IGNORED

Who pays for One Ton Ramp classes?

quinoa

Best guess....there's something wrong with the printer. The cause of most of my paper jams is named Eli. A quick blast from canned air or using one of those little computer vaccums gets the hair out nicely.

Ten Best Office Space Quotes

But thank you for the tips ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Maxwells may be missing a great opportunity with 1-ton ramp. They could be advising fundie families on how to start, market, and maintain their own homebased businesses. Anyone with hanlf a brain realizes that those computer courses are worthless, but many people need help with the business side of their home-based industries.

Of course....that would require the Maxwells to have 1) creativity and innovation, and 2) some good ideas about self-promotion and business strategy. Never mind.

With the exception of Nathan, Steve is really very secretive about what the other sons do for a living. Christopher's photography business seems to be only a part-time endeavor, not a full-time thing. The construction business, based on the dead website, seems to have gone belly-up and Steve makes only vague references to the other sons' jobs and projects. I'm sure most of them are involved in Communications Concepts (or whatever the umbrella organization is called these days--they have so many defunct sites it's hard to figure out) but I can't imagine how it keeps all of them busy all day long, and we all know that busy is key. That vagueness is really a Maxwell trademark though. They're never specific about anything, be it work or traumatic experiences in the real world like Sarah's sleepover and so on.

I think the Maxwells may be missing a great opportunity with 1-ton ramp. They could be advising fundie families on how to start, market, and maintain their own homebased businesses. Anyone with hanlf a brain realizes that those computer courses are worthless, but many people need help with the business side of their home-based industries.

Of course....that would require the Maxwells to have 1) creativity and innovation, and 2) some good ideas about self-promotion and business strategy. Never mind.

Well, they've started having round table discussions about home based businesses at their conferences, so maybe they're heading in that direction.

It wouldn't surprise me if that's the next book Steve writes. In Steve's case, he might have had a nest egg from his years in the work force when he started his own business. So, I'm not sure his advice would be on target for a younger, less educated man.

And for all of the Maxwell's bragging that their adult sons are all employed, their employer is none other than dear old dad.

The Maxwells, like the Pearls (and perhaps the Browns, the Botkins, etc.) seem to be trying to hide the fact that their offspring just can't cut it, and that Mom and Dad are still their main means of support.

As ever, they dug their own hole. Working for family would be no shame if it weren't for their self-righteousness about how they raise their children.

At various times, many of my relatives have been involved in the family business my grandmother started in the 1920s. I worked there myself (briefly and badly!), my parents worked there for years, enjoying the fact that they got to be together all day. My aunt enjoyed the fact that it provided well enough for her to stay home and be with her children. Some cousins never worked there, but the money from it sent them to college.

Two of my cousins still run it. One has two adult sons who have helped in the business at times, but got a college education and have a true choice of doing that or something else.

Nobody in my family lays claim to some magic formula for raising perfect Godly children, educated with no help from outsiders, yet magically brilliant and skilled at all things. So we have nothing to hide about the fact that the family business was a much-appreciated fallback for some of us at times.

Not to mention that the business was started by a woman, and one of the cousins still running it is female and has no children. It wouldn't even exist in their world, and we all would have been poorer and sadder.

Not being self-righteous can be so handy! :D

Oh yes, tons of people work at family businesses, run family businesses, inherit family businesses. Farms too. In 2013 there are plenty of those kids who go away to real universities to get education to help with those family businesses too, be it various agricultural degrees, business degrees or whatever.

When I was in school one of my classmates was getting an agricultural degree, his family ran a mail-order sperm business which he eventually took over. Yep. Keeping herds of animals to use as studs for remote people to increase their herds with known good lines.

What's so weird to me about the Maxwells isn't just that their adult kids live at home, but that (1) they're treated as children, to the point that they can't regulate their own lives or have freedom on the internet, and (2) they've never LEFT - and I'm not even talking about living away, plenty of people don't, but they've never had a peer group outside the house or attended any schools or had any outside jobs, EVER.

Healthy multigenerational family businesses treat the kids as adults once they're... adults, and consider it an investment in the family biz for those kids to either get outside schooling or work in someone else's similar business for a while to learn how things are done.

The Maxwells, like the Pearls (and perhaps the Browns, the Botkins, etc.) seem to be trying to hide the fact that their offspring just can't cut it, and that Mom and Dad are still their main means of support.

Yes. This is the biggest problem with these home schooling, isolationist fundie families. The children have not rebelled but their curiosity and innovative spirit seems to have been beaten out of them. They all seem to be perfectly content to stay at home. Maybe smacking infants who want to explore beyond the blanket's edge was not such a good idea after all?

Computer Essentials - - - - $200

A+ Track - - - - - - - - - - - -$1000

HTML - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $250

PC Reloading - - - - - - - - - $175

Well that price list looks about right....if this was 1995.

Looks, to me, like they had a cool idea for offering in-demand computer courses to a niche market but over time those services have become much, much cheaper ( or free!) . I wonder if they are only able to get any business is because their customer base is so shielded in their Internet use that they just don't know that there are other options?

Archived