IGNORED

Oscar nomination of "Alone Yet Not Alone"

Olive Plant

I thought this deserved its own thread after I found out about it on the Dougie thread. Alone Yet Not Alone's theme song got nominated for an Oscar today. There are tons of articles saying it's because of the connections the people behind the song, one of them was the head of the Oscar music department for awhile. We have talked about this movie here on various different threads, but someone was saying Doug Phillips even appeared in the movie, although I can't find anything confirming that. Lourdes Torres is in it along with Doug's daughter (they play the same character at different ages).

I have a feeling this is going to be a big deal to a lot of people paying attention to the Oscars because the movie is so obscure (and so horribly bad if the trailer is any indication).

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came on here to post this - I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw this!

stereogum.com/1632022/check-out-alone-not-yet-alone-the-years-most-obscure-oscar-nominee/video/

visionforum.com/browse/product/alone-yet-not-alone/default.aspx

This movie is based off a book by one of the Leininger daughters (of Vision Forum and PHC $$ fame).

My response is a giant WTF. :pink-shock: :pink-shock: :pink-shock:

No. Freaking. Way.

Just when we had these nimrods almost pushed into obscurity, THIS happens? Are we absolutely sure it's not an Onion article? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Excuse me while I vomit.

huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/16/alone-yet-not-alone-best-original-song_n_4610110.html

Headline: 'Alone Yet Not Alone' Tops Taylor Swift, Coldplay, Jay Z And Beyonce In Best Original Song Nominations

How incredibly strange.

I was looking specifically at that category because I actually kind of love [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk]Let it Go[/link] from Frozen and wondered what that movie was. I definitely didn't expect this.

I'm listening to it now and it's overtly religious. Very surprising that this would be considered worthy of a nomination. At least it's not going to win.

It's not a bad song at all, but I'm totally peeved that THIS mediocre song is receiving so much attention when there's so many other good songs worthy of the nomination. This just confirms to me that the Academy Awards is so full of BS and the selection process is arbitrary.

I would like to know how the board/panel/whoever-does-the-nominating heard about this movie and why they decided to nominate this song. Bizarre. Truly, truly bizarre.

Ooh, could Doug Phillips (who is a tool) appear onstage if they do a live version of the song at the awards ceremony? You know he has the costumes--and the chutzpah--to show up and sing in the chorus, assuming he couldn't convince them let him do a solo. This is no more preposterous than the fact that the song received a nomination in the first place.

Doug Phillips: still a tool.

This reminds me of the controversy over "Butterfly," an awful 1982 film starring Pia Zadora and Orson Welles that nonetheless garnered Ms. Zadora Golden Globe for Best Female Newcomer. People said that her multi-millionare husband bought off the committee. Something similar seems to be afloat here.

http://www.avclub.com/article/obscure-o ... ile-107011

(link not broken because it's the AV Club)

Katie Botkin, awesome as usual.

kbotkin.com/2014/01/16/alone-yet-not-alone-in-a-sea-of-dominionism/

Oh, how I wish Katie would come on over and join FJ. This is another great post - I bet Geoff's head is about to explode. :lol:

I thought this deserved its own thread after I found out about it on the Dougie thread. Alone Yet Not Alone's theme song got nominated for an Oscar today. There are tons of articles saying it's because of the connections the people behind the song, one of them was the head of the Oscar music department for awhile. We have talked about this movie here on various different threads, but someone was saying Doug Phillips even appeared in the movie, although I can't find anything confirming that. Lourdes Torres is in it along with Doug's daughter (they play the same character at different ages).

I have a feeling this is going to be a big deal to a lot of people paying attention to the Oscars because the movie is so obscure (and so horribly bad if the trailer is any indication).

Just unbelievable. :shock:

I remembered this movie from when it was last posted here when I saw the nominations and was floored. I think I am probably the only person I spoke to who has heard of the film (I have a lot of cinephile friends who know the most obscure short documentary features and whatnot, but this wasn't on their radar obviously).

I think we will for sure know its rigged if it wins. Frankly, I don't think Bono winning would be any less obnoxious.

That video!

The incredible prayer about her quadriplegic body, being old and tired and having no breath --gee, including that in the video is not manipulative or anything. :roll:

It's a dull song with predictable music and trite lyrics. And it even does the half-step up modulation in the middle, and a "whoohooo" up an octave at the end -- the official signs of cheesiness!

I think we need to inform Huffpo, etc. about the demise of VF and why it (you should pardon the expression) went down. Those articles need more facts!

Here's the imdb listing for the film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1986769/

And the previous thread about the film:

http://freejinger.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19321

Oh, and brava to Katie Botkin again!

Another article:

http://www.avclub.com/article/obscure-o ... ile-107011

And now, much as it uplifted a family whose daughters were abducted by “savages,†that “song of their heart†has also uplifted the profile of Alone Yet Not Alone, which few outside the Christian movie market had ever heard of before today. That is, unless you were a member of the Academy: As Deadline reports, the song’s co-songwriter, Silverado composer Bruce Broughton, is a former Governor of the Academy and a former head of its music branch; meanwhile, the man behind the film’s score, William Ross, is conductor of the Oscar ceremony’s orchestra this year, just as he was last year.

Their “most grass roots of campaigns,†as Deadline puts it, involved Broughton making personal calls to their many well-placed friends within the Academy, urging voters to consider honoring his song before some of the many other short-listed contenders by the likes of Coldplay and Lana Del Rey. And so, like a family putting all its faith in the fact that godliness would prevail on the frontier—with the help of some heavy artillery—the Academy put its faith in Broughton, and Alone Yet Not Alone saw yet another miracle. Truly, God works in mysterious ways.

Another, with a comment from Katie Botkin below:

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/int ... ar-nominee

Among all of the ass-kissing on the AYNA Facebook page (mixed with a bit of complaint that the movie has not really been released), I found this pointed comment:

How on earth do you get nominated for an Oscar without the film actually being released???

:lol:

A group of friends sometimes gets together and snarks on bad movies (like MST3K, but with more beer, and we're not half as funny as Tom and Crow). I've asked one friend who's an expert in dodgy download sites to keep an eye out for it. If I can get hold of it, we'll watch it so you don't have to.

I would ask that if anyone else locates it, they PM me, but that would be illegal and bad and wrong to do such a thing, so I won't ask that.

Dammit, I have this stupid song in my head now, but just the actual bit where she sings 'alone yet not alone' because none of the rest of the song is catchy enough for an earworm.

I really think/hope that this is the academy giving an honorary nod to some of their own and that it's not being seriously considered. It's boring. I do hope though, that this brings to light how awful the crowd that made the film is and the probable awfullness/racism that is the film itself.

At my age, I don't have time for any music but the best, and you guyses' opinions count enough, for me, that I won't listen any farther than I did yesterday -- which was until they put the headphons on Ms. Eareckson Tada before she began to sing. Joni's politics to the side, I admire that woman infinitely for what she's been able to do in a lifetime of quadriplegia.

But I digress. What had me saying, "hmmm" at the very start was - get out your smelling salts - Joni leading the men in the room in a prayer. Phew! Did Doug Phillips Is A Tool know about that? :pink-shock:

Oh it's such a shame* that VF has closed, Doug Phillips Is A Tool must be gutted that he can't make manly declarations about the oscar nomination, or make wide stances on the red carpet (he so would have tried to get an invite to Oscar ceremony even if it was full of defrauding jezebels)

*Not a shame really, I'm so so pleased that he can't claim any of the glory :cracking-up:

Looks like the whole (?) Torres family participated- guess there aren't too many POCs in that circle.

Kelly Greyson

Natalie Racoosin

Jenn Gotzon

Clay Walker

Ozzie Torres

Tony Wade

Robert Pierce

Joanie Stewart

Joseph Gray

James Hartner

Cassie Brennan

Kelly Devens

Victoria Emmons

Brett Harris

John Telfer

Joshua Hunter Magers

Justin Tully

Ian Nelson

Hayley Lovitt

Paul Ganus

Jesse Medeles

Jerry McDonald

Jim McKeny

Tom Lagleder

John A. Lorenz

Ron Pinson Jr.

Rich Swingle

Thurman Bryan

Josh Murray

Joel King

Barry K. Bedwell

Rene Garcia

Arch Bonnema

Jubilee Phillips

Lourdes Torres

Carmen Torres

Rusty Whitener

Ted Johnson

Bonnie Johnson

CJ Legare

Max Van Bel

Carl LeMon

Sylvia Hutson

Candy Dennis

Greg Congleton

Ken McNeill

Ames Arnold

Bill Boyle

John Neely

Brett Moye

James Richards

Jake Jensen

Josh Phillips

Rebekah Cook

Coby Batty

James Blakely

Stacey Bradshaw

William Campbell

Gabriel Everson

Will Smithy King

Sean Kling

Ian Kyle

Rachael Lang

William J. Mode

Martin Mongiello

Rania Isabella Mongiello

Stormy LeAnn Mongiello

Randall Perry

Holly Robbins

Daniel Stibral

Spencer Weaver

David Foster

Gene Jarvis

Marshall Dancing Elk Lucas

Ed Mantell

Gavin Peretti

Melondy Phillips

Jerry Ramsey

Tim L. Smith

Hillary Styer

I wonder if Native American groups will give flack regarding this. The movie sounds pretty racist.

Adrienne (who writes the blog Native Appropriations) has written about it: nativeappropriations.com/2014/01/they-give-out-oscars-for-racism-now.html

Archived