IGNORED

Candace Cameron Bure on DWTS: Save us from crusading fundies

Rainytown

I hope I've posted this in the right place.

Candace Cameron Bure, who hasn't been on your teevee for the past twenty years, is on Dancing With The Stars this season. Of course, this is seen as a wonderful opportunity to tout her faith and her "modesty", which she's mentioned prominently during the past two episodes. I'm sure you'll all remember the magic that is her brother Kirk and his "more conservative than the Duggars" schtick.

Ms. Cameron Bure was asked to do a rumba last night with her partner. A one line description of a rumba is "the vertical expression of a horizontal wish". It's sensual. Of course it was time for a sermonette about her Christianity and how important it was that "some things" are kept for her husband. And her point?

Am I the only one who is absolutely sick and tired of fundies who choose to appear on a show like Dancing With The Stars to preach to the rest of us? Don't like the costumes, the music or the dance? DON'T APPEAR! The rest of us would like to enjoy a little relaxation without dealing with yet another fundie who wants to beat us over the head with her "faith". Again.

GRRRRR.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many of my college friends are just 'soooooo excited' (eye roll) that she's on this season. I haven't seen them since the cast was announced, but I do plan on asking them when I see them about the 'submission even to the detriment of the family' response.

She actually has been on tv recently. She played a character on Make it or Break it. Her character was a preachy Christian. Surprised?

I can't wait to see if they cover this on The People's Couch which is about a small groups of people watching TV and their reactions as they watch. There's a lesbian couple (and their Chihuahuas), some gay guys, some elderly Jewish ladies, a white family (they seem ethnic though, not too white bread) and a black family. It's funny to see their reactions.

I can't wait to see if they cover this on The People's Couch which is about a small groups of people watching TV and their reactions as they watch. There's a lesbian couple (and their Chihuahuas), some gay guys, some elderly Jewish ladies, a white family (they seem ethnic though, not too white bread) and a black family. It's funny to see their reactions.

That's what I'm waiting for as well.

I wonder how hard it is for her dance partner to not roll his eyes in front of the cameras. Because I sure as shit was grinding my eyeballs into the top of my skull every time she opened her mouth.

Marie Osmond wore attractive yet modest costumes on DWTS. Did she also get all preachy about her religion? I don't remember hearing about it.

I can only guess that the woman is an idiot. I've never seen one episode of DWTS and I know exactly what kind of dancing and costuming appears on it. How could she have not known that she'd have to perform rumba/salsa/samba/etc.? How could she have not known that the costumes (especially those of the women) are some what to very revealing? I have no tolerance for people who agree to do things that quite obviously go against their beliefs and then choose to complain about it. She had the option of turning down the invite to join the show. The audience shouldn't have to listen to her preachy whining when she's asked to do something she knew she'd be asked to do. Take your persecution complex somewhere else sweetheart. You aren't getting any sympathy from me.

Well she can't be more conservative than the Duggars if she dances. Dancing is evil satan movement. What's next? Real wine and not grape juice? The shame!

I actually want her to stay on, because I want there to be TV footage of her doing the sultry Latin dances. And then every time she goes on her "Holier Than Thou" soapbox, someone can just post a link to them.

I do not watch this show because their definition of what constitutes a star has me :think: . Anyway, I was reading that she is overruling her dance partner over certain things like attire. Great, she is all for being modest, and if that is how she wants to roll, whatever, but now she gets to tell the professional how to dress as well? Typical Cameron, telling everyone how to act. Heck, she might be pandering for votes.

I have no idea why she would want to be on this show anyway. It goes against her belief system in regards modesty, but I guess some people will do anything for a paycheck, eh?

Marie Osmond wore attractive yet modest costumes on DWTS. Did she also get all preachy about her religion? I don't remember hearing about it.

I don't think Marie did so about her religion. Also I'm not sure if she is still a practicing Mormon. I could be wrong though.

I have a feeling this will be a bit like when Bristol Palin was on- no talent, or will vastly minimize the sexuality of certain dances (and will be docked by the judges for doing so), but will be voted through by her fans for 'standing by her principles.' Unless they've changed how the scoring goes since Palin was on?

The dances last night were selected by the "stars" so she picked the rumba.

She wouldn't let her partner have his shirt unbuttoned but she wore a fully sheer skirt over a leotard bottom.

She's far from being more conservative than the Duggars.

I don't think Marie did so about her religion. Also I'm not sure if she is still a practicing Mormon. I could be wrong though.

As far as I know, Marie is still very much a practicing Mormon, but she's never been one to go all Kirk-and-Candace about it. If I recall correctly--as a huge Osmond fan from back when I was a kid in the dark ages of the early 70s--the whole family has always been open but mostly very un-preachy about their beliefs (although they did do one album based on their religion, come to think of it. It tanked, I believe).

I only ever watched one episode of DWTS, the one where Donny Osmond won a a matter of fact, but I may have to try to catch a couple episodes with Candace just for the snark potential.

I'd much rather watch Paralympian Amy Purdy dance than a sanctimonious twit like Candace Bure.

This is terrible, but the one dress I remember was the dress that Marie wore the night she fainted on TV. It was cute and very modest. She even managed to maintain her modesty while fainting. Props to Marie Osmond! (Also an Osmond family fan)

I have a feeling this will be a bit like when Bristol Palin was on- no talent, or will vastly minimize the sexuality of certain dances (and will be docked by the judges for doing so), but will be voted through by her fans for 'standing by her principles.' Unless they've changed how the scoring goes since Palin was on?

If I'm not mistaken I do believe DWTS did change its scoring process because Sarah Palin's teabagger base kept untalented ass Bristol on the show long after she wore out her welcome.

And isn't Real Housewife of Atlanta NeNe Leakes on this season? I hope she steals Candace's lunch money and makes her cry. The eye-rolling alone from NeNe will be epic.

I was about to post about NeNe. She's very open about supporting herself and her son as a stripper in the days after she left her abusive first husband. NeNe has no shame about it at nor should she!

I also want to see Danica McKellar do well. She is wicked smart and has written several books to help teenage girls get over their math anxiety. Danica helped develop a math theorem that bears her name (Chayes-McKellar-Winn theorem) and has a Erdos-Bacon number of 6, the same as the late Carl Sagan.

As far as I know, Marie is still very much a practicing Mormon, but she's never been one to go all Kirk-and-Candace about it. If I recall correctly--as a huge Osmond fan from back when I was a kid in the dark ages of the early 70s--the whole family has always been open but mostly very un-preachy about their beliefs (although they did do one album based on their religion, come to think of it. It tanked, I believe).

I only ever watched one episode of DWTS, the one where Donny Osmond won a a matter of fact, but I may have to try to catch a couple episodes with Candace just for the snark potential.

Thanks for the info about Marie. I know the rest of the siblings r a little vocal about their believes then she is.

I wishCandance would shut up. So her being modest makes her better than the other contestants? I use to like her when she was full house but now I think she's full of herself.

I was about to post about NeNe. She's very open about supporting herself and her son as a stripper in the days after she left her abusive first husband. NeNe has no shame about it at nor should she!

I also want to see Danica McKellar do well. She is wicked smart and has written several books to help teenage girls get over their math anxiety. Danica helped develop a math theorem that bears her name (Chayes-McKellar-Winn theorem) and has a Erdos-Bacon number of 6, the same as the late Carl Sagan.

I'm also rooting for Danica.

I wishCandance would shut up. So her being modest makes her better than the other contestants? I use to like her when she was full house but now I think she's full of herself.

I too use to like both Candance & her brother. I think she came to religion a few years after he brother. Like after Full House was over while her brother's was during run of Growing Pains.

She actually has been on tv recently. She played a character on Make it or Break it. Her character was a preachy Christian. Surprised?

Her character was the most frustrating part of that show for me. She was all wrong for both of the men she dated in it.

Archived