IGNORED

Warning! Going away to college turns girls into sluts

snuggles911

SSM has a post up today in which she declares her daughters will not receive the money she's put into their 529 college savings plans if they decide to go away to college. Instead, they must commute from home. sunshinemaryandthedragon.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/girls-conspiring-to-turn-other-girls-into-sluts-a-good-reason-not-to-send-your-daughters-away-to-college/#comment-54244

She links to blogs by promiscuous college girls to as evidence that the peer pressure on campus turns girls into sluts. This is so sad. My mom was so excited when I was accepted into a college in another state. She was happy to pack all my stuff into her station wagon and drop me off. And, no, I didn't become a slut even though male students outnumbered women by a fairly large margin.

Sadly, most of SSM's readers seem to agree with her. I don't see anything wrong with commuting to college if that's what you want to do. But, I disagree with parents treating young adults like children and limiting their choices because they're afraid they might make a "wrong" decision.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if she chooses to use it on something other than college expenses for the bene, she'll lose a good chunk of it to fees/penalties. That seems silly, but I have a feeling she'd be willing to lose money out of spite. Or just leave it there forever. Out of spite.

There is this strange notion that anyone who is not fundie is a crazy partier who is into one-night stands.

Um. No. I'm a non-fundie 26 year old who works at a humanitarian non-profit, VERY rarely drinks, has never had a one-night stand (not that I would be a worse person if I did!), and volunteers with kids. So... yeah. I could have gone crazy in college, certainly. But I didn't. Because I knew myself well enough to know that's not what I wanted.

P.S. Despite hanging out with people that DO drink and DO smoke pot and HAVE had one night stands, I've never faced peer pressure to do so. They may offer once or twice (lol, not for the one night stands, though...), I say "No thank you," and they are fine with it.

I take it back. Maybe she does have the 529s, and they've all got that 100 dollars in them they opened the account with.

"Darling, if you want to go Party U, you cannot have this $119.25 I have socked away."

Isn't "Slut" just a code word used by SSM and her toadlike followers for "educated woman who earns more than the beta men" or "woman who has sex with others but not me."

I attended a liberal university for 4 years-lived on my own, found my future spouse, maintained a good gpa, never got arrested, never did drugs, nor did I sleep around.

Yep, sending your daughters to college will definitely turn them into sluts.

Isn't "Slut" just a code word used by SSM and her toadlike followers for "educated woman who earns more than the beta men" or "woman who has sex with others but not me."

Or also, women who do what I heartily encourage men to do.

Umh, if they are over 18, they don't need her permission to access the money for college.

If it is actually a 529, they do. 529's do not automatically transfer to the beneficiary upon majority. For 529's, the money remains under the control of the administrator, but if they use the money for anything besides higher-education expenses, it becomes subject to fees and penalties.

Other types of college savings plans may automatically transfer, but if it is a 529, SSM will be able to withhold the money.

Left this comment, let's see if she approves it...

So you think so little of your own parenting skills that you’re afraid that if your daughters are out of your sight they’ll turn into “sluts�??? My daughters went away to school, across the country in one case and none of them turned into “sluts†or anything else. If you’ve taught your daughters morals and values, they’ll carry them wherever they go.

Didn't SSM sleep with her husband on the first date? Because if she didn't he wouldn't want to see her again? Wouldn't that be the definition of a "slut" in SSM's world? WTF, seriously...

Well, considering the fact that I got into agasp lesbian relationship while in college, I'm calling bs on this. Or maybe I'm just the rare exception.

I could serve as Exhibit A for SSM's worst fears. I was raised fundie, went off to University over my mother's obections that everything SSM predicts would happen to me and more. And she was right. Within two weeks I had smoked tobacco and pot, drunk alcohol, attended a movie, danced (!), and lost my virginity. It was awesome.

I also flunked out after one semester, but I didn't go home. It took me a few more years to figure out that not everything that my former religion had forbidden was good for me. And several more years to come up with a reason to be at University, whereupon I returned to school, didn't party (much), rarely drank anything stronger than coffee, and graduated at the top of my class.

I hate to say it but I have to agree with SSM here. Her kids would probably become very promiscuous and party like crazy. Sexually repressed young adults that suddenly find freedom? They'd have no way to gage what would work best for themselves. They'll need someone to control them their whole lives. They haven't been prepared to make their own decisions and live responsibly and achieve goals. Yay Patriarchy!

This is really interesting.It seems as though people look for reasons to count everything that is normal to justify religious means. I know this

May go off topic but I was reading a blog where a young fundie mother would not let her daughter play with dolls for obviously absurd reasons. One reason is that Barbie's promote materialism and is not holy. I feel as though today many fundies find to exclude any normalcy or any fun because of extreme fear.

Didn't SSM sleep with her husband on the first date? Because if she didn't he wouldn't want to see her again? Wouldn't that be the definition of a "slut" in SSM's world? WTF, seriously...

Seriously, I think SSM's Freudian slip is showing here. Talk about your projection!

SSM seems to be awfully obsessed with so-called sluts. She writes about them all the damn time. But I think we know why, don't we Murse Phil?

Archived