IGNORED

Oscar nomination of "Alone Yet Not Alone"

Olive Plant

The AYNA FB page posted this quote:

"I called on the Lord in distress; the Lord answered me and set me in a broad place. The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?"--Psalm 118:5-6.

So is that the fundie version of "I am rubber, you are glue?"

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure the usual suspects will be out there claiming this is a case of Christians being persecuted.

Y'all, the rules do not apply to them because Jesus. They're such good and correct Christians that they are above the rules. God approves of everything they do. Things the ethics, morals, rules, laws and social conventions only apply to us mere mortals. Sheesh.

When people on the FB page point out that Broughton used his position unfairly and broke the rules to promote the song, other people are giving responses like, "How is that different from any other nominee? Plenty of studios do it!"

To me, this confirms that dominionist Christians don't want to be "better people" in the sense of having a high sense of morals. They want to be "better people" in the sense of winning and crushing their enemies.

It's a nom, yet not a nom.

Oscar's said to send me home.

Since my cheating shamelessness

Has made me near-victorious,

They've tossed me from my throne.

It's a nom, yet not a nom

This is certainly not an era on which Doug Phillip's will look back kindly.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/30/showb ... =allsearch

I also think the cherry on top is on the CNN story, they presumably couldn't find a correlating image and so they just used a defrauding image of Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams in dresses with necklines down to there!

Kelly is undoubtedly a pretty girl. However, some of these pictures just scream "But look at my range!"

Compare

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2611404032/ ... mmd_md_nxt

to

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb9f6 ... o1_500.gif

ETA: I don't think I need to make these unclicky? Sorry in advance if I was supposed to.

Kelly is undoubtedly a pretty girl. However, some of these pictures just scream "But look at my range!"

Compare

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2611404032/ ... mmd_md_nxt

to

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb9f6 ... o1_500.gif

ETA: I don't think I need to make these unclicky? Sorry in advance if I was supposed to.

All I can think of is "I think she's had some work done."

All I see is infection risk (ok, and booooooobs)! Never ever long sleeves in hospital work. That scrub looks uncomfortably tight but then again, I prefer my scrubs loose-fitting.

All I see is infection risk (ok, and booooooobs)! Never ever long sleeves in hospital work. That scrub looks uncomfortably tight but then again, I prefer my scrubs loose-fitting.

In my hospital, if something is under a scrub top, nothing can be longer on the arm than the edge of the scrub's (short) sleeve.

There's a long story in the LA Times this morning about the fracas over Alone Yet Not Alone:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... z2rz55ce6A

Not breaking the link...but to see this, you may have to use your Private Browsing mode (right click on the link and select incognito or whatever). The LA Times wants people to pay to read their Entertainment section.

Basically, the story is a big WAH WAH WE GOT CAUGHT BUT EVERYONE DOES IT and The Way Movies Are Promoted For The Oscars May Change Because the Cheating Christians Got Caught and Everyone Loves an Underdog. (Except that this underdog is backed by billionaire James Leininger.)

Anyway, I sent an e-mail to the two writers, Steve Zeitchik and Glenn Whipp, letting them know there was a much bigger story here than just a member of the Academy board using his power to get an obscure song nominated. I pointed them to Katie Botkin's blog (hell, I'm not going to do all their work) and pushed them off in that direction. If you feel so inspired, you may wish to follow up with your own e-mail to them. God knows they'll be hearing from all the Outraged Christians.

Anyway, I sent an e-mail to the two writers, Steve Zeitchik and Glenn Whipp, letting them know there was a much bigger story here than just a member of the Academy board using his power to get an obscure song nominated. I pointed them to Katie Botkin's blog (hell, I'm not going to do all their work) and pushed them off in that direction. If you feel so inspired, you may wish to follow up with your own e-mail to them.

Done.

I also realized that I know a (published! as in articles and books!) Hollywood freelance writer, so I dropped the info on his Facebook. I hope he runs with it.

The Daily Beast has discussed the connection:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... usted.html

Alone Yet Not Alone seems to echo the Vision Forum brand of spiritualized American nationalism, and Tracy Leininger Craven, the author of the book from which the screenplay is adapted, has written several books that reinforce a conservative view of gender roles. Craven’s “Beautiful Girlhood Library†series are advertised as celebrating God’s blessing of women who “are faithfully walking in their calling as wife, mother, or daughter.†Leininger is the daughter of James Leininger a Texas multimillionaire who is a major booster of Rick Perry, and has been called the “sugar daddy of the religious right.†The two protagonists of the film, Barbara and Regina Leininger, are based on family ancestors who settled in Pennsylvania in the 1700s. Barbara is played by Tracy Leininger Craven’s sister, Kelly Greyson, and their father is said to have financed the movie’s approximately $7 million budget.

James Leininger bridges the gap between the Virginia and Texas groups: over the years, he has been heavily involved in Vision Forum, and also sits on the Patrick Henry College board of trustees.

All I can think of is "I think she's had some work done."

A boob job and nose job at least. Maybe chin implants too.

While I don't have an issue with women getting plastic surgery if they don't have body dysmorphic disorder, I can't help but think how hypocritical it is for these types to get plastic surgery when they are always talking about how terrible it is for women to put lustful thoughts into men's minds

A boob job and nose job at least. Maybe chin implants too.

While I don't have an issue with women getting plastic surgery if they don't have body dysmorphic disorder, I can't help but think how hypocritical it is for these types to get plastic surgery when they are always talking about how terrible it is for women to put lustful thoughts into men's minds

She looks as though she's had cheek implants too.

She looks hard and plastic.

I don't know how hypocritical is it for Kelly to alter her looks, or to present a sexy image, to be honest. It's not clear to me that she was brought up with the modesty nonsense, or claims to believe it herself.

Jim Leininger has kept himself out of the spotlight well enough that it is hard to find pictures of his family, or statements about things like modesty, online. He let other people, like the Phillips family, be the facade, declaring how they live and how others should.

Obviously, he was involved financially in things like VF. But he strikes me as someone who will give money to anyone who is espousing a conservative cause or focused on the "take over the country for Jesus" part of Dominionism. I'm not sure how he feels about the rest of the BS, like women being modest helpmeets without careers.

It could be that Kelly is the black sheep and he's given up on changing her, it could be that he does not expect his children to toe the line (his politics and religious fervor started at the end of the 1980s, so his kids were not raised in it from day one - see link below), or he could be as supportive emotionally as he is financially, and not care one whit about modesty.

Or, it could be hypocrisy -- a case of "you people follow the rules, but we are above them." But I can't confidently say that it is.

If somebody finds a statement from Kelly about modesty, I'll be glad to add that to things for which I'm snarking on her. :lol: But, for now, being a bad actress, posing badly for pictures, and having a career bought for her, rather than earned, will have to do for me.

http://www.texscience.org/reform/leininger.htm

I don't know how hypocritical is it for Kelly to alter her looks, or to present a sexy image, to be honest. It's not clear to me that she was brought up with the modesty nonsense, or claims to believe it herself.

Jim Leininger has kept himself out of the spotlight well enough that it is hard to find pictures of his family, or statements about things like modesty, online. He let other people, like the Phillips family, be the facade, declaring how they live and how others should.

Obviously, he was involved financially in things like VF. But he strikes me as someone who will give money to anyone who is espousing a conservative cause or focused on the "take over the country for Jesus" part of Dominionism. I'm not sure how he feels about the rest of the BS, like women being modest helpmeets without careers.

It could be that Kelly is the black sheep and he's given up on changing her, it could be that he does not expect his children to toe the line (his politics and religious fervor started at the end of the 1980s, so his kids were not raised in it from day one - see link below), or he could be as supportive emotionally as he is financially, and not care one whit about modesty.

Or, it could be hypocrisy -- a case of "you people follow the rules, but we are above them." But I can't confidently say that it is.

If somebody finds a statement from Kelly about modesty, I'll be glad to add that to things for which I'm snarking on her. :lol: But, for now, being a bad actress, posing badly for pictures, and having a career bought for her, rather than earned, will have to do for me.

http://www.texscience.org/reform/leininger.htm

I don't think I explained myself correctly. Its not hypocritical in the sense that she is directly talking about these ideas. I find it disturbing that someone who has contributed (financially and through promoting them) so much to organizations who actively try to remove women's choices in pretty much all matters. This includes freedoms she seems to enjoy, such as dressing how she wants and getting a divorce. She may not be saying it herself, but by standing alongside VF people and pushing their bullshit, she is still an advocate for their worldview. I do think its disturbing to see someone who seems to selectively embrace this lifestyle because she is rich enough to be able to, while pushing to others this image that says women have to act and look a certain way.

I don't think I explained myself correctly. Its not hypocritical in the sense that she is directly talking about these ideas. I find it disturbing that someone who has contributed (financially and through promoting them) so much to organizations who actively try to remove women's choices in pretty much all matters. This includes freedoms she seems to enjoy, such as dressing how she wants and getting a divorce. She may not be saying it herself, but by standing alongside VF people and pushing their bullshit, she is still an advocate for their worldview. I do think its disturbing to see someone who seems to selectively embrace this lifestyle because she is rich enough to be able to, while pushing to others this image that says women have to act and look a certain way.

That makes sense.

I just wasn't sure if people were thinking she was raised with all of the modesty restrictions. And, I have been thinking of her as someone who will take any path to a career in movies and took the easiest way in, not so much as someone who has drunk the Koolaid and really believes all of the shit.

But, you are right -- she has not only performed in the film, she has spouted some of the crap about "values":

DO2wQTiZKus

This article says he was disqualified for identifying himself as the composer to voters in a should be anonymous voting. The day before it was disqualified, Broughton gave an interview where he admitted he did just that

I knew people wouldn’t know what the film was so, I wrote a letter to people that I personally knew and thought were a member of the branch to ask them to look for the song, to be aware that there’s a song there. I didn’t ask for anyone to vote for it, I just didn’t want the song to be bypassed.

studiosystemnews.com/awards-spotlight-composer-bruce-broughton-on-how-original-song-alone-yet-not-alone-landed-an-oscar-nomination/

Seems pretty cut and dry. I wonder if the interview did him in.

Of course, his wife is on facebook complaining that some of the songs are by well known artists who have been written up in the press, so its not anonymous and should be allowed. Because a third party discussing a song is the same thing and its only morally wrong when someone else does it.

Of course, the song will get sung, at the MovieGuide Awards:

A Christian organization called Movieguide, known for its in-depth analysis of hundreds of movies and TV shows each year, is hoping to make some hay of Oscar's unusual decision to take back its best song nomination for Alone Yet Not Alone. Hence, on Thursday, Movieguide said it has hastily booked Joni Eareckson Tada to sing the no-longer-nominated song at its annual event, dubbed the 22nd annual Movieguide Faith & Values Awards Gala.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a ... ked-675754

I was hoping this interview would have something about Kelly Greyson being a Leininger, or Jim mentioning Vision Forum or SAICFF when he talks about making Christian movies -- alas, no.

But, if you want to hear Dobson repeatedly refer to white people as "Americans" (as opposed to Indians, you see) and talk about the girls trying to get back to "civilization," and hear what Tracy and Jim sound like (Jim is only in the second part), go for it:

oneplace.com/ministries/family-talk/custom-player/alone-yet-not-alone-i-326781.html

oneplace.com/ministries/family-talk/custom-player/alone-yet-not-alone-ii-326782.html

They do give some lip service to "war is hell and all sides were meanies, the Indians didn't want war, but were egged on by the French, the French and British paid for scalps, etc."

But, for the most part, it is just what you'd expect, including claiming that other people teach revisionist history. Not them -- nuh-uh.

Did you know that God gave personal protection to George Washington in a battle? :roll:

Oh, and the generation coming up now will also be "under attack," just like those poor Leiningers of old -- by the horrible culture around them.

Archived