IGNORED

I Want to Write a Book

No Cure for Stupid

Lately, I've really found myself wanting to write a book. I've been writing stories since I could write, period. Why am I posting this here? I want to write an urban fantasy book about a recovering fundie from a mega family.

The main character has always seen things, but tried her best to keep them to herself. Her parents believe she is possessed, and they have her exorcised. The event is so traumatic that she ends up attempting suicide. Disgusted, her parents kick her out, and she has to fend for herself for the first time. The silver lining? She finds out that she's not possessed or insane. She is actually seeing ghosts and through the disguises of angels, demons, and other supernatural creatures. She gets recruited as a demon hunter and pursues a career as a police officer.

I was hoping that someone could lead me to some resources for my story. I need to know more about growing up fundie such as rules and expectations. I want to name my main character after a rebellious woman of the Bible; preferably a name used multiple times so the name would be more fundie-approved.

The biggest resource I need is some kind of free, online KJV Bible with verse translations that I can actually understand.

Thank you so much for any help.

That sounds really cool! As for rebellious women...well, Esther's pretty obvious. Judith? Abigail? Keep in mind that in those times, the threshold for "daring" wasn't too high.

I thought about Esther, but it just sounds kind of old. I never knew much about Judith, but it rather fits. Jude is also the patron saint of lost causes. I've been thinking about Mirium as well, wasn't she some kind of seer?

• 2 months later...

Hagar is not a very pretty name (to my ears, sorry if I'm offending anyone here), but her story as the outcast of Abrahams family but ending up being the mother of a new world religion through her son Ismael, might go well with your character and with some fundie-circles obsession with rather obscure biblical names.

If you wanted Esther as a template, you could go with the form Hadassah instead, I've met fundie girls with that name before.

Or you could make the family VF and go with one of their "puritan" names, Reformation Helpless or how about Jolly Vanity :dance:

Archived