IGNORED

Snakes seized from Snake Salvation pastor.

Cannelle

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131 ... 19207097=1

TWRA cites snake-handling East TN pastor Andrew Hamblin, seizes snakes

An East Tennessee pastor who handles snakes as part of his faith has been cited by TWRA, and his venomous snakes have been confiscated.

According to TWRA's Matt Cameron, wildlife officers went to Andrew Hamblin's home in LaFollette Thursday morning and asked him if he had any venomous snakes. Hamblin said he did, and they were at an undisclosed location.

When the officers asked him if the snakes were at his church, the Tabernacle Church of God, he said yes. Hamblin took the officers to the church where they seized 50 of the reptiles.

Hamblin was cited with possession of class I wildlife (wildlife inherently dangerous to humans). He has a court date scheduled for November 14 at 9 am in Campbell County.

The snakes will be held at the Knoxville Zoo as evidence.

Hamblin appeared on the National Geographic reality show "Snake Salvation."

As much as snakes scare the ever loving shit out of me I feel horrible for them. He was so proud of that albino rattler, said how rare it was, and then it died AFTER A MONTH. I'm glad they're at a zoo where they can get some good care.

Make no mistake, he will defy the court order or start a new church somewhere else.

I know he will continue to do this shit, but at least the snakes are under better, more professional care. Why, oh WHY, can't these stupid people see this as a SIGN from God rather than persecution for their faith???

FTR - I don't think it's a sign from God. I think they are fucking idiots.

I know he will continue to do this shit, but at least the snakes are under better, more professional care. Why, oh WHY, can't these stupid people see this as a SIGN from God rather than persecution for their faith???

Because the god they worship thinks exactly the same way they do and wants the same things they do. It's a very convenient sort of deity.

Because the god they worship thinks exactly the same way they do and wants the same things they do. It's a very convenient sort of deity.

I've always like the saying "God created man in His image. And then man returned the favor."

I feel like he should be allowed to handle snakes during church as part of his religious expression. It's all voluntary and a risk they are willing to take.

I feel like he should be allowed to handle snakes during church as part of his religious expression. It's all voluntary and a risk they are willing to take.

It is not voluntary for the snakes. These snakes are taken out of their natural habitat, abused and killed.

Religious freedom only goes so far. If it is harming another living thing, it has gone too far. These snakes are kept in awful conditions, in tiny boxes and aren't fed properly, and don't live as long as snakes are supposed to. That is animal abuse.

Sure, keep snakes and bring them to church, that's okay-just as long as the snakes are in a suitable environment and getting their needs met. I would love to have a pet snake.

Religious freedom only goes so far. If it is harming another living thing, it has gone too far. These snakes are kept in awful conditions, in tiny boxes and aren't fed properly, and don't live as long as snakes are supposed to. That is animal abuse.

Sure, keep snakes and bring them to church, that's okay-just as long as the snakes are in a suitable environment and getting their needs met. I would love to have a pet snake.

Yeah I can get on board with that. The snakes should be treated well, fed well, not thought of as disposable.

Hello everyone! Love this forum. I was so glad to see the topic about Snake Salvation. I'm deathly afraid of snakes, but this show makes me feel sorry for them. I wonder how these people would feel if they were snatched out of their natural habit and forced to live in a small box. Yes, these people definitely pick and choose what they want to believe. If not, then why on a couple of episodes did I see members, INCLUDING Andrew Hamlin, smoking?! Guess they decided not to honor what God says about treating your body like a temple! :angry-banghead:

These folks drive me batty. The animal abuse, the playing with fire in small wooden buildings, the misogyny. 21yo Trina not being able to remarry or have kids since her loser husband left and be a part of the church? Lovely. But what also gets my goat is dear Andrew, father of four or five kids, PAYING for snakes when he doesn't have a paying JOB? asshole.

... Yes, these people definitely pick and choose what they want to believe. If not, then why on a couple of episodes did I see members, INCLUDING Andrew Hamlin, smoking?! Guess they decided not to honor what God says about treating your body like a temple! :angry-banghead:

I agree that they the "pick and choose". I don't, however, see it as an intentional "pick and choose". These are rural niche, uneducated people. The phrase "systematic theology" is not available to them. They have picked up a niche belief system from other uneducated believers.

They don't believe that smoking harms the body as "temple". This view is very widespread in rural NC, TN, KY, where generations have grown tobacco as a cash crop. Even subsistence family farms may have a tobacco allotment - an amount of acreage they are "licensed" to grow tobacco on. Tobacco use - smoking, chewing, whatever - is common and widespread, and not necessarily viewed as sinful in those small rural churches. My Dad grew up in East TN, in that environment, and developed an opposite attitude. Growing up he experienced violent illness from the handling of tobacco during harvesting (tobacco toxins are absorbed through the skin) and he has always hated tobacco with a passion. But I would say that he is an exception. (He also was determined to get out and get an education...)

Anyway - I have been following the Hamblin saga ever since the story of Hamblin's WV mentor's death from snakebite made national news. I can't snark on them at all. It just makes me sad. Uneducated adults, very young, unemployed, with a bunch of kids (pretty much pregnant with the next immediately after each birth), and seemingly no way to improve their kids' lives. Her FB used to be completely open and it was all out there for the world to see. I think I posted on FJ in an earlier thread that I hoped that the TV show would at least provide some money that might improve the kids' lives. Anyway - I personally can't get past my concern for the human children to even worry about the snakes...

Where do y'all get info now that both of their fb's are locked down? You are s right that it is sad. They are SO young and so uneducated. Their poor kids...

I don't for the simple reason that it's life threatening. If this were to happen in the secular world would be criminal, especially if anyone got bit and/or died.

Where do y'all get info now that both of their fb's are locked down? You are s right that it is sad. They are SO young and so uneducated. Their poor kids...

The only recent info I have has been from watching Snake Salvation on Nat Geo, and what little info has been in the regular news media. I'm not surprised that the snakes were confiscated, after televising his breaking of TN law in having the snakes. It's not like it was undercover or hidden.

I'm glad for their kids' sake that their FBs are locked down now.

I don't for the simple reason that it's life threatening. If this were to happen in the secular world would be criminal, especially if anyone got bit and/or died.

I would add the comment that every right that is given to Americans by the US constitution has limitations... including freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, etc, and including religious freedoms. When I was growing up, I was always taught that my rights may end where the next person's nose begins.

But people have the right to do a lot of things that are life-threatening and I don't know that this would be criminal in the secular world. If a bunch of grown-ass men said, "Hey, let's go buy a bunch of poisonous snakes and dance with them," and did it, there would be no laws broken in many states, as long as they had the proper permits. If someone got bit, it wouldn't even be manslaughter if they were part-owner of the snakes. By law, people are allowed to put themselves in stupid and dangerous situations: Base jumping, Bull riding, watching Fox News . . .

I have no problems with it as long as everyone is 18 or older and the snakes are kept in proper environments, with sufficient food and water. Snake abuse is bad.

Edited because I know the difference between aloud and allowed. I swear.

Also, I have never watched this show, so why is it almost exclusively only men handling the snakes?

The men seem to be the most passionate it. They ate the preachers and so they are in charge of the snake handling. The women do handle snakes too. The one guys daughter did. I feel so bad for her. Like someone mentioned she is only 21 and getting divorced. When she became depressed over it and didn't want to go to church they were relentless in calling her backslid and saying she was going to hell. There's no remarriage allowed.

Also, I have never watched this show, so why is it almost exclusively only men handling the snakes?

Women also handle snakes in their church, if "moved" to do so. But men seem to be the only pastors, and it looks like the women are pretty much skirts-only, long hair, etc trapping of fundiness.

They ate the preachers and so they are in charge of the snake handling.

I am REALLY hoping this is a typo and they don't pass down magical snake handling and preaching abilities via cannibalizing those who get bitten. :pink-shock:

Archived