IGNORED

Oscar nomination of "Alone Yet Not Alone"

Olive Plant

Oh it's such a shame* that VF has closed, Doug Phillips Is A Tool must be gutted that he can't make manly declarations about the oscar nomination, or make wide stances on the red carpet (he so would have tried to get an invite to Oscar ceremony even if it was full of defrauding jezebels)

*Not a shame really, I'm so so pleased that he can't claim any of the glory :cracking-up:

Doug Phillips at the Oscars would have been glorious. Every single second of it.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doug Phillips at the Oscars would have been glorious. Every single second of it.

Can you imagine if the cellos started crescendoing in his presence? Oh my.

Can you imagine if the cellos started crescendoing in his presence? Oh my.

Dear Lord, think of the number of stringed instruments used during the "In Memoriam" piece alone!

Adrienne (who writes the blog Native Appropriations) has written about it: nativeappropriations.com/2014/01/they-give-out-oscars-for-racism-now.html

Good! The Academy needs to be called out on this.

And WTF with The Lone Ranger getting an Oscar nom?

I researched it when we first discussed it, and I'm pretty sure Ozzie Torres is no relation to the two VF Torreses in the cast -- I could be wrong.

I also remembered seeing Doug in the cast list, as Colonel Mercer, and think I even remember a picture. If you google Doug Philips Colonel Mercer you see several links with excerpts that still show his credit, for example:

oxNmUVm.png

When I click on that one, his IMDb listing is gone, as is his name in the IMDb listing for the film. IMDb is a bit like Wikipedia -- one can send in changes and corrections. So I guess they scrubbed his credit when he was shamed.

I suppose there's an outside chance that his part ended up on the cutting room floor (although, that could also be due to the scandal, and be part of what is delaying the release).

Other sites still show him in the cast list. This one, for example:

http://www.watchmoviesonlinee.net/films ... ree-online

Lying for Jesus, folks - :naughty:

Katie Botkin, awesome as usual.

kbotkin.com/2014/01/16/alone-yet-not-alone-in-a-sea-of-dominionism/

She really ripped in to ole Uncle Geoff and his 200 year plan..Good for her!

Well, you know I had to do this. It's been a long time since I had to write out the original lyrics on my own -- I've gotten so spoiled to C&P in my old age -- but these weren't anywhere online yet.

BTW, I like Joni's voice and the expression she puts into it -- I think it hides a lot of how trite the actual song is.

The original lyrics:

I’m alone yet not alone

God’s the light that will guide me home

With his love and tenderness leading through the wilderness

And wherever I may roam

I’m alone yet not alone.

I will not be bent in fear

He’s the refuge I know is near

In his strength I find my own

By his faithfulness he’s shown

That so mighty is his shield

For his love is now revealed.

When my steps are lost and desperate for a guide

I can feel his touch, a soothing presence at my side.

Alone yet not alone

Not forsaken when on my own

I can lean upon his arm

And be lifted up from harm

If I stumble or if I’m thrown

I’m alone yet not alone.

When my steps are lost and desperate for a guide

I can feel his touch, a soothing presence at my side.

By my side (key change!)

He has (?) bound me with his love

Watchful angels look from above

Every evil can be braved

For I know I will be saved.

Never frightened on my own

I’m alone yet not alone

I’m alone yet not alone

My thoughts:

It’s a flick, yet not a flick,

To release it, we’re not too quick.

But the song’s a nominee. How’d that happen? Don’t ask me!

And we hope that you don’t mind

That this line does not quite rhyme.

All the wags are making bets

Bruce and Dennis called in some debts.

But y’know, they could be wrong,

Maybe God just likes the song.

Yes our Lord, of love and might

Goes for rhymes so lame and trite.

When the film was made, with Doug we fellowshipped.

Now he’s in disgrace, so Dougie Philips may be snipped.

A flick, yet not a flick

Not for secular heretics.

We can lean on older tales

Showing scary Native males.

It’s not racism, can’t you see?

It’s manifest destiny.

We have lofty goals, lewd Hollywood we spurn,

But we feel we do deserve our first red carpet turn!

Will we burn?

Leiningers, with fortune vast,

May relive their storied past.

Now as Jim reclaims his house.

From that Vision Forum louse.

We’re in combat with Old Nick

It’s a flick, yet not a flick,

It’s a flick, yet not a flick.

BWVyVMbSzM4

Here's a little historical gem that I found on RootsWeb: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/PABERKS/1999-01/0917707919

Apparently there is a diary of Barbara Leininger Breckenridge out there somewhere. Hopefully it has been well preserved by the current owner or historical library. I'm sure that diary would be a whole lot better than than what this mockery of historical events or the book. Also if you Google "Penn's Creek Massacre 1755" you will find a lot of interesting things.

Here's a little historical gem that I found on RootsWeb: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/PABERKS/1999-01/0917707919

Apparently there is a diary of Barbara Leininger Breckenridge out there somewhere. Hopefully it has been well preserved by the current owner or historical library. I'm sure that diary would be a whole lot better than than what this mockery of historical events or the book. Also if you Google "Penn's Creek Massacre 1755" you will find a lot of interesting things.

More here:

http://www.pajack.com/stories/pennsylvania/regina.html

Interestingly, there already was an "Alone Yet Not Alone" song -- singing a German hymn was supposedly how the mother got the child to recognize her and remember who she was.

I haven't found the melody, but some of the original words are

"Allein und doch nicht ganz allein bin ich in meiner Einsamkeit.

Denn wenn ich ganz verlassen scheine, vertreibt mir Jesus selbst die Zeit.

Ich bin bei ihm und er bei mir, so kommt mir's gar nicht einsam vor."

with this rough translation:

Alone, yet not alone am I; Though in this solitude so drear; I feel my Saviour always nigh; He comes the very hour to cheer; I am with Him, and He with me; E'en here alone I cannot be.

The 12 year old boy in me found two of those lines switched way to easily to lines a about some godly sodomy. Sorry my lyrical satire is not nearly as developed as other FJ'ers. Yeah, this is so clearly a winner with these lyrics, haha.

Okay, I could only stand to watch about a minute of the movie trailer before my gag reflex set in (but I do stand by my vow to watch it and report back if I can - only if accompanied by several snarky friends and a gallon of merlot, however).

In the video that thoughtful links to above (in her excellent song rewrite), the frame you can see when it isn't playing is a dark-haired woman. I think she's also on one of the posters. Does anyone know whether, in the movie, this is a white woman who has been raised by Native Americans, or whether it's a white actress playing a Native American? I can't tell how she fits into the "two blonde girls cruelly kidnapped by primitive savages" storyline.

Sorry to go OT, but I can't get this Spamalot song with a similar title out of my head:

The song is OK, and honestly I feel most of the songs that are nominated for Oscars are just "ok." The weirdness is in that the movie is so.damn.obscure.

This could have been a pretty interesting story, but the way the filmakers portray the savages vs. Godly Christians makes me break out in hives. Why can't a good story just be a good story, and not be soaked in the kool aid?

In the video that thoughtful links to above (in her excellent song rewrite), the frame you can see when it isn't playing is a dark-haired woman. I think she's also on one of the posters. Does anyone know whether, in the movie, this is a white woman who has been raised by Native Americans, or whether it's a white actress playing a Native American? I can't tell how she fits into the "two blonde girls cruelly kidnapped by primitive savages" storyline.

I believe that part of the storyline involves blond girls having their hair darkened, I assume so they won't stand out, although this review from Dove.org has it that:

The Indians taunt her by dying her fair skin dark and her golden hair black
:roll:

dove.org/mobile/review.asp?Unique_ID=9932

Some of the book can be read here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=SS-flr ... ok&f=false

And here is an article about Tada's response to the controversy:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... nomination

Can you tell I find all of this strangely riveting? :lol:

Not really related to the thread, but I remember at some conference Gothard took the credit for Tada doing so well in her life. According to him she was fat and miserable but then she went to a Basic Seminar, spoke with Gothard and her life was changed forever. :roll:

So the plot of this movie is that the bad brown skinned people persecute the beautiful, white skinned, blond haired, blue eyed people but God is on their side so it all works out?

It ameks more sense that this would have been nominated thanks to...I'll be generous and say an in-person word-of-mouth marketing campaign, considering the nominees are chosen by peers (so actors nominate for acting awards, visual effects people nominate for the visual effects awards...). In that case, someone who's been part of the Academy for a long time could possibly get a song in by campaigning to the members they know. Thank god the actual awards are chosen by the votes of all Academy members, at least.

It ameks more sense that this would have been nominated thanks to...I'll be generous and say an in-person word-of-mouth marketing campaign, considering the nominees are chosen by peers (so actors nominate for acting awards, visual effects people nominate for the visual effects awards...). In that case, someone who's been part of the Academy for a long time could possibly get a song in by campaigning to the members they know. Thank god the actual awards are chosen by the votes of all Academy members, at least.

If this song wins an academy award, it will be due to bribrs and payoffs.

Can you tell I find all of this strangely riveting? :lol:

I am personally LOVING this.

Apart from the hilariously rigged "nomination," I think there's a high likelihood that some national sunshine will shine on this murky & slimy corner of Fundie-world.

All to the good, in my book.

Apart from the hilariously rigged "nomination," I think there's a high likelihood that some national sunshine will shine on this murky & slimy corner of Fundie-world.

I'm hoping for that, too!

Where is Satcheen Littlefeather these days? :D

2QUacU0I4yU

Sorry to go OT, but I can't get this Spamalot song with a similar title out of my head:

:lol:

These keep battling it out in my head:

rJ21y-DZifw

pimnpW_OHx4

IkMFLUXTEwM

D_P-v1BVQn8

When one has Everything's a Song Cue Syndrome, just the word "Alone" can do that! :D

From what I can tell, Barbara Leininger Breckenridge was 12 when she was kidnapped, and escaped after 3 1/2 years. It seems a little odd that Natalie Racoosin would morph into Kelly Greyson in just a few years :shifty-kitty:

"Narrative of Marie Le Roy and Barbara Leininger"

http://archive.org/stream/jstor-2008530 ... 7_djvu.txt

About "Colonel Mercer", the character Dougie plays in the film:

Colonel Mercer helped and aided us in every way which

lay in his power. Whatever was on hand and calculated to

refresh us was offered in the most friendly manner. The

Colonel ordered for each of us a new chemise, a petticoat, a

pair of stockings, garters

I'm picturing an 18th century Dougie digging through the personal stash of women's lingerie he secretly wears under his Colonel's uniform :lol:

About "Colonel Mercer", the character Dougie plays in the film:

I'm picturing an 18th century Dougie digging through the personal stash of women's lingerie he secretly wears under his Colonel's uniform :lol:

:lol:

Well, there's another thing this production company has in common with Evil Hollywood -- type-casting!

I am personally LOVING this.

Me too - I hope this blows the Dougiegate saga wide open.

Some familiar faces, from the "Alone Yet Not Alone" Facebook page (where, BTW, astute commenters have noted the anomalous Plains Indian costumes...):

970818_532402706807813_1058495067_n.jpg

Archived