IGNORED

Clay Aiken for Congress

lizziesmom

He's apparently going to run in North Carolina, a state that is deep red. I hope he actually knocks on doors, attends rallies and does all the hands on things a candidate is expected to do or this will be another loss like Stephen Colbert's sister's campaign against Mark Sanford. Unless you're a Duck Dynasty member the celebrity thing does not impress folks.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politic ... -1.1602649 (Not breaking link)

Clay does have opposition in the Democratic primary. I may not have read all the comments, but man, the ones I did read were vile! Anyway, good luck, Clay!

North Carolina is not "deep" red. It went blue in 2008 and came kinda close in 2012. They have lots of New England transplants in the Raleigh-Durham region. (Which is the seat he is vying for) Raleigh has hippies. I am going to their Moral March on Saturday...hopefully, it will be the biggest one in the South.

But yeah...it will be a rough road to Congress for a gay single dad.

The whole Triangle area is more liberal than not (I'm sitting here right now), and our late great Senator Jesse Helms thought we didn't need to fund the NC Zoo because we could just put up a fence around Chapel Hill and charge admission. Unfortunately, our state defeated the marriage equality amendment by a dismaying margin, so Clay has a long way to go to win a majority statewide. There is still a lot of backwoods bigotry when you get outside the larger areas.

thatsnark--your current Governor doesn't even know how unemployment works. ("People are crossing the border to come to NC to get unemployment!")

I haven't really been anywhere other than Raleigh and Charlotte. They are both nice cities. I don't think I could live here full time, but I am enjoying not having -40 weather right now. (I was just outside in flip-flops.)

Stephanie66, have fun at Moral Saturday! I'd thought for a minute about catching the bus in Asheville but it leaves at 4:30 in the morning and I'd need to leave Greenville, SC at 3:00 AM. Besides I'm going to a meet and greet with the next SC governor (I hope!) Vincent Sheheen in Spartanburg that afternoon and may register voters that morning.

I live in Asheville North Carolina which is also very liberal. I went to an awesome service this wednesday at Haywood Street Congregation where a lot of liberal/progressive priests from the area attend service. I'm going to the march tomorrow too! Big stuff happening in North Carolina! Human rights activism in the name of Jesus? who thunk it ;)

I realize it's probably almost impossible but I'd just love for him to win.

I live in NC and would like for him to win too but the chances of a single, gay dad winning in this state are pretty slim.

Archived