IGNORED

Snakes seized from Snake Salvation pastor.

Cannelle

Women also handle snakes in their church, if "moved" to do so. But men seem to be the only pastors, and it looks like the women are pretty much skirts-only, long hair, etc trapping of fundiness.

I have noticed (thankfully for their privacy) that on the show, Hamblin's wife is not videotaped much, and his kids pretty much not at all. (After the Duggar mess, I am really glad that the kids still have some privacy). However - his wife does handle the snakes. When her FB was open, she had photos; she even handled them when she was pregnant.

I shudder when I think about all those very little kids losing a parent.

At the very least it violates wildlife laws. In many states it is illegal to have native reptiles and other wild animals as pets or in captivity (except zoos, sanctuaries, and rehab facilities). In the secular world if that animal bites or kills someone the criminal charges could range from child endangerment, assault, manslaughter, to murder. Given all of that, please explain how religion should get a free pass?

Furthermore, what is shown on that show is far removed from reality. In a lot of these churches parishioners are coerced into handling snakes. These people are just as fundie if not worse than the fundies we snark on. So that would be spiritual abuse. And, yeah, I know that's not a crime.

. I would love to have a pet snake.

I'll call you the next time I find a rattler in my garden.

Update: he's pleading not guilty.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131 ... 19533999=1

LAFOLLETTE, Tenn. — An East Tennessee pastor who appears on a reality television show about snake handling in church has pleaded not guilty to possessing venomous snakes.

Campbell County pastor Andrew Hamblin of Tabernacle Church of God in LaFollette was cited Nov. 7. The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency said the 22-year-old Hamblin took officers to his church, and news outlets reported more than 50 snakes were seized.

The Knoxville News Sentinel said Hamblin told reporters and onlookers before appearing in Campbell County General Sessions Court on Friday that the case isn't about snake handling but freedom of religion.

Hamblin appears on the National Geographic show "Snake Salvation."

He's charged with possession of Class 1 wildlife, a species inherently dangerous to humans.

Update: he's pleading not guilty.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131 ... 19533999=1

LAFOLLETTE, Tenn. — An East Tennessee pastor who appears on a reality television show about snake handling in church has pleaded not guilty to possessing venomous snakes.

Campbell County pastor Andrew Hamblin of Tabernacle Church of God in LaFollette was cited Nov. 7. The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency said the 22-year-old Hamblin took officers to his church, and news outlets reported more than 50 snakes were seized.

The Knoxville News Sentinel said Hamblin told reporters and onlookers before appearing in Campbell County General Sessions Court on Friday that the case isn't about snake handling but freedom of religion.

Hamblin appears on the National Geographic show "Snake Salvation."

Isn't that lying??

He's charged with possession of Class 1 wildlife, a species inherently dangerous to humans.

This is going to be an interesting case. In more recent years (as in decades after the original anti-snake handling law was passed), Tennessee passed a state religious freedom act. Hamblin's going to challenge his indictment based on the latter law, and guess what, boyzngirls? He's got a good chance of winning.

Why do the snakes have to be poisonous ones?

There are loads of kinds of snake that are non dangerous, youd think they would choose one of them if they wanted to handle them

Why do the snakes have to be poisonous ones?

There are loads of kinds of snake that are non dangerous, youd think they would choose one of them if they wanted to handle them

I think the point is to test your faith. If God loves you, you survive the deadly snakes. Not so much of a risk and a test if the snakes aren't likely to kill you.

Actually, I've heard from a friend who lives in way south Ga that the trick is to make sure your hands are approximately the same temperature as the snakes' so you won't upset them when you pick them up.

I think the point is to test your faith. If God loves you, you survive the deadly snakes. Not so much of a risk and a test if the snakes aren't likely to kill you.

Actually, I've heard from a friend who lives in way south Ga that the trick is to make sure your hands are approximately the same temperature as the snakes' so you won't upset them when you pick them up.

And that the snakes are half-starved, and therefore listless.

Archived