IGNORED

Candace Cameron Bure on DWTS: Save us from crusading fundies

Rainytown

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well she can't be more conservative than the Duggars if she dances. Dancing is evil satan movement. What's next? Real wine and not grape juice? The shame!

I actually want her to stay on, because I want there to be TV footage of her doing the sultry Latin dances. And then every time she goes on her "Holier Than Thou" soapbox, someone can just post a link to them.

Some of them justify doing stuff they're against if they can use it to spread the word, like as long as you bring more people, it somehow makes what you see as immoral moral.

As far as I know, Marie is still very much a practicing Mormon, but she's never been one to go all Kirk-and-Candace about it. If I recall correctly--as a huge Osmond fan from back when I was a kid in the dark ages of the early 70s--the whole family has always been open but mostly very un-preachy about their beliefs (although they did do one album based on their religion, come to think of it. It tanked, I believe).

I only ever watched one episode of DWTS, the one where Donny Osmond won a a matter of fact, but I may have to try to catch a couple episodes with Candace just for the snark potential.

Didn't Marie have some trouble getting help for her severe postpartum depression? Her family was there, but I vaguely recall hearing something about how the church didn't back anything. The Osmonds tried to keep it somewhat private for Marie's sake.

I too use to like both Candance & her brother. I think she came to religion a few years after he brother. Like after Full House was over while her brother's was during run of Growing Pains.

I remember when all the shit was going down during Growing Pains. The show did a great job keeping things smooth when Tracy Gould had to take off for her anorexia, but Kirk's behavior is what resulted in the show ending. It got so bad that not a single person from the entire show, whether actors, crew, anything, was at his wedding to the woman who played Kate, even though it happened before the show was over. I don't know if he invited no one, or if no one bothered.

Candace became a Christian in her 20's, after the show ended.

How strange that of the main kids on that show, one of the Olsens is living the most normal life now. Ashley is a businesswoman who is hands-on in what she does while Mary Kate is in business only unofficially. Jodie Sweden has had tons of problems, a string of failed marriages, drug problems, and I think it's sad because she seems to want help, but isn't having success. All three of them are more sane than holier-than-thou Candace.

Marie Osmond is a class act; so was her dear departed mother. Marie is a real woman who can think for herself and learn. By comparison, CC is a cartoon cut-out of a woman who wouldn't know a real emotion if it hit her on the face. Yes, it is my understanding that Marie is still a Mormon but she has come out in defense of gay rights and has disagreed with Church doctrine when it was indicated. She has been through so much and I really admire her, especially in light of how many of her contemporaries in the music business didn't make it. As for CC, I'm thinking she's playing the role of the perfect Christian wife and mother. I agree with what others have said here; it's nauseating and is inspirational to no one.

Thanks for the info about Marie. I know the rest of the siblings r a little vocal about their believes then she is.

I heard that ballroom dancing is actually quite popular among Mormons. DWTS pro Derek Hough is a Mormon, as is his sister Julianne, who used to be one of the pros. Other Mormons who used to be DWTS pros are Chelsea Hightower and Lacey Schwimmer, who was Chaz Bono's pro when he appeared on the show.

I remember when all the shit was going down during Growing Pains. The show did a great job keeping things smooth when Tracy Gould had to take off for her anorexia, but Kirk's behavior is what resulted in the show ending. It got so bad that not a single person from the entire show, whether actors, crew, anything, was at his wedding to the woman who played Kate, even though it happened before the show was over. I don't know if he invited no one, or if no one bothered.

Candace became a Christian in her 20's, after the show ended.

How strange that of the main kids on that show, one of the Olsens is living the most normal life now. Ashley is a businesswoman who is hands-on in what she does while Mary Kate is in business only unofficially. Jodie Sweden has had tons of problems, a string of failed marriages, drug problems, and I think it's sad because she seems to want help, but isn't having success. All three of them are more sane than holier-than-thou Candace.

Interesting perspective. I think u r right w/ Kirk & Growing Pains. The funny part is when the show started he was the most level headed of all 3 kid actors (had been acting for a few years before the show). His change from who he was to a über Christian was in like a 3/4 month span. & it completely threw the whole cast & crew of the show for a loop.

I heard that ballroom dancing is actually quite popular among Mormons. DWTS pro Derek Hough is a Mormon, as is his sister Julianne, who used to be one of the pros. Other Mormons who used to be DWTS pros are Chelsea Hightower and Lacey Schwimmer, who was Chaz Bono's pro when he appeared on the show.

I've noticed this as well. I've heard a lot about BYU's ballroom dancing team, and at every Mormon wedding I've ever been to there were several couples who had been on some dance team who were cutting a rug (and quite good at it!). I think classic partner dancing (jitterbug, waltz) plays into the LDS church's emphasis on vintage, all-American hobbies and traditional male/female interactions (I don't know what they do about the rumba and tango though).

Thanks for the info about Marie. I know the rest of the siblings r a little vocal about their believes then she is.

That's what I have heard as well. Donny and Marie don't get all preachy about their religion yet they don't shy away from acknowledging that they are Mormon and their faith when asked. The other sibs have been more vocal but IIRC "not hit everyone over the head" type vocal. I am guessing both Donny and Marie know to be a bit more quiet about it because of their careers. They don't compromise such as Marie wearing more modest clothing, but they just know they play to a more diverse audience than just like-minded Mormons and also not everyone goes for all the preachy stuff.

It will be interesting to see how they edit the conflict between CCB and the many outspoken gay rights people on the cast. Kirk's views on gay rights are loud and clear, and she hasn't really said exactly what her position is. I can see them making it all kumbaya and everyone gets along. Or, I can see it looking like one side or the other is getting bullied. I'm guessing she was cast just to cause this conflict, and that will keep her in for a while.

That's what I have heard as well. Donny and Marie don't get all preachy about their religion yet they don't shy away from acknowledging that they are Mormon and their faith when asked. The other sibs have been more vocal but IIRC "not hit everyone over the head" type vocal. I am guessing both Donny and Marie know to be a bit more quiet about it because of their careers. They don't compromise such as Marie wearing more modest clothing, but they just know they play to a more diverse audience than just like-minded Mormons and also not everyone goes for all the preachy stuff.

I'm not Mormon, but my understanding is that the Osmonds have been like this a long time, like Donny didn't cut his hair and go on a mission. Even I've seen Marie on TV obviously without her magic underwear. There's all kinds of stuff, like all the divorces and marriages and re-marriages that may or may not be supported by the church. Even Mormons are confused about it. And now that they support gay marriage, they probably aren't the most popular Mormons.

I'm not Mormon, but my understanding is that the Osmonds have been like this a long time, like Donny didn't cut his hair and go on a mission. Even I've seen Marie on TV obviously without her magic underwear. There's all kinds of stuff, like all the divorces and marriages and re-marriages that may or may not be supported by the church. Even Mormons are confused about it. And now that they support gay marriage, they probably aren't the most popular Mormons.

I remember some discussion about this back in the 70s. It was apparently felt by the Mormon Church that the Osmonds' career itself was a 'mission' of sorts, so they exempted the boys from doing the usual 2-year mission.

You are right. Thinking about it now that I know more about Mormonism, they are pretty "liberal" for Mormons and yes, there's plenty of times where Marie appeared and would not be wearing the garments. I have wondered too how regular Mormons view them but maybe they get a bit of a pass because of their fame.

Not to get OT, but Marie did remarry her first husband a couple of years ago so wonder if that remarriage would be considered more "OK" as she was probably sealed to him in the first wedding. Wonder how Mormons treat something like that. I don't want to digress but am rather curious.

I think only Marie has come out for gay marriage - Donny is still sticking to his Mormon beliefs but with the waiver "it's not for me to judge" as far as I know.

Marie did marry her first husband in a Temple, so the church must've been okay with it (their remarriage was also in a temple).

She actually has been on tv recently. She played a character on Make it or Break it. Her character was a preachy Christian. Surprised?

A very preachy Christian who was very purposefully NOT fucking a very, very sexy man. Tragic, really.

Guest LilaFowler

A very preachy Christian who was very purposefully NOT fucking a very, very sexy man. Tragic, really.

LOL I watched that, and I was pleasantly surprised that she actually agreed to kiss the actor playing her love interest, given her beliefs.

I remember some discussion about this back in the 70s. It was apparently felt by the Mormon Church that the Osmonds' career itself was a 'mission' of sorts, so they exempted the boys from doing the usual 2-year mission.

I heard that too. But I think some of the older osmond brothers. (Alan & maybe Wayne did go on missions). But I could be wrong. When Donnie was mission age it was the hight of their fame so he didn't go on one.

For being so modest, she sure still dresses not so modest. I think it was during her first dance, there was an overhead shot of her laying down with her legs spread. Not so modest, eh?

I heard that too. But I think some of the older osmond brothers. (Alan & maybe Wayne did go on missions). But I could be wrong. When Donnie was mission age it was the hight of their fame so he didn't go on one.

:) That's possible, yes--or maybe the two oldest ones, Tommy and Virl? They weren't involved with the singing as they both have some hearing issues. One is deaf, the other partially so, I think. So I'm guessing they probably went on missions.

ETA: With all this Osmond talk, I've been humming "I'm a little bit country..." all day. :laughing-rolling:

Candace actually hasn't been as bad as I thought she'd be, preachy-wise. I rolled my eyes when she vetoed Mark having his shirt off, but at the same time I was grateful because I don't want to see that man-child shirtless. :lol: I'm sure the producers made a big deal to her that it would all be okay, and I'm sure they ask her about her religion a lot. Anything to get headlines! I can't stand the woman, but I'm trying hard to judge her just on her dancing, which is pretty good for someone with zero experience. She's certainly not nearly as joyless as Bristol was.

I'm dying to see if Kirk will show up in the audience. It's pretty hard to so be anti-gay and enjoy ballroom dancing, seeing as plenty of male pros are indeed gay. He'll probably bring Ray Comfort along so they can count how many times each man gyrates his hips. Not 'cause they enjoy it! Oh no! Just to prove how awful it all is.

:) That's possible, yes--or maybe the two oldest ones, Tommy and Virl? They weren't involved with the singing as they both have some hearing issues. One is deaf, the other partially so, I think. So I'm guessing they probably went on missions.

ETA: With all this Osmond talk, I've been humming "I'm a little bit country..." all day. :laughing-rolling:

For some strange reason, Virl Osmond came to mind the other day. I wish I knew why.

Interesting perspective. I think u r right w/ Kirk & Growing Pains. The funny part is when the show started he was the most level headed of all 3 kid actors (had been acting for a few years before the show). His change from who he was to a über Christian was in like a 3/4 month span. & it completely threw the whole cast & crew of the show for a loop.

I remember it vividly. That little jerk yanked everyone around. They had a whole season of shows planned, and he pulled this shit so suddenly that the production team had no clue what the hell to do. He suddenly demanded an actress be fired because she had been in Playboy. That little shit rose to fame as a "ladies' man," and then had a hard time with someone who was in Playboy, and nearly ruined her career over it. It was all like watching "what's happening now?" on the entertainment part of the news because no one was in the loop with that kid. Storylines stopped making sense his character was OOC overnight, and he single-handedly ruined a very popular show in one season. Without Growing Pains, he would have been a nobody. He killed the owner of the hand that fed him.

Candace actually hasn't been as bad as I thought she'd be, preachy-wise. I rolled my eyes when she vetoed Mark having his shirt off, but at the same time I was grateful because I don't want to see that man-child shirtless. :lol: I'm sure the producers made a big deal to her that it would all be okay, and I'm sure they ask her about her religion a lot. Anything to get headlines! I can't stand the woman, but I'm trying hard to judge her just on her dancing, which is pretty good for someone with zero experience. She's certainly not nearly as joyless as Bristol was.

I'm dying to see if Kirk will show up in the audience. It's pretty hard to so be anti-gay and enjoy ballroom dancing, seeing as plenty of male pros are indeed gay. He'll probably bring Ray Comfort along so they can count how many times each man gyrates his hips. Not 'cause they enjoy it! Oh no! Just to prove how awful it all is.

While eating bananas, the most perfect food invented by Godcreated by humans.

I remember it vividly. That little jerk yanked everyone around. They had a whole season of shows planned, and he pulled this shit so suddenly that the production team had no clue what the hell to do. He suddenly demanded an actress be fired because she had been in Playboy. That little shit rose to fame as a "ladies' man," and then had a hard time with someone who was in Playboy, and nearly ruined her career over it. It was all like watching "what's happening now?" on the entertainment part of the news because no one was in the loop with that kid. Storylines stopped making sense his character was OOC overnight, and he single-handedly ruined a very popular show in one season. Without Growing Pains, he would have been a nobody. He killed the owner of the hand that fed him.

I remember that. (I was young at the time). In a lot of ways he ruined his acting career over this & only came back cause they were Christian projects.

Tommy and Virl were the first two deaf Mormon missionaries.

Archived