans just use diety as an excuse?

Tbh, it makes me so. incredibly. sad that people make Christianity about trules when it is supposed to be about relationship, both between you and God, and between you and others. From my understanding of God and the Bible. God is love, but he is the first to condemn pride, hypocrisy, etc. Nowhere is there a commandment to destroy each other. We are to love God, and love our neighbor as ourselves. That's it. This is what makes me so sad about fundies. They think Christianity is a bunch of rules, with a mean God waiting to punish you if you put a toe out of line, and that's why they use God to justify being cruel and bigoted. Their thought process is so twisted.

Conservatives think that gay marriage threatens straight marriage, because they think that LGBT people have a different view of marriage. They think that all LGBT people are "monogamish" like Dan Savage, and that monogamishness (?) will be the default definition of marriage if gay marriage becomes the law of the land. If everyone is monogamish, then families will be even more broken than they already are. However, this view assumes that LGBT people are in fact monogamish, and that doesn't seem to be true. Within every population, some individuals will be more sexually adventurous than others, while others will be more domestic and family-oritented. Dan Savage represents Dan Savage and no one else. Besides, none of us have to think too hard to come up with examples of monogamish straight people.

ETA This is one of Rod Dreher's arguments against gay marriage. I suspect that most fundies just go for the "Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" line of reasoning, along with the "ick" factor.

The reasoning I was raised in was that gay marriage is a perversion of God's original design for marriage. The garden of Eden was the ideal state of the world and mankind, and anything that differs from that is evil. So, they see that Adam and Eve were one man, one woman in the garden and therefore, that is perfection. Now, to be clear, the Bible does not condone homosexualtuy, but it also does not condone lying, cheating, stealing, greed, hypocrisy, etc., and furthermore, Christians are told that only God will judge, and our job is to simply love others. It takes some serious mental gymnastics to get around that, which is why patriarchy + fundamentalism confuses the life out of me.

Wow, you have a really busy life. All I planned on doing today was working and sleeping. Oh and the movie theater. But normally it's just work and sleep.

I'm only asexual though, but according to some Christians I still get to destroy straight marriages.

I'm curious about this. Has anyone given you a reason why they think being asexual would be a threat to straight marriages?

The reasoning I was raised in was that gay marriage is a perversion of God's original design for marriage. The garden of Eden was the ideal state of the world and mankind, and anything that differs from that is evil. So, they see that Adam and Eve were one man, one woman in the garden and therefore, that is perfection. Now, to be clear, the Bible does not condone homosexualtuy, but it also does not condone lying, cheating, stealing, greed, hypocrisy, etc., and furthermore, Christians are told that only God will judge, and our job is to simply love others. It takes some serious mental gymnastics to get around that, which is why patriarchy + fundamentalism confuses the life out of me.

If the garden of Eden was ideal then it's time for us all to become vegetarian nudists!

If the garden of Eden was ideal then it's time for us all to become vegetarian nudists!

Haha I know! That's why in order to say that you're a Biblical literalist, you can't wear clothes, can't eat meat, etc. if someone says they take the Bible literally, and they are clothed, they obviously don't understand what that phrase means. :lol:

I'm on a new diet and I could easily be angry at someone eating a doughnut in my face today. :evil-eye:

When I was developing knowledge of sexuality as a pre-teen Christian, my parents were both silent on the subject as was my church. So, I grew up with the attitude of "Live and let live". I think that if an authority figure had tried to discuss the gay vs. straight issue with me, I would have stood up and walked away. I've always believed in personal freedoms as one of the basic tenets of how America was colonized, and what we actually should represent as a country.

In a paper I wrote for a journal at my law school, I used this (old, but still good) source when addressing opposition to same-sex marriage. It was called "Same-Sex Marriage, Slippery Slope Rhetoric, and the Politics of Disgust." Basically, that disgust about same-sex sexual acts is a huge part of political and religious opposition to equal rights, and the deeper the disgust, the deeper the opposition. Really explains a lot about why fundies are so opposed, I think.

So divorce is okay,sex before marriage is ok, honoring another God is okay, bitterness is okay,adultery is okay. I will admit I had a hard time accepting homosexuality. I had hate in my heart against them. I thought it was disgusting. My friend invited me to her wedding and I didn't attend because she is gay and I wouldn't support her lifestyle. But overtime I learned to accept homosexuality. I don't understand why some people think they're destroying America, if anything it's the other way around. I don't understand fundies or some people who don't like gay people. You don't have to support it but you shouldn't bash it either. It's funny how some people can have their rights and have the freedom of doing what they like but gay people can't :angry-banghead:

2. Class

3. Study

4. Job interview

5. Lunch

6. Class

9. Homework

10. Cuddle wife

11. Sleep.

:lol:

Dear fundie, this year...

5 millions of homeless die in the street...

120 americans die of starvation...

... and 250 000 people die of starvation in the world each day

4 children die every day as a results of child abuse...

32 millions of adults don't know how to read (1 adults on 7)...

And your highest priority is gay marriage ?

Don't forget birth control and abortion. Again things that don't matter.

2. Class

3. Study

4. Job interview

5. Lunch

6. Class

9. Homework

10. Cuddle wife

11. Sleep.

Hey this is my agenda, except sub in Take kids to school, pick up ,coach softball. :lol:

Archived