IGNORED

Oscar nomination of "Alone Yet Not Alone"

Olive Plant

What concerns me is that the tool and his fellow tools seem to have access to people like William Ross and Bruce Broughton, who seem to be mainstream (at least on the surface). Who knows how many other people Christian Reconstructionists secretly have on their speed dial?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that a lot of people are willing to take people like Doug and his group at face value. Doug knows what to say to convince gullible people that he is a 'true' Christian and be believed. William Ross and Bruce Broughton might not fully understand what Christian Reconstructionists really believe.

I plan to start adding this link to any site that praises the film and let people know that Christian Reconstructionism is a cult

patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2014/01/oscar-nominated-alone-but-not-alone-a-product-of-the-doug-phillips-michael-farris-empire.html

A comment from the Facebook page:

So like God to bring a little known song, from a less known movie, sung by someone who is not a singer, to draw attention to all three (that and who are a testament to Him) in a venue that for the most part is apathetic or hostile to Him. LOVE IT!!!!

:roll:

Yes, that's it -- Goddidit.

A comment from the Facebook page:

:roll:

Yes, that's it -- Goddidit.

Must not be a good song if it couldn't win on his own merit, and it had to be caused by God's interference.

Were my eyes deceiving me, or did I see one 'Brant Harris', aka Brantley Harris Disharoon (aka the teenager whose charges for sexually abusing younger boys got kind of swept under the carpet), in the cast list?

I'm guessing that's Brett Harris of "Do Hard Things" and "Rebolution", younger brother of Joshua Harris of "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" fame.

Spiritual Sounding Board has a pretty good piece up:

spiritualsoundingboard.com/2014/01/20/disturbing-reconstructionist-connections-with-oscar-nominee-film-alone-yet-not-alone/

Wow, Geoff Botkin doing camera work?!

post-3335-14451998601855_thumb.jpg

(Thanks to Julie Anne in the Sounding Board comments section)

There's more discussion in the comments section of Katie Botkin's blog post about AYNA:

Jordan B.said: January 17, 2014 at 8:30 am

A friend invited me to see this at their church and I made the mistake of going. It’s obvious if you watch the movie that the Christian religion is supposed to be what everyone believes and that whites are the genteel ones. The evil savage pagan Indians kidnap the innocent white Christian children and make them dye their beautiful blonde hair a terrible ugly black. The only thing that keeps the Christian children going is that they were raised Christian and can think of the Christian god when they are grown into adults and are part of the Indian tribe (but not really because all Indians deserve to have their civilization wiped out unless they convert to Christianity). It’s nice to know this is called dominionism and it’s still a real thing some Christians believe.

KBrownsaid: January 20, 2014 at 2:07 am

Hi Katie, I find your comments on the Patriarchal Movement very insightful. you mention your uncle Geoff Botkin in relation to the 200 year plan and link a website that sites his history going back to the Great Comission Cult with Jim McCotter. Their teaching is very similar to what he teaches through the Patriachal Movement. Is it true that he was/ is part of the cult? And why do they never talk about it?

Katie Botkinsaid: January 20, 2014 at 2:15 pm

My parents and my uncle went to a Great Commission church/group together; my parents split after things got too heavy-handed. I’ve never talked to my uncle about his involvement with the group, but from what I understand, there were a lot of theological overlaps between that group and the current patriarchy/homeschool movement.

Jensaid: January 20, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Hi Katie! I, too, saw this movie when it was previewed right here in San Antonio. Your insights into using this form of media to push the dominion theology on whole cultures is quite insightful. I had not considered that particular motive before, but perhaps I am too close to the situation. Come to think of it, taking dominion truly is the theme of the movie, isn’t it?

I guess when the movie is full of people you know, and when you realize that this was not only made but being shown right up until Doug’s public confession, you have to wonder what was really going on behind the scenes.

The scene I will never forget, although most people will never see it, is when Barbara finally gets away and gets all cleaned up and comes out for dinner, and Doug Phillips, as the general, oohs and ahs over how beautiful she is. He practically falls all over himself in that scene. It was quite disturbing.

Katie, wasn’t your uncle one of the videographers for this movie as well?

Katie Botkinsaid: January 20, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Jen, thanks. If my uncle (or his family) was involved in the movie, I am not aware of it either through personal or public channels.

Spiritual Sounding Board has a pretty good piece up:

spiritualsoundingboard.com/2014/01/20/disturbing-reconstructionist-connections-with-oscar-nominee-film-alone-yet-not-alone/

Wow, Geoff Botkin doing camera work?!

I'd seen someone mention that in the comments under some article. But, their source was Jens Gems, so I wasn't sure if it could be believed. But there it is, in black and white!

I didn't know Geoff thinks he can run a camera, but I did know that he has delusions of filmmaking:

IsyIqSx.jpg

Pic is from:

reelcast.squarespace.com/blog/2010/11/6/san-antonio-independent-christian-film-academy-saicfa.html

Oh, Geoff thinks he's quite the film maker, right up there with Spielberg - he's done presentations like that several times at Dougie's now-defunct San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival. Of course, he's also tried to pass himself off as a doctor, donning a white lab coat while bloviating about all things reproductive at Dougie's Baby Conference. And wasn't there something published recently about his advanced degree in duck biology...??? :whistle:

Oh, Geoff thinks he's quite the film maker, right up there with Spielberg - he's done presentations like that several times at Dougie's now-defunct San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival. Of course, he's also tried to pass himself off as a doctor, donning a white lab coat while bloviating about all things reproductive at Dougie's Baby Conference. And wasn't there something published recently about his advanced degree in duck biology...??? :whistle:

He's a quack, alright! (Too easy, I know...)

Broughton's wife posted on the AYNA Facebook page:

My husband, Bruce Broughton wrote the "Alone yet not Alone" song along with lyricist, Dennis Spiegel. We are trying to get the song out to as many people as possible, so the more you can spread the word and share the song, the better! It would be so wonderful for "Alone yet not Alone" to get the Oscar and the recognition it so well deserves. Thank you for all you can possibly do and we are so thrilled you love the song so much. It's very inspiring, especially sung so beautifully by Joni Eareckson Tada

On her own Facebook page, she keeps posting that the song is ahead in the Hollywood Reporter polls -- I guess all of the sheep are going there (a site they've probably never visited before!) to vote. So much for rejecting evil Hollywood.

I don't think some of the flock would appreciate a few of her timeline photos:

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202858448004386&set=a.1580445473194.2074917.1297389706&type=1&theater

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202833624463813&set=a.1580445473194.2074917.1297389706&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/belinda.brought ... ion=stream

ETA -- here is the HR page with the poll (not a general article about the nominations, notice, but the article about Tada:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/o ... ger-672005

And this comment from a supporter of the film:

I have never see so many angry, bitter, and vial homosexuals come out of the bath houses to swear and curse this song...Another reason why homosexuality is dangerous to a free society...If this song loses now it is truly becasue of militant gays who have threatened people....

Is a "vial homosexual" anything like a bottle blonde?

Where are all these militant gays she keeps meeting? Most gay people I meet, and there are quite a few here in my uni town, are polite, respectful members of society.

Where are all these militant gays she keeps meeting?

Got me.

BTW, that was a comment from a man, under the article about Tada on the Hollywood reporter -- just wanted to make sure I was clear. It was not something Tada or Broughton said.

I think the gay people he's picturing are entirely imaginary.

ETA -- I just scrolled down on Broughton's facebook page, and noticed that she posted this, under one of her posts about the poll:

It's all rather fun, but I have no nails left!

So, apparently it is one of those polls that allows people to refresh the page and vote again and again. That explains a lot.

This is the man who claims a career as a political consultant on the basis of time spent harassing politicians about the evils of abortion.

Well done!

Thank you! MeFi is big on including lots of links, so the post took me about 3 hours to put together. Damn, I just realized I should have said Doug Phillips Is A Tool in there somewhere.

Thank you! MeFi is big on including lots of links, so the post took me about 3 hours to put together. Damn, I just realized I should have said Doug Phillips Is A Tool in there somewhere.

:lol:

You might want to include the fact that Doug was in the cast list, playing Colonel Mercer, then disappeared after his resignation.

I would love to find out from someone who saw it during that one week it was shown, if he was still in the actual movie at that point.

Jen's Gems has a new post up about this matter, allegedly authored by Jen "With writing and research assistance from T.W. Eston." :roll:

The actress starring as the adult Barbara Leininger is Tracy Leininger Craven's sister, Kelly Leininger Greyson (kellygreyson.com/index.ht).

I guess the Leininger girls, like Doug's sisters Jennifer & Alessandra Filippo-Rossi, aren't expected to stay at home under their fathers' headships until marriage.

For that matter, it doesn't look like they worry about defrauding the men folk either!!

kelly_D04R3440.jpg

Jen's Gems has a new post up about this matter, allegedly authored by Jen "With writing and research assistance from T.W. Eston." :roll:

The actress starring as the adult Barbara Leininger is Tracy Leininger Craven's sister, Kelly Leininger Greyson (kellygreyson.com/index.ht).

This is the first I've heard that Greyson is a Leininger. Does Jen have any proof of this? It is not mentioned anywhere else that I can find, and she does not go by that name.

If she was related, I should think they'd want to romanticize it, or at least mention it in an interview like this, where she is asked about her family:

http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/fai ... lture.html

This is the first I've heard that Greyson is a Leininger. Does Jen have any proof of this? It is not mentioned anywhere else that I can find, and she does not go by that name.

If she was related, I should think they'd want to romanticize it, or at least mention it in an interview like this, where she is asked about her family:

http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/fai ... lture.html

Good points. Did find this earlier article where Jim Leininger & Kelly (plus others) were at some conservative film conference last summer: breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/07/26/conservative-filmmakers-western-summit

Good points. Did find this earlier article where Jim Leininger & Kelly (plus others) were at some conservative film conference last summer: breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/07/26/conservative-filmmakers-western-summit

Yeah, she's likely to be found at events like that. But there's no indication she was there with Leininger, or that he's her dad. I still don't see anyone other than Jen claiming she is.

It would be a cool new twist to the whole thing, but I'm leery of getting my new twists from Jen. :D

Archived