IGNORED

Bible Believing Baptists Beware!!

0 kids n not countin

Sigh, just SIGH...

It saddens me to see all these Baptists who are taking part in lent. Lent is a Catholic practice, and a Bible believing Baptist should never partake of their practices. Please hear me friends abstain from any practices that the Great Whore, the Roman Catholic Church, may promote. The ecumenicalist have began to push this practice as well. This connection of the emergent church adopting Catholic practices is nothing more than a way Satan is getting the world prepared for the acceptance of a one world religion during the tribulation!

The Roman Catholic Church has been identified in Protestant minds as "The Great Whore of Babylon" (or "The Great Whore" for short) since at least John Calvin's time. It's a reference to the Book of Revelations. Not tactful, but perfectly traditional. Canonical even,

For Lent this year, I'm just giving up.

(Full disclosure: I saw that on Facebook, but it really seems to apply here.)

Sigh, just SIGH...

Should we point out that the celebration of Christmas and Easter were both originally Catholic/Eastern Orthodox practices?

Should we point out that the celebration of Christmas and Easter were both originally Catholic/Eastern Orthodox practices?

Well, that's why REAL Christians don't celebrate either! They celebrate Resurrection Sunday and The Lord's Birth! If you change the name, you trick Satan, you see! But better not have eggs or a tree or you'll give it away!

And before that they were pagan. There are plenty of fundies who don't celebrate those holidays because, according to them, not joining in with the heathens is far more important than the two festivals that celebrate the whole point of Christianity.

For lent, I'm giving up being nice. I don't usually celebrate lent either, and had never heard of it till I was an adult.

Yeah, the RCC is often referred to as the great whore in certain circles...

Where is this quote taken from?

Ditto. (doesn't just apply to this thread - if something ridiculous that some fundy said is being quoted, please show us who said it)

Stuff like this annoys me. I went to a baptist church that on occasion would adopt a more catholic or orthodox tradition such as lent/ash wednesday. The reason being that despite the fact that it didn't fit in with the doctrine we supposedly followed, there was definitely merit in the reflection that such a ritual would give. It wasn't mandatory or even annual, but rather a challenge to reflect on ones faith and the events that the ritual celebrates in the bible. From a Christian POV, I fail to see how that's a bad thing.

Okay, as a Mennonite Baptist, I am offended! Lent was brought in more in the Mennonite churches in the 90s, and now it seems a lot of Mennonites by origin are going Baptist.

The acknowledgement of Lent was never meant to be this way! It was meant to be a time to reflect on Jesus' temptations and leading up to His suffering, death, and resurrection! If you give up something for the sake of growing closer to Jesus, good for you, no matter what denomination you are! If your giving up something is a means to become holier-than-thou, well, that can happen in any denomination too. I've learned the hard way that giving one thing up, something else can easily take its place and I can miss the whole point.

I'm not telling anyone how to do Lent, or not to. There is good in it for all Christians, and if you're not a Christian, well, mutual respect anyway, right?

Yeah, I agree with Tralala.

As a kid, I always thought it was "lint." Couldn't understand why anyone would want to observe lint.

We don't observe it now, but not because it's offensive or too Catholic. It's just not our tradition.

Huh, I've never heard of baptists bashing lent. I've known plenty that didn't celebrate Christmas and Easter... at least their kids won't be missing out on a fun holiday this time.

Assholes who come up with shit like that ARE NOT true Christians.

Assholes who come up with shit like that ARE NOT true Christians.

Who exactly are the true christians? You??

Who exactly are the true christians? You??

Second this, who decides who are the true believers of a religion or not anyway?

The real Christians are the ones too busy trying to live out their lives to write books and articles about what worthless whoremongers all those "other" Christians are and just how WRONG their traditions are in the eyes of God.

Huh, I've never heard of baptists bashing lent. I've known plenty that didn't celebrate Christmas and Easter... at least their kids won't be missing out on a fun holiday this time.

This is common in most of fundy-lite world, too. Anything slightly liturgical. Having been a graduate of Catholic school with plenty of knowledge of liturgy and tradition, I loved messing with them when I worked at a fundy-lite school (with a few hardcore types thrown in for fun--we had everything there, even had a bewildered Catholic kid for a few years).

Ways to mess with them if you so desire:

Point out that the Catholic church compiled the Bible and they never changed the New Testament post-Reformation.

Point out that "liturgy" can actually just refer to an order or pattern of service, so they do have one at their church. The school's chapel services even had one. This really messed them up for awhile. They considered changing the order of the school's chapel service then realized order is order and it can't really be random.

This one may not be around anymore, but in the mid-90s when I taught there, a popular Evangelical fad was the "50 Day Spiritual Adventure" for churches to do certain things including focusing on Bible study, prayer, service to others and even changing habits by doing something new or giving something up. Inevitably, their 50 days would coincide with Lent. Pointing this out really tied them in knots.

I've never heard the Catholic church called "The Great Whore" before. Who is quoted OP?

Oh, that is SOOO last century. Now the Great Whore is Islam typed in total sarcasm; don't crucify--or behead!- me..

The real Christians are the ones too busy trying to live out their lives to write books and articles about what worthless whoremongers all those "other" Christians are and just how WRONG their traditions are in the eyes of God.

This is what I was trying to say. You said it better than I could. I'm sorry.

Archived