IGNORED

Science wins in Texas

Kitty

:D

http://tfninsider.org/2011/08/15/a-final-victory-for-science/

The best part? This.

Here’s the head-exploding part for the creationists. Not only does the final version of Holt not include creationist arguments against evolution, but they also include language explicitly affirming Darwin’s theories.

That's right. Not only did the Texas SBOE tell creationists to STFU, they also gave creationists a giant FUCK YOU. No compromise, no "Evolution is just a theory" bullshit that contradicts what science textbooks say in the first chapter- science won.

Yay for science!

I have to say, I am shocked that the Texas Board of Education would allow this. Immensely pleased, but shocked. Then again, I have absolutely zero faith in Texas Board of Education.

Ugh, I hate when creationists try to "correct" science books. Although, maybe I'm a bit of a hypocrite, because I think it is hilarious in Firefly when River tries to correct the Bible.

Now if only they could get those social studies & history books fixed. . .

Yeah, I'm with you Jencendiary. I'm a history major and it drove me crazy when I heard about what they did with their history textbooks. Unfortunately, unlike science, which is undeniable fact, history is more up to opinion. Yes, Thomas Jefferson is an incredibly important historical figure, but it's impossible to quantify his importance and say, "Look, he is indisputably important enough to focus on more than these other things." Not that I don't think they royally screwed up the curriculum, but I think it's far more difficult to force them to admit their mistakes.

WHOOOOO-HOOOOO!!!!!!

:dance: :clap: :banana-dance: :character-kermit:

:chores-laundry:

(what? I'm really excited, but I still have to do laundry today!)

This is the best news I've heard all day! :dance:

Of course I just got up... :think:

Hihi some of the comments over there cracked me up.

Chris: "Creationists are as ridiculous as they appear.â€

Teri: "Well, they’ve only had a few thousand years to evolve."

:lol:

What about the religion books? Is the focus mostly on Christianity in these text books? Or do they teach about other religions?

I guess I am far too jaded and cynical. Science has won, for now and only now. A change of guard will change the outcome, because the fight will never really be won or lost; it will always be put on the table by people who believe their position is the only right one.

While there may be a victory for science going on in Texas with their BOE, their governor clearly has a big issue with science, as Rick Perry said earlier today that he does not believe in manmade global warming, calling it a scientific theory that has not been proven. He went on to say that, should he become president, "I don't think from my perspective that I want to be engaged in spending that much money on still a scientific theory that has not been proven and from my perspective is more and more being put into question.".

faTAStic!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/1 ... 29235.html

But what's interesting is that seems to be a flip-flop (imagine that!) from his position when he was a leader in Al Gore's 1988 campaign, after Gore was already talking about the "greenhouse effect" from the use of fossil fuels, despite what Perry may claim now.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61428.html

Archived