IGNORED

No ER For The Poor

debrand

I know! I don't understand it at all. Its a plan they came up with in the 90s to counter Clinton's universal healthcare plan. The ACA is nearly identical. Obama barely changed anything. The only reason I can come up with as to why they're so against it now is that a black democratic president implemented it.

Ding ding ding! As the saying goes, if President Obama came out in favor of his own impeachment, the GOP would oppose it on principle. Or if Obama came out in favor of oxygen, the GOP would...Maybe they already have. It would explain a lot.

The Affordable Care Act doesn't do much for some of us. I live in a state where Medicaid wasn't expanded, and the only way a person can get Medicaid is if the person has children. I'm well below the poverty level, and when I applied for the Affordable Care Act, the cheapest option was $150. People say they can only pay a few dollars a month on it, but I haven't found out how it's possible.

The Affordable Care Act doesn't do much for some of us. I live in a state where Medicaid wasn't expanded, and the only way a person can get Medicaid is if the person has children. I'm well below the poverty level, and when I applied for the Affordable Care Act, the cheapest option was $150. People say they can only pay a few dollars a month on it, but I haven't found out how it's possible.

Check again. A couple of jobs my husband has applied for don't provide health insurance or don't offer coverage for spouses and I am not employed full time. We are and would remain over poverty level in a state with no Medicaid expansion and are eligible for a subsidized policy. The problem is that the initial questions on the site show you the full premiums for your area. You have to go elsewhere to find the information about subsidies and tax credits.

Check again. A couple of jobs my husband has applied for don't provide health insurance or don't offer coverage for spouses and I am not employed full time. We are and would remain over poverty level in a state with no Medicaid expansion and are eligible for a subsidized policy. The problem is that the initial questions on the site show you the full premiums for your area. You have to go elsewhere to find the information about subsidies and tax credits.

And where would you go to get this information?

Hey, thanks for posting that. It'll be useful for when I help my mom sign up for it.

ETA: this post is in reply to louisa05

I heard about this! It's just awful. And yes. If you make less than 130% of the poverty line, you qualify for Medicaid. Mrs. lawlife is on it now, since they only count her wages and not my student loans as income. I've been thinking about it as well, since I'm young enough to still be on my parents' insurance, but my mother absolutely thinks I'm making horrible life choices and hates my partner.

Long story short, mother dear threatens to cut the insurance every time I do something "wrong" and thinks that she has a right to know every detail of when I go to the doctor or get medicine. Which is awkward because she doesn't know I'm managing depression. Since the insurance (although it's awesome, parents are unionized), is being used like a "leash" in this case, I just need to find out if I can get the same basic services through Medicaid, and if so, get on it. I'll be 24 next month. Time to cut the last ties.

Yeah, just like I said. I went to the site suggested, and it says that it would cost even more for healthcare than the healthcare.gov site. Around $239 a month, so like I said. Some of us are just screwed depending on the color of our state.

Yeah, just like I said. I went to the site suggested, and it says that it would cost even more for healthcare than the healthcare.gov site. Around $239 a month, so like I said. Some of us are just screwed depending on the color of our state.

It's unfortunate but true. I love in a state that didn't expand Medicaid and the stories of people who are too poor to qualify for subsidies are heartbreaking.

The ACA was conceived as a two part program - Medicaid for those below a certain income level and subsidies for those above that level but who still need help. If you take away half the program it doesn't work. Of course, making the program not work was the goal of the GOP leaders in my state, so mission accomplished! :roll:

Tiny Town Hospital has several signs that say that people are entitled to stabilizing treatment even if they can't pay.

This! I am now on disability, so I qualify for Medicare.

I know! I don't understand it at all. Its a plan they came up with in the 90s to counter Clinton's universal healthcare plan. The ACA is nearly identical. Obama barely changed anything. The only reason I can come up with as to why they're so against it now is that a black democratic president implemented it.

To be fair, I also don't understand why some on the left are so blindly in favor of it. So many people seem to equate it with universal health care and either embrace it or vilify it based on their feelings about that, not based on what it actually is and does.

I do know several people who have benefitted, but I know a few who have been penalized, and not just through the obvious parts of receiving/ not receiving health insurance. One of our kids is in her mid-twenties and still on our insurance. She goes to school and was working full- time at a decent employer. Unfortunately her employer cut most employees hours because they couldn't afford to cover everyone. It's a fairly small local company,but large enough to be required to provide coverage. I don't think they are some evil monolith that is pocketing millions, they are just trying to maintain an already low margin business.

So she has health insurance, and can get Medicaid once she ages off our insurance next year, but struggles to pay rent and food.

Archived