IGNORED

Illinois passed marriage equality!!!!

quincygal

Depends on where in the midwest. Minnesota (where I live) was the first Midwestern state to pass marriage equality. :dance: I agree that the rest of the Midwest will be very difficult though. I was terrified that the marriage amendment would pass, but then it failed, then marriage equality passed and I sobbed at the buzzfeed article for posted on August 1.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-75-m ... -first-day

Utah will also be among the last, though.

Not to take away from Minnesota, but I thought Iowa was the first mid-west state to allow marriage equality?

Not to take away from Minnesota, but I thought Iowa was the first mid-west state to allow marriage equality?

Iowa passed it, but it was by judicial decision whereas in MN it was by legalization. So, it depends on how you look at it. Some Iowans and Minnesotans get into fun lighthearted debates about which was "first" in that regard.

Illinois may be the most corrupt state in America but we got this right.

Illinois may be the most corrupt state in America but we got this right.

:lol: I've been saying that New Jersey, like any broken clock, can still tell the correct time 2x a day. :P

@sunshine: Polygamy is different.

Same-sex marriage: Involves two consenting adults and no coercive religious background. The adults are over 18 and have lived in the "real world." The two adults can be a mutually supportive unit; either both work, or if one doesn't, that partner can be adequately provided for by their one spouse. Fewer children *tend* to result here than polygamy (YMMV, but mostly true), and those children are statistically more likely to be better provided for than children in polygamy.

Polygamy: People, sometimes a minor or a person who's grown up in a coercive religious background that requires the woman to be submissive and gives the man absolute power. They may not have lived outside of their "religious bubble." Statistically, because of sheer family size, the husband is less likely to be able to adequately support all wives and children. Many children tend to result, and taking that and the fact that many polygamist women feel they have to stay home, there are fewer resources for the children, meaning they're often less provided for. They also get, to be blunt, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 of a parent, etc. in their dad, since they're effectively their dad's second, third, fourth etc. family.

Archived