IGNORED

blogger eats starbucks for a whole year

sarahbrownie

Yeah, you guys probably saw this on buzzfeed. This woman spends the year thrifting for her and her children so she can take that extra $600 a month and spend it on eating fancy coffee and cakes at starbucks. She's not fundie, or I think she isn't, but remind me about a lot of our fundie bloggers that make their kids suffer for their own whimsical self-indulgence. My mistake, thrifting was her 2011 challenge. However, I still think about what she could have done with that extra $600. Put it into her kids college fund? Go on a vacation? Make memories with her kids instead of buying cakes and frothy coffee?

Then she tries to masquerade her self-indulgent "challenge" as feminist issue by stating

"when I watched those guys doing their thing I asked myself “where are the WOMEN challenging themselves in the world?†“Where are the effects being shown on a woman’s culture?â€
:clap:

livingthegoodwilllife.wordpress.com/

for1yearofmylife.com/

Seriously. How selfish. Sure, everyone needs to spend a little money on themselves, but at least make sure the children's needs come first. I cant believe she spent $600 on coffee and cakes for herself. Sure, maybe go and get coffee and cake once a week if you can afford it-I certainly do, but how much must you be getting to spend $600 a month in Starbucks? Its a waste of money, this is not a challenge, its being greedy.

Shes just like a fundie. As much as they say that feminists are selfish, they manage to be the most selfish parents ever. Everything they do is for their own convenience and not for the children. They neglect their babies by ignoring their cries so they can have a good night sleep. They teach their children to do chores from an early age so they do less. They teach their teenagers to raise children, so they can have as many kids as they like and not have to parent any of them but the newest. They beat the curiosity out of their kids because beating a baby until it is afraid to leave the blanket is easier than actually watching the kids, and spanking their kid for every little thing is easier than working out peaceful solutions. They cut out as much as possible for the kids, but I don't see any fundie parent deciding to sleep in the living room because they can only afford a 2 bedroom house and have 10 kids. Nope, they will have the huge master bedroom and the kids sleep squashed into one room.

My understanding of the article was that the buying everything from Goodwill was a personal challenge one year and she wasn't denying her children in order to do a Starbucks challenge. I think this woman is a little off, but it doesn't seem like she's negatively impacting her children by choosing to eat at Starbucks for a year.

My understanding of the article was that the buying everything from Goodwill was a personal challenge one year and she wasn't denying her children in order to do a Starbucks challenge. I think this woman is a little off, but it doesn't seem like she's negatively impacting her children by choosing to eat at Starbucks for a year.

Just came here to post that exact thing. Goodwill for a year was her 2011 challenge and had nothing to do with this year's challenge. She's crazy, but she's not neglecting her children by eating Starbucks. (2012 challenge was following all of the advice in Parents Magazine :pink-shock: )

What is a "Starbucks inspired" store? Just something that is set up like a Starbucks? (I don't know any of these brands.)

Her self-established rule was that she could eat anything sold at Starbucks or from a "Starbucks-inspired" store or brand such as Roy Street Coffee, Tazo Tea and Evolution Fresh.

Honestly, I am shocked she could do it for under $600 a month.

nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/seattle-woman-eats-starbucks-food-year-article-1.1563828#ixzz2pFxJAzEO

My bad. I was a bit confused with the different blogs, I didn't see that she created one per challenge. I still think she doesn't have her priorities straight and a little :cray-cray:

This is the challenge part of commenting on this is that it's not that I don't think people should reward themselves. But clearly $500-600 a month on starbucks for yourself is excessive.

I read this last night too. I mean a personal challenge? I guess everyone needs their word but this is a bit strange. well when you legally name yourself Beautiful Existence anything is possible. at least ti was not mcdonalds. Hey maybe they will give her frequent eater miles.

I feel sick. So much sugar! How is this a "challenge"? Do the Starbucks in Seattle have better food? All we have in my town is reheated sandwiches and pastries. How does she not have scurvy or diabetes?

I found the linked websites confusing. Is her 2014 challenge to buy everything at REI? That's not a challenge.

I feel sick. So much sugar! How is this a "challenge"? Do the Starbucks in Seattle have better food? All we have in my town is reheated sandwiches and pastries. How does she not have scurvy or diabetes?

Besides the sugary treats they have salads, cut up and whole fruit, oatmeal, breafast sandwiches and regular sandwiches and wraps. Some locations have hot soup. It's a pretty boring diet, and grossly overpriced, but not terrible.

For what it's worth, Starbuck's does offer some healthy stuff for lunch. You can get some of those health drinks there, such as the Odwalla brand, as well as organic milk. They larger stores also offer salads, sandwiches, and fruit/veggie platters with chicken and eggs. I sometimes stop for the healthy stuff if I'm in a hurry and want a good lunch, but it sure isn't cheap. If I treat a friend and we get drinks and one or two of the entrees each (they're small, so not unreasonable to want a couple to fill up), I could easily drop almost 30 dollars.

Given the expense involved, I also wonder at what she was trying to prove here. She could have done so many other useful things with that money.

ETA: Ninja'd by Molly Trolley ;)

What exactly was the point of this? What did she learn from doing it?

That when she does idiotic stunts, the media will give her some of the attention she so clearly craves?

What exactly was the point of this? What did she learn from doing it?

This was featured on the Today Show this morning and I thought the same thing.

I think she's clearly an attention whore. The challenges each year are her attempt to gain a lot of attention. She's probably super pissed that she hasn't attracted much attention before this year's challenge.

OK, I love me an occasional Starbuck's latte. Most of their food is overpriced and suffers from having been frozen first. I got a couple of SB gift cards for Christmas, and I will enjoy a few lattes as a special treat.

I cannot even imagine $600 PER MONTH!!!ELEVENTY!!! on SB. (Not even an option... if I had a free $600 a month, I have a mile-long list of more important uses, including home- and car maintenance and repairs, a dentist bill with an outstanding balance, etc, etc...)

I don't get it either. Usually when people do these challenges it's to do something constructive or to do something to improve themselves. I've seen people blog about not buying anything new for a year, not eating out for a year, reading X number of books in a year, etc. this women pledged to.....treat herself to a latte and line Starbucks already fat pockets for a year?

That when she does idiotic stunts, the media will give her some of the attention she so clearly craves?

I am assuming she learned that she hasn't landed on the annual challenge that will net a book deal yet and she must keep trying?

Seriously, this "do some dumb stunt for a year and blog about to get famous" fad needs to go away. Now.

$600 a month is more than I pay for rent each month. There are so many ways this money could have been spent and could have made a huge difference in many people's lives. If she's looking for acclamation she went about it all wrong, imo.

This was featured on the Today Show this morning and I thought the same thing.

:pink-shock:

Your shitting me? Why hell is this a story when there is so many other that a far more interesting and good.

Archived