IGNORED

Oscar nomination of "Alone Yet Not Alone"

Olive Plant

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest post by Katie Botkin on Patheos: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/tinseltalk ... not-alone/

Lots of discussion about the movie's connections. Plus the book and movie have "all the artistic and ideological subtlety of a Westboro Baptist picketing sign."

Yay, Katie! Glad to see all of the details I was hoping would come out.

Hope some more sources pick it up.

Yay, Katie! Glad to see all of the details I was hoping would come out.

Hope some more sources pick it up.

They probably will if posts like this are popular enough.

Is it just me or did anyone else get the feeling that Joni was picked to sing the song so that any knocks on it could be countered more easily? "How dare you pick on the song that was sung by that lovely quadriplegic lady!eleventy!! horrible secular person!"?

Maybe she's actually hateful and has been hiding it well (I remember listening to her on Christian radio as a kid and I know I've read something by her--but I'm not by any means an expert) and, regardless, she has been active in Christian circles long enough that she should know better, but I just read this as her being used without fully understanding the depth of their awfulness.

But I might be under-selling Joni's enmeshment with these groups--after all, they have been her bread and butter for 30+ years.

(end rambling. I should read up on this instead of just guessing)

Is it just me or did anyone else get the feeling that Joni was picked to sing the song so that any knocks on it could be countered more easily? "How dare you pick on the song that was sung by that lovely quadriplegic lady!eleventy!! horrible secular person!"?

I can't seem to find anything that gives me a strong sense of how involved she is with the Dominionist/Reconstructionist stuff. She certainly seems to be an Evangelical, conservative person.

Whether she is on board for all of it, or was used by them, I think there is definitely a "how could anyone pick on this poor, brave woman" aspect to her being chosen to sing the song.

The Unredeemed Captive by John Demos is good too. Eunice Williams did not want to return to her family.

I liked the book Follow the River. The filmed version was pretty hokey but in a so-bad-it's-good kinda way. So was Stolen Women, Captured Hearts.

Ken Wales, the film’s executive producer and also a long-time academy member, described the song’s disqualification as “almost a jealousy†by some in the industry who wonder “how could a little, tiny film that’s not been out there have this kind of response?â€

Wales suggested that other pressures might have come to bear on Isaacs.

“She’s probably holding on…because there is a lot of Jewish influence in the academy and they may all be saying, ‘You’re doing it right, stay your place’ because quietly, the Jews are wary of anybody pushing them out of their place whether Christian or non-Christian,†Wales told HollywoodNews.

:wtf:

Also, it seems even the man who caused the scandal is a bit put off by the reactions of right-wing Christians:

Broughton acknowledged that there has been speculation in the conservative Christian community that the song’s disqualification might stem from a left-liberal bias in Hollywood, but he said the Christian community “is getting a little weird about this.â€

http://www.hollywoodnews.com/2014/02/04 ... spotlight/

Frankly, I am surprised it took as long as it did after the disqualification for the anti-semitism to come out.

Me too. Unfortunately, canning the nom has only given this film a lot of free publicity it didn't deserve.

If anyone is interested, here Atlanta Live has a 20 minute interview with Kelly Greyson. I've listened to several minutes, nothing too interesting other than a few oblique references to her father teaching her to think for herself. There may be some other good tidbits in there I didn't catch.

watc.tv/ondemand/

They are blaming the Jews? I actually didn't see that coming. I was unaware that Jews were running Hollywood.

They are blaming the Jews? I actually didn't see that coming. I was unaware that Jews were running Hollywood.

I am still waiting for my check for owning the banks. :roll:

And when all else fails, blame the Jews. Or Obama.

Well you obviously need to catch up on the Protocols of the Elders of Zion then. Jews control everything :lol:

Frankly, I am surprised it took as long as it did after the disqualification for the anti-semitism to come out.

I'm not surprised it exists -- I just didn't think anyone would be that open and blatant about it!

Can't believe these idiotic Christianists actually said this stuff to the Hollywood Reporter.

Good though that the article mentions Jim Leininger. Anything that forces him & his activities into the sunlight is fine by me.

Just for good measure, I'll quote that bit here:

The faith-based film was underwritten by Dr. James Leininger, a wealthy San Antonio businessman and former physician, who is a big donor to GOP politicians, including Texas Gov. Rick Perry. And, according to the film’s official website, “Alone Yet Not Alone†has been endorsed by, among others, Dr. James Dobson of Family Talk, Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, Josh Dugger, executive director of Family Resource Council Action, and former U.S. Sen. and GOP Presidential candidate Rick Santorum.

I'm not surprised it exists -- I just didn't think anyone would be that open and blatant about it!

I am not surprised. Major celebrities like Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Roger Waters, Seth MacFarlane, Halley Berry, and Julian Assange (yes he gets criticized for other things, but almost never his anti-semitism) make anti-semitic remarks regarding Jews controlling the media which get ignored and dismissed. There are very little repercussions for making public, anti-semitic comments. It is still seen as an acceptable bigotry by many and they believe that the Protocols of the Elders of Zion are real and what they are saying is true.

I am still waiting for my check for owning the banks. :roll:

And when all else fails, blame the Jews. Or Obama.

Hehe. What you said reminds me of this article from The Onion (not breaking because, well it's The Onion)

http://www.theonion.com/articles/worldwide-jewish-conspiracy-worried-it-came-down-t,34815/

Worldwide Jewish Conspiracy Worried It Came Down Too Hard On Jeff Yesterday

JEWISH CABAL HEADQUARTERS, JERUSALEM—Saying that they never intended to behave quite so mercilessly, several prominent architects of the global Jewish conspiracy aired their concerns Thursday that they perhaps came down a little too hard on local man Jeff Crawford yesterday.

The Zionist leaders within the international political, banking, and entertainment spheres who together dictate the world’s economy, media, and political structures told reporters that they regretted wielding their enormous influence in order to hinder the unemployed 42-year-old roofer at every turn throughout Wednesday, agreeing that their combined efforts to systematically impede the non-Jewish man’s financial stability, happiness, and general well-being were “a bit much.â€

“While it is generally in our best interest to frustrate hardworking Anglo-Saxon Protestants like Jeff at every turn with our extreme wealth and power, I think we definitely went a little overboard on the guy yesterday,†financier Julian Rothschild told reporters from deep within the Semitic cabal’s secret underground headquarters five miles beneath Jerusalem. “Sometimes you just get so caught up in the fervor of working with every Jewish man, woman, and child to prevent the world’s gentiles from ever achieving success that you take things a little too far, and that’s exactly what happened with Jeff yesterday.â€

“Everyone feels just awful about it,†Rothschild added.

As characterized by numerous organizers of the massive conspiracy—including Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, banker Paul Warburg III, and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke—Wednesday’s attacks on Crawford were “a bit unfair†to the father of three and lifelong Methodist. Specifically, the conspirators pointed to instances yesterday in which Crawford was fired from a contracting job, had the interest rate on his mortgage raised, and was given false traffic updates by a Jewish-owned radio station, calling these episodes gratuitous and “way over the top, even for us.â€

Moreover, members expressed contrition over having ensured that Crawford’s recent loan application with Citibank was rejected yesterday, saying that, other than not being born of the Chosen People, Crawford had done nothing to deserve such harsh persecution.

“We were originally just going to raise the cost of his health care premiums and maybe mess with his credit score a little, but things quickly spiraled out of control,†said noted Elder of Zion Abraham Meyersicht, 102, saying that yesterday’s abuses were all the more excessive in light of the fact that Hollywood’s Jewish overseers had canceled Crawford’s favorite television show earlier this year. “And that thing where we had the police pull him over and give him a huge ticket after we sent a guy to knock out one of his taillights was just adding insult to injury.â€

“Jeff is basically a good guy who is just trying to make it in a world being viciously controlled by money-hungry Jews such as myself,†Meyersicht continued. “He didn’t deserve that.â€

Given the inordinate trials and tribulations suffered by Crawford over the course of the past 24 hours, several of the global conspirators said that the outright viciousness of their behavior has forced them to reconsider their future plans of adding bogus arrests to the goy’s criminal record, having the city seize his home through eminent domain, and ensuring that his children are denied admission into college.

Indeed, many members of the international Jewish syndicate confirmed that their excessive mistreatment of Crawford has caused them to rethink their overall approach to stymieing the progress of the world’s non-Jews at every opportunity.

“Sure, we control all the wealth and politicians and media outlets and motion picture production studios and courts of law and military arsenals and weather patterns in the world, but that doesn’t mean we need to be so completely cruel in our efforts to ensure that the Jewish people remain atop the social ladder for all eternity,†said Rothschild. “Just mainly cruel should suffice.â€

Rothschild added that he and his fellow Jewish collaborators would do their best to make it up to Crawford in the future, but added that they were all going to be pretty busy perpetuating the myth of the Holocaust over the course of the next few months.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A Mother Jones article contains this quote from the American Family Association:

The Academy is so overdosed on the fake, they can't seem to hear or see the real. Joni Eareckson Tada's powerfully delivered performance of "Alone Yet Not Alone" sung from the reality of a life lived with uncanny strength proved to be too much of the real thing. Hollywood and the Academy manufacture fantasy so well they seem incapable of recognizing true heroism or being moved by the deep expression of it in music.

:roll:

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/ ... -coalition

• 2 weeks later...
One month ago, quadriplegic singer Joni Eareckson Tada was on top of the world. Her rendition of the title tune "Alone Yet Not Alone" was nominated for Best Song and she was preparing to sing it at the Oscars. Then the song was disqualified after it was learned that composer Bruce Broughton, a former Oscar governor, had campaigned directly to academy voters during the nomination process.

Her Oscar dreams turned into a nightmare as the press began attacking Broughton for his dubious dealings and dismissing her film for its overtly Christian values.

Who's the ultimate victim in all of this?

It's not "Alone Yet Not Alone," it's not Broughton, it's not even Tada. Those most affected by the song's disqualification are the tens of millions of people worldwide who won't get to hear the beauty of her voice during the Oscarcast.

That's where my personal plea to producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron comes into play: Let Tada sing during the "In Memoriam" tribute on Oscar night!

Sure, that will solve everything. :roll:

goldderby.com/news/5660/joni-eareckson-tada-academy-awards-alone-yet-not-alone-song-disqualified-oscars-7584930261.html

The Oscars "In Memorium" tribute already can't hold a candle to TCM's tribute. Don't make it any worse by having Joni Eareckson sing this song!

Mother Love interviewed Kelly Greyson in November. If you can bear to listen:

http://www.latalkradio.com/Players/Moth ... ile=111413

Nothing new or shocking. She says she was really a "daddy's girl" (in the context of being athletic and his coaching her teams), she jokes that she's been in independent projects because the big studios haven't cast her yet, she talks about her research and inspiration for the part, she talks about her family and about being from San Antonio, but her family of origin is never mentioned by name.

I also found a pdf of US Production News from 2011 that shows James Leininger as a producer of To Have and to Hold, a film Kelly is in, and lists Mission City (formerly the VF film company) as the production company.

Title: To Have And To Hold

Type: Feature Film

Genre: Historical

Start Date: Oct 10, 2011

Director: Ray Bengston

Producer: James Leininger, Barbara Divisek [Email Address available for members only] , Cynthia Garcia Walker

BTL: UPM: Chris Bromley [Email Address available for members only]

Production Company: Mission City Productions

usaproductionnews.com/.../USAPN-September19th2011B.pdf‎

Can you imagine if the fundies ran Hollywood? We might be uttering the phrase, "Kirk Cameron, Oscar-winner."

jlaw-okay.gif

Archived